Champions League 2024/25 League Phase Draw

maqroll

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You want a mix of both. No point being in Champions League and not testing ourselves against the best

We have a very low chance of winning it outright

true but we have a high chance of making the playoff and round of 16 if we get a favourable draw (bearing in mind that if we don't finish in the top 8 then the higher up we finish means the easier of playoff game in theory). the club gets around £10m per knockout round we compete in, so whilst winning it is highly unlikely, it would be nice to progress as far as possible

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Why do you want to draw all the best sides?
Do you wanna draw the best sides in the league cup and fa cup too??

I want the easiest draw possible so we can win the champions league. 

Because it’s our first time in the competition in 40 odd years. Hopefully it’s our first of many, but it might not be. 

The whole point of being in the elite club competition in the world is to play the best sides. 

I want the biggest teams possible. I want to look forward to playing Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Not Rb Leipzig and Club Brugge, even if that gives us a better chance to qualify 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

true but we have a high chance of making the playoff and round of 16 if we get a favourable draw (bearing in mind that if we don't finish in the top 8 then the higher up we finish means the easier of playoff game in theory). the club gets around £10m per knockout round we compete in, so whilst winning it is highly unlikely, it would be nice to progress as far as possible

We can all remember the night we played shakhtar Donetsk and got an extra £10m for the club rather than playing Real Madrid at the bernabeau

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We can all remember the night we played shakhtar Donetsk and got an extra £10m for the club rather than playing Real Madrid at the bernabeau

I remember that, and later we played Real Madrid at Wembley.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

i'd much rather play real madrid in a quarter/semi final than the league phase. THAT would be special.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd much rather play real madrid in a quarter/semi final than the league phase. THAT would be special.

I want as many of those kinds of ties as possible. With the seeding there’s no reason we couldn’t draw 4 big teams from the first two pots and still go through. 

Yeah we might have a better chance if we get the easiest draw possible, but that’s **** boring. 

I can’t believe we’re finally in the biggest competition in the world and people want the easiest draw possible. It’s dull

19 hours ago, wedge said:

Whilst we will find out our eight opponents and whether we'll face them home or away on Thursday 29th August. We won't know the actual match dates/times until Saturday 31st it seems:

UEFA Club Competitions 2024/25 onwards: new league phase draw procedures explained

"Even though the teams will know all their opponents by the end of the draw, the fixture list with match dates and kick-off times will be elaborated afterwards and announced on Saturday 31 August, to ensure no calendar clashes with teams in UEFA Europa League and UEFA Conference League playing in the same cities."

Shouldn't be a problem for our home games, mate. :D

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You want a mix of both. No point being in Champions League and not testing ourselves against the best

We have a very low chance of winning it outright

I seem to remember hearing that back in 1982 too. ;)

I'm just hoping for the best possible draw. I've already asked UEFA for the best teams from Pot 1 and the worst from the other pots (to maximise our qualification hopes). Unfortunately: oooo i want;) 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

So you can only draw one team from each nation?  So not possible to get Real and Barca in the draw.

2 from each country

The software will guarantee total randomness within the framework of the draw conditions stipulated by the regulations (e.g. country protection and no more than two opponents from the same country), while guaranteeing that the draw can be completed for all teams without resulting at any point in a deadlock situation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

2 from each country

The software will guarantee total randomness within the framework of the draw conditions stipulated by the regulations (e.g. country protection and no more than two opponents from the same country), while guaranteeing that the draw can be completed for all teams without resulting at any point in a deadlock situation.

So no "warm balls" (insert a Kenneth W if you want) bearing man yoo's or Liverpool's number on it then, to be drawn out for their obligatory home draw as per the FA cup?

Sounds like the champions league draw could actually be almost random then ! 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, myko said:

Presumably we'll find out exact dates then as well? I.e. specifically whether we're playing Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Saturday 31st the fixture dates and times are relased.

40 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

So no "warm balls" (insert a Kenneth W if you want) bearing man yoo's or Liverpool's number on it then, to be drawn out for their obligatory home draw as per the FA cup?

Sounds like the champions league draw could actually be almost random then ! 😉

It could be random, or they could have already programmed in the fixtures they want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Because it’s our first time in the competition in 40 odd years. Hopefully it’s our first of many, but it might not be. 

The whole point of being in the elite club competition in the world is to play the best sides. 

I want the biggest teams possible. I want to look forward to playing Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Not Rb Leipzig and Club Brugge, even if that gives us a better chance to qualify 

We’re in it to win it!!!