Champions League 2024/25 League Phase Draw

maqroll

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

My glass half empty points prediction. Even with a pessimistic hat on, 8 points should still be enough to qualify.

It's crazy...i never even contemplated it...but we have a real chance of finishing in the top 8 if we turn 2 or 3 of those draws into wins

Bayern - 0

Juve - 1

Celtic - 1

Bologna - 1

Leipzig - 0

Brugge - 1

Young boys - 1

Monaco - 3

TOTAL = 8

That would be a dreadful turn out from us that I be probably questioning Unai job 😂

13 hours ago, claretman said:

How much are we thinking for the cheapest home ticket?  Heck must be creaming his pants.

He's been consulting with Liam and Noel regards pricing.

17 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Is that who we played in ‘82? I wasn’t born so I’ve never actually thought to look at our route to the final!?

No, I meant the feeling that we had when the draw was made back then. It was Valur, Dynamo Berlin, Dynamo Kyiv, Anderlecht and then Bayern back then. My optimism built with each round. :flag:

It's a nice draw this time round, in that we get to play the 1982 runners up again, play an all British tie with Celtic, get an opportunity to avenge our QF defeat in 1983 against Juventus as well as to welcome back Douglas.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, John said:

No, I meant the feeling that we had when the draw was made back then. It was Valur, Dynamo Berlin, Dynamo Kyiv, Anderlecht and then Bayern back then. My optimism built with each round. :flag:

It's a nice draw this time round, in that we get to play the 1982 runners up again, play an all British tie with Celtic, get an opportunity to avenge our QF defeat in 1983 against Juventus as well as to welcome back Douglas.

I think i'm being dumb but i didn't realise we got to the European Cup Q/F the following year after winning it.  Is that because as holders we stayed in the competition again?

Another thing to note is the format of this stage completely changes the approach towards each game.

Bigger teams will be unlikely to be able to rest in any games as they would drop out the automatic qualification spaces, middling teams the same, for fear of not getting the playoffs.

Furthermore, we will need to look carefully at our opponents other games - if they have a bunch of tough fixtures, they will be targeting our game as the must win. If not, we may be able to sneak wins/draws if they underestimate us by trying to rest a player or two.

Are playoffs seeded? Or does 9th play 24th, 10th play 23rd... or is it a free for all?

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

This Saturday six years ago we were losing 4-1 in the championship to Sheffield United. El ghazi scored that consolation in the second half as Sheff U basically stopped playing. 

Tomorrow we find out the dates that we welcome Bayern Munich and Juventus to Villa Park in the champions league. 

It really couldn't have gone much better could it?

Absolutely.  It's been a staggering recovery!

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think i'm being dumb but i didn't realise we got to the European Cup Q/F the following year after winning it.  Is that because as holders we stayed in the competition again?

Yes, we beat Besiktas and Dinamo Bucharest in the earlier rounds. That was some Juventus team by the way. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bayern put up a West Ham photo on the official website

Shots fired 

I bet that was deliberate. They still can't accept that we beat them back in 1982! :D

If they were looking for one, this would have done the job:

Aston Villa 1982 European Cup Winners shirt signed by 11 - Autograph It Now

Edited by John