Leaving Social Media

Marka Ragnos

Xitter - still have an account (As above for FPL mainly now)

Facebook - still have an account, rarely post anything but it is a way of keeping in touch with people. My account was made private a long tima ago and there isn't anyone on there I don't know personally.

Instagram - I have a default account, never knowingly used it.

TikTok - never have I ever entertained the idea

Threads - started recently, far more sane than Xitter but I'm reserving judgement. People on Threads seem to understand that engagement with knobheads drives more knobheads, block and don't engage appears to be the key, the algo learns from this.

Reddit - yep, but I'm hardly a karma farmer

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Also totally unnecessary: TV, radio, films, books, sport, art, music, alcohol, drugs, holidays, restaurants... 

I worry you think social media is as important as holidays??

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The problem child is Facebook. On the one hand, it connects me to a wider circle of friends, outside the 20 or so on WhatsApp - people with whom I interact somewhat infrequently, but definitely want to keep in contact. It's good for local news, gigs, etc. There are quite a few interest groups (music, books, history, art, science, photography, football, humour, etc.) that I really like. 

Pretty much this.  I find Facebook very useful, especially if you can sift through all the crap that comes with it. 

I also use Facebook and Instagram for my business. Insta is a bit shit because it's basically just pictures. Facebook algorithms can be very shit so it's difficult to get traffic to my page.  

But overall they're worth it imo. 

Don't use any others, other than VT ( plus WhatsApp, messenger etc)

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I worry you think social media is as important as holidays??

That's not what I said. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I've looked, but never been a member of social media, Facebook,  instagram Twitter 

Adults shouldn't need social media unless for business.

Do you only do things that you need to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I've looked, but never been a member of social media, Facebook,  instagram Twitter 

Adults shouldn't need social media unless for business.

I'm just shocked with people who can't do without it.

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

Your twitter handle is in your signature :lol:

That is **** amazing :D 

• Like 1

I think he's clearly referring to that specific post.

But it's **** hilarious to claim to have never had a Twitter account... to have your handle in your signature with over 1.3k tweets :D :D :D 

That guy, man.  That guy.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmm, nothing much to do with me, but not sure about posting ancient bits of social media. Feels a bit personal. There are other options.

I genuinely thought hard about whether to post it, but the Twitter handle in the signature felt like a green light to me.

@foreveryoung - it genuinely just made me chuckle at such a Kenneth opportunity. Nothing more to it than that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmm, nothing much to do with me, but not sure about posting ancient bits of social media. Feels a bit personal. There are other options.

I know what you mean, but it’s not really any different to quoting an old VT post - it’s all public and not private.
  • Like 4

Yes.

I had a nasty row in a football group chat on Instagram the other day which has prompted me to massively limit how often I use social media, at least for the time being. I am already feeling better mentally, getting more done during the day and going outside more. I've also completely left AVFC twitter behind because I can't be bothered with all the outlandish takes and knee-jerk reactions, so I have switched to VT completely. Not that those things don't happen on here but they seem to be less frequent and for some reason they are easier to ignore? Being in my 20s now I feel like it was time to get off of football twitter anyway, this place seems far more appropriate and enjoyable which is why I am also a supporter.

But yeah, completely agree, coming off of social media for a bit and sticking to VT for football stuff has been a great decision so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

But yeah, completely agree, coming off of social media for a bit and sticking to VT for football stuff has been a great decision so far.

I might have said this before. VillaTalk is social media.

:trollface:

• Haha 1

FB has definitely got more insidious as not just Zuckerberg has seen it as a way to get in peoples' heads.

That's just the way social media in general has gone. Wealthy tax swervers, domestic racists, flat earthers and Putin's people chat shit at the idiots.

Groups moderated by nice people are great though :)

Classical music Facebook is amazing. Some of this generation's greatest players chatting with the public and each other.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â