Champions League 2024/25 League Phase Draw

maqroll

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Newcastle weren't humiliated, the whole perception around this is stupid, in 2/3 years time the only people who will remember their CL campaign is them and they'll have fond memories of it, they played Dortmund psg and Milan, the whole point of being there

Playing 8 "easy" ties just to say we got out the group and then losing to a top team just seems like a waste of time

Non one outside of us will remember it anyway 

Can you remember who arsenal played in the group stage last year? Can you remember who knocked them out? It means nothing apart from the fans 

This whole post is nonsense.

We're extremely unlikely to win it, obviously, but as deep a run as possible would be exciting and a great return to top level European football. Hopefully by doing so we could attract bigger names also. Its not to "say we got out of the group stage" at all. Its because fans should want their team to venture as far as possible in every competition we enter. Is finishing 10th in the PL an achievement? For most clubs not really but its better than finishing 15th. We beat the UEFA Cup holders Inter Milan in 1994. Then embarrassingly exited to Trabzonspor the very next round, taking the gloss off the Inter tie.

Who gives a shit what other fans remember? Do you think anyone but us remembers our epic League Cup run in 1994? No but our fans who are old enough, have cherished memories of it and rightly so.

All last season I heard many fans saying "I dont care about winning the Conference League, qualifying for the CL is more important". I disagreed but fair enough. If those same fans are now saying "I want a big tie, not an "easy" route out of the group stage" then Im dumbfounded by that attitude. A deep run means more money, more exposure and great memories for fans. We dont know when we will be back in the CL, it could be years or decades. I dont give a shit about playing Real Madrid, I want us to go as far as possible and any other way of thinking is insane to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This whole post is nonsense.

We're extremely unlikely to win it, obviously, but as deep a run as possible would be exciting and a great return to top level European football. Hopefully by doing so we could attract bigger names also. Its not to "say we got out of the group stage" at all. Its because fans should want their team to venture as far as possible in every competition we enter. Is finishing 10th in the PL an achievement? For most clubs not really but its better than finishing 15th. We beat the UEFA Cup holders Inter Milan in 1994. Then embarrassingly exited to Trabzonspor the very next round, taking the gloss off the Inter tie.

Who gives a shit what other fans remember? Do you think anyone but us remembers our epic League Cup run in 1994? No but our fans who are old enough, have cherished memories of it and rightly so.

All last season I heard many fans saying "I dont care about winning the Conference League, qualifying for the CL is more important". I disagreed but fair enough. If those same fans are now saying "I want a big tie, not an "easy" route out of the group stage" then Im dumbfounded by that attitude. A deep run means more money, more exposure and great memories for fans. We dont know when we will be back in the CL, it could be years or decades. I dont give a shit about playing Real Madrid, I want us to go as far as possible and any other way of thinking is insane to me.

I cared big time about winning the ECL because it was a real possibility 

CL I want big games, real Madrid away Bayern at home, I'm not going to judge this season on how far we get, if we get to the quarter finals by playing no one of any merit then great we get some more money, we won't remember a thing about it but we'll get £10-20m more 

If this is our only CL year for another 40 years no one is ever going to sit there and say do you remember the time we got the QF playing Sturm Graz and pocketing £20m!!! What a time to be alive...everyone will remember real Madrid at home - especially if we beat them, that's life time memory stuff, getting out the group isn't 

I can remember the inter game, I can't remember a thing about the trabzsponsor game 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I cared big time about winning the ECL because it was a real possibility 

CL I want big games, real Madrid away Bayern at home, I'm not going to judge this season on how far we get, if we get to the quarter finals by playing no one of any merit then great we get some more money, we won't remember a thing about it but we'll get £10-20m more 

If this is our only CL year for another 40 years no one is ever going to sit there and say do you remember the time we got the QF playing Sturm Graz and pocketing £20m!!! What a time to be alive...everyone will remember real Madrid at home - especially if we beat them, that's life time memory stuff, getting out the group isn't 

I can remember the inter game, I can't remember a thing about the trabzsponsor game 

You remember beating one of the best sides in Europe but not limping out to no name club a few weeks later. Well that's a shock! You could apply that to literally any games from the past. We all like to forget losses.

You mention Bayern. We won this competition by beating Bayern ffs. Now we've resorted to just being happy to play them! Tell the grandkids we drew 1-1 with Bayern in the CL group stage, they'll be all ears!

Dortmund reached the final last year. Spurs a few years before. A mediocre Ajax got to the semis. If they can do it, we can do it. We'll need luck, a good draw, some outstanding performances of course but its possible.

I completely disagree with your first sentence as well. Whatever happens in the CL this season, I'm going to remember it, good or bad. But from a purely business perspective, a deeper run means more money which should mean better signings which in turn should mean we have a better chance of being back here soon. Or just better equipped to win something domestically, which is something we are in dire need of doing.

• Like 1

I don’t know. I fondly remember us beating Strømsgodset after trailing 2-0. They obviously aren’t Inter Milan, but I have that memory despite their modest pedigree.

This doesn’t help the conversation much, but I don’t really care who we draw. It’s going to be fairly tricky regardless.

It feels inevitable that we will face “a name” so in that sense I think the quota of glamour will have mostly been met.

We can do both, have some glamour games and still qualify so not sure why the either/or scenario is being floated already.

Not sure why there's a perception we'd lose all the glamour ties either.

Newcastle took 4 points off PSG with Mbappe so I'd fancy us v them, Juventus (get a feeling we'll get them due to Doug) and also Barca who aren't that strong imo.

For top sides I'd say avoid Real Madrid and Bayern Munich but they'll be some decent teams down the pots like Leverkusen and Atalanta who could trip us up like Olympiakos did. Girona and Bologna the best ones to draw as both have lost key players from last season's overachievers, great away trips aswell.

The reality is only 8 teams go out so we'd have to be really bad in this to be threatened with elimination compared to the previous format.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We can do both, have some glamour games and still qualify so not sure why the either/or scenario is being floated already.

Exactly this.

The benefit of 8 games is that we'll get a few glamour ties, a couple of winnable games and a couple that could go either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just watching the BBC highlights and they've attempted to explain the new format, 11 get eliminated from the group league so I stand corrected.

That can't be right. There's 36 teams, an even number need to be eliminated so its 12 teams.

Its top 8 through and then while the teams finishing in 9th to 24th place will compete in a two-legged knock-out play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition. 

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just watching the BBC highlights and they've attempted to explain the new format, 11 get eliminated from the group league so I stand corrected.

It should be 12?

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

That can't be right. There's 36 teams, an even number need to be eliminated so its 12 teams.

Its top 8 through and then while the teams finishing in 9th to 24th place will compete in a two-legged knock-out play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition. 

Back to Maths school on GCSE results day for me....

Id love to know how much money was spent on that slightly edited CL anthem. Just zero need for that and they have hardly changed it yet somehow made it worse. Annoying, if the sound guy at Villa Park is reading this please just play the classic one.

• Like 1

Semi related, but since there's isn't a thread for 5th place for CL yet I think, Fiorentina is loosing 2 nill at home to Hungarian side. Italy topped last season's UEFA Ranking, it was gonna be hard for them to maintain that with 8 teams this season, but if Fiorentina goes out that's gonna be instant 0 divided by all the rest of their teams, practically eliminating them already from finishing in top 2 this season! 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's clickbait

It's basically the same

It’s not as “full-bodied” and it is inferior in my view.  Always feared they would change the music before I got to hear it at Villa Park…

1 minute ago, Stephen_Evans said:

It’s not as “full-bodied” and it is inferior in my view.  Always feared they would change the music before I got to hear it at Villa Park…

If they didn’t announce the change I doubt anyone would have noticed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Whilst i agree its not as full bodied, the fact the vocals are more audible kind of makes it a but more chilling. I like it, but think I do prefer the original. That isn't the full length version anyway is it? Maybe the full version keeps some of the more meaty sections of the backing track...