Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Not a fan really, but he's an improvement on Diaby 😏 so I'll trust the manager and his staff....

I think diaby is better to be honest but a loan for sterling would be a decent deal for us for one season. 

Outside of his initial breakthrough season with Benfica, Joao Felix hasn't managed more goals in a league season than the amount Sterling got with Chelsea last time out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Yes

A club we are quite literally above right now want rid of him, so I would say we’re above him.

Atletico wanted rid of Felix, Bournemouth wanted rid of Mings, Chelsea wanted rid of Maatsen, Everton wanted rid of Digne, City wanted rid of Rogers etc etc.

I hate these over simplifications of complex situations.

Nyland got worse treatment than Olsen and went on to be number one in a team competing in Europe consistently etc.

It's like when we happen to lose to a team then a lesser team beat them and we use it as proof that we are now shit lol

Football isn't this black and white.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, macandally said:

Some of the comments on here, I swear we have some who are turning into Arsenal arsehole fans! 

Drop the arrogance boys, we have not won a trophy in 20 years so have done nothing bar finishing top 4 as yet 

It’s possible to doubt the wisdom (in a non arrogant, Arsenal arsehole way) signing a guy fast approaching 30, who’s entire game is built on pace, and genuinely doesn’t seem like an improvement on what we have - while costing the earth in terms of the wages our squad pick up. 

Even if we got a good season out of him, what then? The Coutinho situation comparisons aren’t wrong, imo. In a world without PSR then sure, why not? But in this league, with our financial constraints, and gaps in areas much more in need of cover… I see no logic in this one at all. 

Edit: If it’s a year loan and what Unai really wants. Fair enough. But a perm deal makes me shudder. 

Edited by Awol

Whatever happens, this thread needs to be preserved for all time. There is a lot of absolutely classic VillaTalk transfer window nonsense here. 

Basically, if this is how it works. If Emery/Monchi want him and if the money /contract terms all work, we will get him and it's hard to see how he could be anything but an asset to the team.

But there are some big"ifs" in there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, useless said:

123 Premier League goals, 62 assists,  that puts him in the all time top twenty for both, 27 Champions League goals and 17 asssts, 20 goals for England, and it's not as if his recent stats look bad, and that's in a under performing Chelsea team, he's obviously got some far out pedigree

As well as all this has played for Liverpool, Manchester City, and Chelsea all his career, won footballer of the year, the Premier League title four times, the FA Cup, the League Cup fives times, I don't particulary want us to sign him, but a video of his bad moments isn't any kind of reason not to sign him, when you've got all his achievements that prove he has actually been decent in his career, doesn't matter that a lot of those achievements came at Manchester City, he had to be very good to be part of their team in the first place and he himself played his part in their success during that time

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Enjoy this its actually comical. He gets chances because of his pace but he's a dreadful footballer. Without pace he'd be in league 2.

Because there are of course no fast players in League Two.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think diaby is better to be honest but a loan for sterling would be a decent deal for us for one season. 

I just can't understand this kind of statement. It makes me wonder what Sterling has to do to get a smidgen of respect, and also makes me wonder what people saw in Diaby. 

Diaby might have tried doing what Sterling can do but it never worked. I barely saw Diaby go past a single man in the last ten or so games. 

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Atletico wanted rid of Felix, Bournemouth wanted rid of Mings, Chelsea wanted rid of Maatsen, Everton wanted rid of Digne, City wanted rid of Rogers etc etc.

I hate these over simplifications of complex situations.

Nyland got worse treatment than Olsen and went on to be number one in a team competing in Europe consistently etc.

It's like when we happen to lose to a team then a lesser team beat them and we use it as proof that we are now shit lol

Football isn't this black and white.

Chelsea wanted rid of KDB & Mo Salah.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The deal and the price need to be right, BUT...

image.png.02facac1ceeb14d5726aa4a622b88d52.png

^^ that could be invaluable this season. A goal or assist every other game in the Champions League? I know he's not at that level any more, but surely he's a good option in the squad? 

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Why would us taking Sterling on loan secure us a signing of a RB?

Because it's a one year commitment to Sterling that allows a five year commitment to Geertruida.

It looks like the Mirror broke this story saying that Chelsea had 'offered' Sterling to us. Then the Times published their article saying we are in talks to sign him. So possibly a case of a paper upping the ante to get clicks when there's no real substance to the claims. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â