Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

The deal and the price need to be right, BUT...

image.png.02facac1ceeb14d5726aa4a622b88d52.png

^^ that could be invaluable this season. A goal or assist every other game in the Champions League? I know he's not at that level any more, but surely he's a good option in the squad? 

If he's not 'at that level any more' why do we think he's reaching that level again any time soon ? 

....and please don't give me the 'but Unai can fix him' routine......

Unai's a wonderful, first class manager but theres a limit to his powers. Ask Nicolas Pepe.....

1 minute ago, Pottervillan said:

Making our finances work. Less fees

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Because it's a one year commitment to Sterling that allows a five year commitment to Geertruida.

Sterling became available about 3 days ago, we'd prioritise Geertuida over an attacker imo. If we could afford him, we'd buy him. Im not sure loaning Sterling is "money saved".

It'll be "we can only afford a loan" and other signings will continue to wait for a further sale, likely of either Carlos or Cash

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Atletico wanted rid of Felix, Bournemouth wanted rid of Mings, Chelsea wanted rid of Maatsen, Everton wanted rid of Digne, City wanted rid of Rogers etc etc.

I hate these over simplifications of complex situations.

Nyland got worse treatment than Olsen and went on to be number one in a team competing in Europe consistently etc.

It's like when we happen to lose to a team then a lesser team beat them and we use it as proof that we are now shit lol

Football isn't this black and white.

I’m over simplifying to make a point (and I think you know that).

We are, right now in this moment in a better situation than the club who deem him not good enough for them.

Of course there are situations where complexities such as injuries, wages, stage of development etc mean you look past simple league placings, but I really don’t think this is one of them.

Sterling is past his best and can’t get a game for a club who I don’t believe will finish in the top 6 again. Yes there’s a lot of players contesting places there, but he’s had plenty of chances with Chelsea and shown nothing to warrant a transfer to a club in the Champions League.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Can't we just get Geertruida without getting Sterling in that case?? 

I think the previous posters are premise was about bringing in both.

I feel like this is maybe a smoke screen for something else.

He doesn't feel like a very Unai/Monchi signing and this one has come out of nowhere, conveniently in the same week he's been seemed surplus at Chelsea. Seems overly opportunistic for the way we do business.

Reckon there might be something else afoot

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He can play as a central for or on either wing. He's got an amazing amount of experience and by all accounts is a top professional. 

Four days ago he released a statement after being left out the Chelsea squad. That's 10x worse then anything young daft Jhon did.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It all comes down to how much will he cost us for a season of football. 

£0 and I'm interested.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s better than JJ for a start. By a **** mile

Don't be ridiculous :lol:

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Im 100% in on this deal. Experienced operator, class player and means we don’t see Buendia again this season.

Seriously, what’s not to like? Even if it’s only for a season. 

You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Yeah but he can’t pass and just runs fast.

🥴

He isn't fast.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

If he's not 'at that level any more' why do we think he's reaching that level again any time soon ? 

....and please don't give me the 'but Unai can fix him' routine......

Unai's a wonderful, first class manager but theres a limit to his powers. Ask Nicolas Pepe.....

I didn't say he was reaching that level again. 

I didn't say anything about Unai 'fixing' him.

I'm thinking about situations where we need to rotate, and we have Rogers (who I think is fantastic), Watkins (fantastic), Bailey (very good), JJ (very good), Buendia (very good) and looking at their Champions League experience, and comparing it to Sterling. 

In a situation where we might be playing away, one nil down, need a point, CL fixture, one of the less experienced players isn't quite performing well, and there's someone with a G/A every other game at that level, or someone like JPB (prospect, not a starting XI player for me for a long time) - I know who I would pick. 

Again, as long as the price is right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I didn't say he was reaching that level again. 

I didn't say anything about Unai 'fixing' him.

I'm thinking about situations where we need to rotate, and we have Rogers (who I think is fantastic), Watkins (fantastic), Bailey (very good), JJ (very good), Buendia (very good) and looking at their Champions League experience, and comparing it to Sterling. 

In a situation where we might be playing away, one nil down, need a point, CL fixture, one of the less experienced players isn't quite performing well, and there's someone with a G/A every other game at that level, or someone like JPB (prospect, not a starting XI player for me for a long time) - I know who I would pick. 

Again, as long as the price is right.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

He's a multi multi multi millionaire has-been footballer. He won the lot domestically. He's no longer hungry. He's got nothing to prove.
Releasing a statement about him being dropped hours before his teams 1st PL game shows his class. 
dont-do-it-stop.gif

Edited by Pongo Waring

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â