Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

Just now, The_Steve said:

But there’s a huge differential in squad position between them. One comes to be part of the squad. The other would expect to start. He doesn’t fit the profile. Unai made an exception for Ross. It happens but all our purchases show we are actively reducing the squad age. 

Sterling could equally prove to be an exception on the right deal though. Obviously it's all hypothetical, but let's just accept the notion that the club are interested in him on loan and it somehow works out financially. In that case he's a 29 year old player only coming in for one season, to fill a position vacated by Diaby that the club have seemingly been trying to fill but have struggled due to differing - but presumably predominantly financial - factors. In that case it doesn't effect the long-term age profile of the squad as it isn't a purchase and is only a temporary fix.

It's like when Purslow outlined a general transfer strategy when first promoted and people acted like there would never be exceptions from it, so whenever we were linked to a player on loan, or one that was above 25 they were written off as lies only for them to actually happen in a few cases.

I just don't see how this signature would correlate with the talk that we are tight on the PSR/whatever the UEFA CL version is. Sterling is way above our wage structure, and if reports are true we are already in the upper limit of that for the Champions League PSR. I cannot see this happening for that reason. The only thing he offers the current squad is experience in the CL. Nah, this is extremely unlikely to happen imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I absolutely love how you speak like you’re the authority on the matter and you know EXACTLY why Unai signed Barkley.

You know nothing. 

Mate. I will say this once - you take my posts way too personally and it's getting a little irksome with the sniping. 

It’s what Monchi said. He’s much more of an authority than you also. 

“With Ross, it was a personal decision from Unai,” said Monchi. “Together with me, but Unai wanted him 100 per cent because he knows him after playing against Luton twice". 

https://archive.is/arUfu 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

the more flexible Chelsea are likely to be with their loan fee. 

Loan fee for someone the manager has publically stated will get no minutes and is training separate from the 1st team. They have no bargaining position. "We'll cover half his wage and you'll be happy with that".

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

But Ross isn’t here to start. Sterling would come with that expectation. Not the same. 

I dont think anyone comes to a champions league club with the expectation to start, do they? Unless they're ridiculously good. Hes coming from a conference league team where he isnt picked to play football. He'd play a lot of football for us of a likely 50 to 55 game season. 

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Loan fee for someone the manager has publically stated will get no minutes and is training separate from the 1st team. They have no bargaining position. "We'll cover half his wage and you'll be happy with that".

Well, they will wait to see if they get a better offer from somewhere else first. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If we are looking at this it will be a loan move. The closer we get to the deadline the more flexible Chelsea are likely to be with their loan fee. 

Loan with an option would be perfect to be honest

Just now, LondonLax said:

Well, they will wait to see if they get a better offer from somewhere else first. 

True. I'm not sure whether I want that to happen or not :) 

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’d think Chelsea are holding out for a move from one of the Saudi clubs. I think that’s the only way they sell him. Otherwise it’s a loan to the likes of Villa and they cover 30-50% of his wages for the year. 

47 minutes ago, BOF said:

Loans are only structured as a Loan fee though. If the Loan fee matches the players salary 100% then it's called "paying all his wages". All Loan fees come as income to the club Loaning out the player. While they continue to pay the player etc..

15 hours ago, villarule123 said:

He was one of the best players in a title winning Pep side a couple of years ago. People on here never learn. 

The same stupid comments when Tielemans was about to sign, when McGinn was brought back into the team, Watkins being made our main striker for the foreseeable etc. 

Emery will bring the best out of any player that comes into the club. 

One of their best players? Nah. With him starting they always came unstuck in the CL. There's also a reason he's only 29 and nowhere to be seen for Chelsea nor England. He's not that good.

• Like 1

All depends on how much hunger and desire he still has, it’s mental to think he’s not 30 yet, feels like he’s been around forever, reality is he’s already had a ‘full career’ having been in first team football from such a young age, I worry that it’s just not there any more. 

• Like 1

A selfish player who has an adversity to passing to other attacking players.  A tendency to dive in the box.  An expectation to play.  Poor performances over the last 2 or 3 years.  A real burden around Chelsea's neck at the moment.  I really don't see why we would get involved in this one.  Granted a good attacking player that can unpick teams playing a low block would be nice, but I don't think he is that player.

• Like 1

I can’t see what Sterling can offer Villa right now. For £300k a week we gain an out of form, experienced DOB, that may still be slightly better than what we already have. 

Even on a reduced wage loan, we putting him in our shop window with game time to keep his value for Chelsea, at the expense of our own players game time. 

loan to buy or straight buy, we have to give him a contract to the end of his career, because no matter how good Emery might be able to make him, we won’t be able to sell him. (Much like Carlos, Digne, Moreno) 

JJ, Rogers and Philogene, need that game time he will take for their own development.  Bailey and Buendia need that time for their own value. 

All these players are/will be good enough for what we trying to do. Sterling really only offers experience and i don’t believe that is worth anything close to what we’d have to pay him. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

This would be another journey man signing by Villa. It just doesn’t equate to this window’s buying policy. Villa should be looking at Sancho but not at the original quote price of 40m. I’m sure Man U would agree to and loan to buy deal for around 30m.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Attacked an international team mate at a training camp because he made a hard tackle on him in a game

Forced a move out of Liverpool then gloated online with Delph

Undermined his current teammates by going to the press that he got dropped instead of keeping in house

But sure its all racism

1. Maybe international team mate deserved it, not everyone is friends in football

2. Got offered a lot more money to leave Liverpool (and a better opportunity) and they wouldn't match it so he left. As for the "gloating" with Delph, that was harmless. You'd want to be awful petty to be offended.

3. Had to force a more out of Chelsea as he was left in the bomb squad.

I'm not standing up for him per se, but you seem to have an irrational hatred of a lot of people in football...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â