Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

I could’ve understood the awarding of the pen if the VAR hadn’t completely stitched himself up with his justification: ‘Cash doesn’t make a meaningful attempt to play the ball’. I mean, that’s the one thing that he obviously **** does. So instead of clearing things up, he managed to persuade me that it shouldn’t have been a penalty. 

• Like 2

You might as well tell your players not to bother trying to tackle in the penalty area anymore. 

Cash has clearly touched the ball. If he's not trying to play the ball, how has he managed to touch it? 

Kudus, boots McGinn, nowhere near touching the ball, yet it isn't a penalty.

The rules are broken and it's bred total incompetence among officials. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Looking at it again, Cash plays the ball and Soucek has his leg across him - Soucek interferes with Cash's clearance it should be a free kick to us.

Yep, having watched it again I've changed my mind completely. Shouldn't have been a pen.

Edited by Tom13

**** redknapp.

The ref gives it because he didn't see a touch of the ball which is fine because he's behind and there's bodies in front of him.

So the premise is he gives the pen cos he thinks cash hasnt touched the ball. As soon as VAR sees he has decision should be overturned.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

which Cash has juts played away from him

This just isn't true, the ball is barely a foot away from Soucek and he's the closest player to it, he's got that ball all day long if Cash doesn't take him to ground

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But it is stupid. Because he knows he's going to take out the player after he gets the ball...whether he gets a touch on it or not.

The player takes him out as he clears the ball. Cash is in the act of playing the ball and the contact happens. Cash is fouled.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s clear that 50% of people on here think it’s a pen and 50% don’t. Either way, it’s a stupid, stupid challenge. He’s only ever going to get a toe on it stretching like that and you give the referee a decision to make in somebody else’s stadium. 

Cash has done ok for the most part but it’s so often him with the error or the lapse of judgement. 

A couple of other points.

- I think we’ve been brilliant.
- It’s the London Stadium so forget any hope of winning. 

Only thing I would say, if that's a pen, then so should the one be on Ginny early on. So the ref/var have got one of the decisions wrong

Just now, Tom13 said:

Yep, having watched it again I've changed my mine completely. Shouldn't have been a pen.

That's exactly how I interpreted it the first time I saw it, don't see how you can see it as a pen

Cash has actually been good aside from the penalty which wasn't even a penalty.

Aside from this we have ourselves to blame for not taking chances.

Combo of Ollie understandably not at his best and a lack of support at times as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vincenzo said:

Looks like he got a touch on the ball so never a penalty…or have the rules changed ??

Nah rules still the same just being ignored and ref interprets them how he feels. Apparently stretching and getting the ball isn't an attempt to play the ball now!!!

There needs to be more accountability for these inept decisions as they cost clubs wins all the time. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Ljungberg also saying our goal should have been disallowed due to Bailey grabbing a Spam defender...

Might as well just stop football altogether at this point then 

They gave the pen because there wasn't a clear touch of the ball from Cash. Just saw the replay. VAR obviously missed him kicking the ball away, which is why it was given.

First f*** up of the season already. 🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sometimes I wish our manager was a little less classy.

Spot on, you know U ai will down play it. I would’ve been red carded from the dug out by now.

• Like 1