Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Played well. Reassuringly familiar. Passing/through balls and touches a little rusty, but patterns of play great.

Pau showed why he is valued, Onana also showing why he was sought, however he looks a little nervous on his debut, can’t seem to get his passing correctly weighted.

WHU don’t deserve to be level but that football. Currently I’m in the Ferguson mindset, happy with our performance despite the score line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

We take our chances and the penalty doesn’t matter (for what it’s worth, it’s soft - but glad var didn’t get involved, ref made the call).  Reset at half time, keep up our play and will be fine, Ollie looks off it - but no pre season, so it’s gonna take a few games,

VAR did check it, games gone of thats a penalty.  

West Ham wind me up

Was the same 2 seasons ago we go one nil up and then a soft penalty when Paqueta goes down from a Bailey nick. Then last season trying to handball wrestle the ball in the net screaming penalty ever 5 mins 

Just now, sidcow said:

Duran to come on, score the winner and run the length of the pitch making The Irons sign 

Or, knowing Duran, come on, score the winner and then run the length of the pitch doing the Mo-Bot 

We've been excellent. Never a penalty in a million years, appalling decision by the ref which should 100% be over ruled by VAR. It is criminal. 

No surprise that decision rocked us and lifted West Ham but if we play as we did in the first half in the second we'll piss this by a couple of goals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Christ you’re all so negative. We’ve played really well against a good team away from home. Really encouraging first game signs. Yet it’s all doom and gloom

I think we all know how well we played but once again, an inept decision by a referee has screwed us. 

Get the composure back and do what we did for the 1st half hour and we come away with at least a point. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Duran to come on, score the winner and run the length of the pitch making The Irons sign 

If he does this i'd give him a new 5 year deal and 300k p/w.

I think that was a decent half. Ginny and Leon should have both scored and it was a ridiculous penalty decision but overall a good first half. 

Hopefully we keep playing the way we did for the first 40 minutes and we will go on to win this

Edited by bcarpet
Random floating K removed
  • Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Sorry mate, but you are talking out of your arse

Nah mate don’t think so.

Anyway doesn’t matter, it was given and that’s too bad. Still think we’ve been excellent and extremely unlucky to be behind. 
Ollie looks rusty but Rogers is on it - we will win this.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

It wasn't a brain fade, he just got himself into the wrong position and gave away a soft pen.  He isn't really elite level. but is a nice fella.

I'm too lazy to check, but suspect most of the penalties we give away are from Cash. He's a hard worker, but doesn't have a great football brain and has a few howlers in him.

• Like 1

I actually wish we just forfeit Man. United, Newcastle and West Ham away games.

Every year they're the three most infuriating fixtures of the season.

We've been brilliant and yet still not winning due to a phantom penalty. 

At least rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated as that first 40 minutes was as good as anything we produced last season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I think it’s a penalty because although he very slightly touched the ball, he then tangled with Soucek preventing him from touching the ball.. the ball was still alive and in play despite Cash’s minor touch.

Fair enough... but that's not what the VAR have. I think that post touch tangle of legs is as much on west ham player as it is Cash.

All that being said, Bailey fouled their defender for our goal 

• Like 1

Played well and looked much better than we have in preseason, Pau looks lively! Onana a game changer for us and McPhee’s new best mate 😆

We were dominant until that stupid decision, not allowed to defend…

Both Freddy Ljungberg and Jonas Olsson in the Swedish studio saying they think it's 100& a blatant and obvious penalty...