Leaving Social Media

Marka Ragnos

Twitter / X - Awful cesspit of a website full of nutters and worse. It's also kind of ruined on topic on this website with the amount of pointless Villa related spam that gets posted from there. If I wanted to see a daily picture of a player giving a thumbs up, I'd go on Twitter. 

Facebook - I have it but I'm on the verge of closing my account. I never post anything on there anyway.

Instagram - I quite like Instagram tbf, I can get lost in the Reels on there and it removes most of the bullshit that comes with FB. I do find the insecure people pretending they have a happy life by posting their daily stories amusing though. 

Tiktok - I have an account but never use it. It seems to be a place for lazy jobless people to sit around at home and talk to other similar people on live videos, or annoying kids. 

This thread will probably get its own entry in the dictionary as the definition of "Stitched up like a kipper". 

• Like 1

I forgot Reddit actually. That's probably the best one by far as it's actually really helpful (fixing technical issues etc) and quite well moderated on the whole, from what I've seen. 

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

It's not social media that's affected quality of life, it's having it all (and other stuff) so readily available on a smartphone.

I always say my life was fuller and more productive before I had a smartphone (I was quite late, getting one in 2013).   I'd love to just toss my iPhone into the sea and get a Nokia 3310.  Maybe I'll do just that.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761188ykf1oyo0mrclelxs

Sorry, can't say no to Skeletor.

10 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I've got an anonymous facebook account for Messenger, but that's about it.

I use reddit rather than X, FB or TikTok as I find that people will often undress propaganda and ¤#% there in two minutes.

Best investment my daughter did for her family was to invest in a phone lock box with a timer. They put their phones in there around 6pm every night and have only an old Nokia 3200 or something to call and text with. Their mental health is flourishing and my granddaughter is no longer a screamy tantrumy spoiled little one. She's flourishing.

Screen time = dopamin rush\crash.

Saying Reddit is clear of propaganda is a wild take.

17 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Saying Reddit is clear of propaganda is a wild take.

Not clear, just quickly called out, and you choose your own subs. You aren’t spammed with it like on fb and x.

I've been DJing for 20 years and hosting my own parties for 6/7 years.

I got trapped into the 'nothing exists if it's not on social media' story.

It might be true if you've no personality outside of your social media, but many people (particularly those in similar work) hide behind social media posts to protect themselves from actually being human, doing graft, meeting people and making connections.

Every platform can be a fantastic tool - but why would you ever be worried about connecting with someone online (you have a phone number) if you not gonna meet em in real life? I don't get it.

If you feel like you need an account, set up a burner and use it to follow events, football, artists, **** that toxic shit outside of that.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Not clear, just quickly called out, and you choose your own subs. You aren’t spammed with it like on fb and x.

Tbf they do spam suggestions for subreddits etc, but generally on reddit you can doom scroll in somewhat peace.

As for social media I'm on various forums, predominantly this one, facebook (basically inactive), linkedIn (only when I'm looking for a new gig), instagram (memes only), reddit (various subreddits on games, music production, MTB, or just looking for tips on how to solve various problems, but generally I try to avoid politics...), youtube (same as reddit), twitch (esport events), various discord servers (mainly my buddies), whatsapp (this is a chat app no?)...

..guess I drink from the poisoned challice quite a bit.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

As for social media I'm on various forums, predominantly this one, facebook (basically inactive), linkedIn (only when I'm looking for a new gig), instagram (memes only), reddit (various subreddits on games, music production, MTB, or just looking for tips on how to solve various problems, but generally I try to avoid politics...), youtube (same as reddit), twitch (esport events), various discord servers (mainly my buddies), whatsapp (this is a chat app no?)...

..guess I drink from the poisoned challice quite a bit.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cryfsurzzwv8wd9flw

Heheh. It's cool.

In general, I think if people like it, they should do it, but be thoughtful about the dangers? Having just been off of it for a couple months has been a real eye-opener for me, and I highly recommend taking a break as a way to learn more about yourself and our weird world. I'd forgotten certain things, things that seem small but turn out to be important. Example: I find I'm more available for the people I really care about, and as a result, they're sometimes more available, too. Second example: I'm diving into deeper reads and longer-form media. I missed it and didn't realise how much!

I myself wasn't having any fun -- it felt more like a chore. It's weird because I guess I started to feel like my thinking was being subtly shaped by certain norms I just didn't want to embrace. I guess that sounds a bit hippy-dippy,  or maybe this sort of thing that happens to older men when they're about to become obscure hermits, but I may just need a long break. Never say never. 😉

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

I used to be on twitter (many years ago), but nothing now. Too many idiots.

Just stick to VT now, it's got everything I need 

I wouldn't know what DHUTWU means without VT

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This thread will probably get its own entry in the dictionary as the definition of "Stitched up like a kipper". 

Stick it in the Hall of Fame already.  

I hope everyone on here doesn't leave Twitter because this is the place where I get to read all the stuff I want to read on there without having to join it, like my own personal filter especially with the Villa and bolitics.

I left twitter about 6 or 7 years ago

there was a pic of dublin headbutting savage, I commented "should have hit him harder" got a ban, deleted the account 

with all the shit that's flinging around that place i got a ban for that, nope I'm out

the others now are more just adverts, I follow accounts rather than friends, way back when Facebook seemed more about communicating with people and shouting things out like going down the pub or organizing villa etc, been replaced by WhatsApp as much as anything else

When Social Media started it was actually genuinely fun, nobody took it too seriously. 

The whole influencer culture has ruined it. Soon people realise nobody gives a toss what your up too the better. 

• Like 1

Facebook is unrecognisable from what it was just a few years ago, and nothing like what it started out as. 

You can’t have an opinion on anything as everyone is connected to, and sharing their comment with their friends, neighbours, parents, cousins, colleagues etc. It’s none of their **** business. 

It’s why VT is so good ❤️

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am addicted to TikTok

My favourite one is the girl who brings fast food to the car and then makes a crude comment and goes huh huh 

And the Hawk Tuah girl

And the ones with professional eaters

And the fellow who makes his belly dance to that yes yes yes Didi Dday song

Edited by Follyfoot

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â