• Ramsey (McGinn 62)
    • Durán (Watkins 62)
    • Maatsen (Digne 74)
    • Philogene (Bailey 74)
    • Nedeljković (Cash 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/08/24 at 22:59

how so many voted the ref anything other than very poor is beyond me. shocking pen decision and it lifted them when they'd not been in the game until that point

in spite of that, brilliant display. fully deserved win and our squad depth has gotten us over the line today...incredible to think that there was no room for £30m of new signings in this team.

onana was class and i like the look of maatsen

oh it was nice to have konsa back in CB where he belongs too

Well done boys, great win

I'm glad VAR aren't interfering with decisions anymore, while interfering and then getting their decision wrong.  JESUS ****** CHRIST. Anything other than a villa win would have been an absolute travesty.  Onana fantastic and Jhon getting the winner - love it😘

Goldbridge on the penalty: disgrace, abysmal that they've given it. Obviously every Villa pod the same. Is there any review of referee decisions this season? Why do officials in other sports get hauled over the coals for terrible decisions but not football?

Edited by Kiwivillan

Its a great win. The one where you know the outsiders are thinking Villa aren’t going away. 

We have what we always craved now. Stability. A world class manager who has committed to the long term project and is achieving marvellous results consistently along the way (we have owned the capital if you think about it under him)

Onana - MOTM. Pau & Tielemans excellent. Rogers promising again. Excited by Maatsen and his potential. Not getting into VAR because ultimately it hasn’t cost us. 

Cannot beat an opening day away win christening a new strip. Its what memories are made of. UTV

• Like 2

What I do not appreciate is this continued onus on refereeing. It has never been perfect, and as long as humans are involced, it never will. It overshadows even this thread. Just let it go. The world is not a just place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lets skip the Unai is a genius blah blah blah we already know that

We finished the game with 7 players under 23. The future is not bright its absolute terrifying

spacer.png

A very good performance to start the campaign with.

Onana a clear man of the match. An excellent performance in all areas of the pitch. We may have bought a real diamond here. The understanding he already had with Tielemans is a real bonus for us. A nice performance from Youri,  who was always available to receive the ball and tidy up things.

A solid display by the back 5. We have been bullied by West Ham sides before now be we physically matched them. Cash still has the edge on the young lad but this squad allows us to spread the workload and give the youngsters vital match experience.

Speaking of subs. Well done Duran, stick around and you have a great future in front of you. Yesterday you saw the difference of things on offer. One a group of players playing in the bright lights, the other a team oozing class. Ollie obviously not at full throttle but you will get more game time this season. A great finish to a lovely piece of build up play by Pau, Maatsen and JJ.

Ian Maatsen produced a nice cameo performance in his time on the pitch. JJ looked like he had never been away, effortlessly gliding forward with the ball.

The result takes some pressure off next weeks match. A great start with plenty to build on as we shake off some of the rustiness we displayed in pre-season.

Onwards!

Tremendous win. We owed that lot one! Onana didn't take long to make an impact did he? Loved his post match celebrations with our fans and of course Duran just had to score the winner didn't he? :D

All that's left for me are memories that barely see me through. — Harry  Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

how so many voted the ref anything other than very poor is beyond me. shocking pen decision and it lifted them when they'd not been in the game until that point

in spite of that, brilliant display. fully deserved win and our squad depth has gotten us over the line today...incredible to think that there was no room for £30m of new signings in this team.

onana was class and i like the look of maatsen

oh it was nice to have konsa back in CB where he belongs too

The weekly referee vote is a joke anyway. 95% of voters on here give referees very poor every week regardless of how they perform . Any decision against us = very poor

23 minutes ago, smg said:

The weekly referee vote is a joke anyway. 95% of voters on here give referees very poor every week regardless of how they perform . Any decision against us = very poor

How should people vote when the refereeing (the poll doesn't say referee) is dreadful every match?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

That Onana lad is gonna be one hell of a player for us.

A real talisman in the making.

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We deserved that, we were the better side throughout - they created very little and other than the chance right at the death we would have kept a clean sheet barring their freebie.

We need to improve our finishing and get Watkins up to speed, but we look sharp and the subs looked strong.

Onana celebrating like a madman - I'm pretty sure he didn't win many away games with Everton :)

I'm glad that we played them first game, because, I think they will be ok, when they settle.

I didn't think they was as bad as some say, I just thought we was better.

The media was embarrassingly biased.....but no change there eh!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_Steve said:

A huge upgrade for us. There's so many options for us now to get us a winner like today. We are a much better squad.

An upgrade in the sense, that he brings, additional qualities, to the team, we was missing.

It's no slight on Dougie, who was great for us....we are just evolving, naturally and Unai picks up on the nuances of improvement.

The squad is much stronger, IMO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I felt 1-3 too earlier - just felt like we would score more, eventually

I just wanted a clean sheet....and with fair officiating we would have gone one.

just tickled by the woke reactions of why VAR didn't intervene. "there wasn't enough to turn it over"??????......it was either a penalty or it wasn't....where does this " wasn't enough derive from"....it's a scandal.

This "wasn't enough on it" is dreamed up by pundits to legitimise, Bias.

We seem to get heads you lose tails you lose, with decisions, it laughable the excuses they come up with to mask Bias.

We just have to be good enough to live with it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â