• Ramsey (McGinn 62)
    • Durán (Watkins 62)
    • Maatsen (Digne 74)
    • Philogene (Bailey 74)
    • Nedeljković (Cash 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/24 at 22:59

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I was quoting a poster suggesting we could win the league this season

I was endorsing your observations about crosses.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

How should people vote when the refereeing (the poll doesn't say referee) is dreadful every match?

i genuinely cannot remember the last time i voted anything other than poor or very poor...and it's my 100% honest opinion

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I never read it that way.....I interpreted it as he meant it....but I see how some didn't. Its like ambiguous images, who's right?

We read it the same way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Btw, what were the odds on Paqueta getting a yellow card? Asking for a brazilian friend. 

Why, does he want one?😃

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Or was they commenting on a current game,in pre-season and not a future game like yesterday.

You can only say what you see.

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of that game and waxed lyrical about it.....does that mean if we get beat 0-5 next week, we was wrong in our comments on the West Ham Game.

We need to stay in context of what folk are relating to.

No they were clearly commenting on the state of the squad and many people were worried we’d get blown out by west ham based on the preseason results. And you’re right, context is important. Emery said at least once that he was experimenting and messing around with the squad, trying new things out. Then you include missing players, new players, players returning from injury... With that context people should’ve been more understanding of odd results instead of the bed wetting that occurred.

5 hours ago, limpid said:

How should people vote when the refereeing (the poll doesn't say referee) is dreadful every match?

It isn’t though.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I can't believe all the outrage over the penalty.  I thought it was clear as day.   The fact that he got the smallest of touches on the ball is irrelevant.  The ball was not cleared.   It was very much in play and Soucek had a clear oppportunity to get to it but Cash scissored him down.  Remember around 15 years ago when Gabby won a pen against SHA and their defender had gotten a touch on the ball before bringing him down?  The very clear explanation from the officials was that getting the ball first doesn't mean it's not a penalty.  Gabby had a clear chance at the ball and an opportunity to shoot and the Blues player brought him down.   What happened half a second earlier had no bearing on that.   The same was true today with Cash.   Blues fans were outraged back then and people on here had no hesitation in countering that it the touch of the ball was immaterial.  You can't have it both ways.

I think much of the "outrage" you speak of is exacerbated by the absolutely ridiculous explanation that was sent out by PGMOL, something to the effect off Cash "played the ball but didn't intend to play the ball."  So the VAR official is a flippin' mind reader now....?  If the statement is true (which it is literally impossible to know) then the ref would have carded Cash. About 95% of tackles result in physical contact/collisions....

Sousek was clearly intending to lean into the challenge and create contact, knowing that he had no chance of scoring due to the defensive cover and World's Best Goalkeeper.  That's my explanation as a mind-reader myself.... 😆

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smg said:

It isn’t though.

Perhaps you could debate them about why they feel it is. Personally the lack of consistency and accountability is telling. They appear to know they are doing a poor job and rather than dealing with it, pretend to change their interpretation of the rules making the problem worse.

And for this game, even the beeb described the penalty as "adjudged to have fouled" and the new "no more long injury time" was 8 minutes.

• Like 2

Penalty aside I'm more pissed that paqueta already on a yellow took out two of our players late in the space of 2 minutes and neither were even given as fouls 

I thought the ref was poor rather than very poor, he won't be the worst we get this season that's for sure, neither will the clown we get next week or the week after.... we'll do well to get 5 good refs all year, they really are that bad 

What does it matter the opinions of penalty or not? It was given, nothing more really to be said. If Cash has one consistent fault to his game, it's his unnecessary impulsiveness. Aside from that, he had a decent game, but I get the feeling Emery is looking for improvement in that area of the defence. 

10 hours ago, smg said:

The weekly referee vote is a joke anyway. 95% of voters on here give referees very poor every week regardless of how they perform . Any decision against us = very poor

Yep.  I personally thought the ref was OK - he kept play moving pretty well.  He was pretty fair to both teams on most free kicks, etc.  I don't think we should have had a penalty with the SJM incident.  If the Cash thing had happened at the other end then I would have been screaming for a penalty.  For me Cash's angle is all wrong and whether he touched the ball or not is largely irrelevant - even if he did touch it the ball stayed within the reach of the opponent who was then prevented from playing the ball by Cash taking him down.  If Cash's touch had been solid enough to play the ball out of reach, into touch or into the area of someone else then he might have had a much better case.  But it wasn't. 

Like I say I would have been really disappointed if it hadn't been awarded at the other end.  It reminded me quite a bit of a match a few years back when we were playing Brighton (I think) and if memory serves we were 2-1 down with about 2 minutes left to play when AEG (might be wrong on the player but I think he was on the pitch because I remember thinking that awarding a penalty was basically the same as giving us a goal) was running with the ball towards the box and he basically stopped the ball and changed direction 180 degrees cutting back behind the defender who was over-committed going the other way.  The defender didn't manage to apply the brakes and took AEG down but in slow motion the ball was shown to have brushed the defenders leg.  The defender was sliding in an uncontrolled way in the wrong direction - AEG was in control of the ball and would 100% of "won" the ball without having to make any alterations to his run and was about to be in masses of space - but the penalty wasn't given because the defender "touched" the ball.  It was an awful decision because the touch was accidental, it didn't change the path of the ball and AEG remained in complete control of it before he was taken out.  I am sure that I wasn't the only Villa fan who took that decision very badly and felt that we'd been robbed.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Penalty aside I'm more pissed that paqueta already on a yellow took out two of our players late in the space of 2 minutes and neither were even given as fouls 

I thought the ref was poor rather than very poor, he won't be the worst we get this season that's for sure, neither will the clown we get next week or the week after.... we'll do well to get 5 good refs all year, they really are that bad 

Didn't he play advantage on the second one?  And I believe (but might be mistaken) that he waved a finger in the direction of Paqueta to indicate "last one".  One of those where if he hadn't been booked already he would probably have been carded when that move ended and yet because he had it was treated as a final warning.  Which I think is fair enough.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â