The new "xyz is on this page" banner

Lichfield Dean

Question

The new info about which users are on which page is interesting, but the banner at the top (unsurprisingly) takes a second or two to load. This has the effect of knocking the rest of the page down meaning I keep mis-clicking as the page jumps about.

This is one of my pet hates with web pages. Any chance of getting the UI improved a bit in that regard? Or maybe just getting rid of that banner at the top entirely?

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I don't mind it in theory, just really dislike jumping pages that move what you're trying to click on.

But no biggie if there's nothing that can be done. Thanks.

There's a major revision of the code due in the coming months. I suspect that will address this. I suspect that the only thing that could be done would be to make those elements so that they are always displayed, even if empty.

If we've any web developers that could advise, then please do.

(please upvote / mark solved)

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

There's a major revision of the code due in the coming months. I suspect that will address this. I suspect that the only thing that could be done would be to make those elements so that they are always displayed, even if empty.

If we've any web developers that could advise, then please do.

(please upvote / mark solved)

I'm a web developer as it happens! Yeah, the obvious simple solution is as you say to make it always visible whilst loading, but that is going to depend slightly on what mechanism is populating it (the element could be being injected by JavaScript or something rather than just being shown/hidden)

I'm tempted to say leave it for now rather than trying to fiddle with anything code-wise as that almost always leads to unintended consequences. But if some kind of option becomes available to switch it off (maybe per user or whatever) it might be useful.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, limpid said:

I'm investigating, but it appears to be all or nothing. The same code also generates the "Hot" tags on threads.

I'm aware of three people that don't like it.

I don't mind it in theory, just really dislike jumping pages that move what you're trying to click on.

But no biggie if there's nothing that can be done. Thanks.

I'm guessing that this element is loaded by javascript since the code has to fetch users currently viewing the page on the fly, but maybe the section responsible for displaying this could be contained within another HTML element that is always set to visible and a fixed size to avoid this? Just adding my two cents to the discussion, but like @Lichfield Dean I too really do not like slow loading HTML elements populating web pages and affecting the scroll.

Not really a fan of displaying who is on the page or who is typing either honestly. Feels more like something you'd have on chat applications than an internet forum. I'm sure some people would like to lurk in peace.

Maybe have a vote about this feature?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â