Black Myth: Wukong

JoshVilla

Couldn't see a thread on this one. Everything I've seen about it looks really good.

Seems like one of the few games released in the past few years that actually looks like a next gen title. Visuals look amazing.

As I had money on my Game account I purchased a £50 ps store credit and pre-ordered this. Can't wait to give it a go next week.

The reviews are starting to trickle in and it seems like a mixed bag. It's currently sat at an 82/100 on Metacritic which is good, but there is one important caveat in that only the PC version has been granted access to review codes, so that's potentially concerning for the PlayStation 5 version. I don't know why a developer would hold back review code for just one version unless that version has specific issues, but keep that in mind as it's not normal for one platform to get exclusive access to review code while the other is completely left in the dark. It could be absolutely nothing and it's just Game Science being weird, but it's certainly suspicious. 

As far as the game itself is concerned? If I took a shot of vodka for every review that called it a "boss rush" game, I'd be passed out on the floor right now. It seems like this game is all in on the bosses and that's about it. Now, there does seem to be some exploration, but not a whole lot with some reviews mentioning invisible walls everywhere. Reviews are also mixed with regards to the games difficulty. The IGN review said it was "harder than Elden Ring's DLC, but more forgiving" which makes no sense, while other reviews have called it so easy that it's boring. So, player skill level may play a massive role in how easy or hard this game is. Overall, it seems like it's going to polarise the player base quite a bit. I think those that get drawn in by its visuals will likely ignore its shortcomings, while those that are playing it expecting great gameplay or expansive exploration will probably have some issues with it. 

Posted (edited)

Definitely won't be picking this up release. First the God of War (which I never clicked with) comparisons and now some of the early reviews feedback is just making me think it'll be one to pick up on sale.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

My copy is now preinstalled, I could get up at 3am to play it but that's a bit much! Might be able to put an hour or so in tomorrow night.

On 16/08/2024 at 17:44, Designer1 said:

Definitely won't be picking this up release. First the God of War (which I never clicked with) comparisons and now some of the early reviews feedback is just making me think it'll be one to pick up on sale.

Watched a couple more gameplay videos and decided to take a punt after all.

#fickle 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Watched a couple more gameplay videos and decided to take a punt after all.

#fickle 😄

PC or PS5? I'm hoping to get an hour on it later tonight. I'm excited for this one.  What made you change your mind?

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

PC or PS5? I'm hoping to get an hour on it later tonight. I'm excited for this one.  What made you change your mind?

PS5 (I don't own a PC).

I watched the first episode of FightinCowboys playthrough on YT and thought it looked more like something I'd enjoy. Put about an hour in so far and its very decent so far.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

PS5 (I don't own a PC).

I watched the first episode of FightinCowboys playthrough on YT and thought it looked more like something I'd enjoy. Put about an hour in so far and its very decent so far.

Good to hear. I like watching FightinCowboys vids too but I've tried to avoid watching many videos so I can go in spoiler free.

Played a couple of hours.

It's decent. The world feels a bit...empty but the combat is satisfying and really easy which should be good news for the non-Souls fans (**spit** 😀).

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

God of War comparisons?

oYKkKK.gif

I'm finding it waaaay more enjoyable than that, although as I've said before that game didn't click with me even after multiple tries.

• Like 1

I dunno why but I really struggled with the first main boss and the one with the blue head.  Is it finally time to admit my gaming hobby is coming to an end??

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

I dunno why but I really struggled with the first main boss and the one with the blue head.  Is it finally time to admit my gaming hobby is coming to an end??

The Wondering White Spirit (giant baby with the blue head lol) can actually just be left until later (just run past him into the cave) as I don't think he's meant to be taken on straight away. I went back after I levelled up a bit and got more offensive powers and beat the shit out of him.

Posted (edited)

I don't think the Soulslike or God of War comparisons have done this game any favours to be honest.

It's neither really, there are just some similar elements.

What it is is a good looking, solidly made action rpg that's a lot of fun.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

The Digital Foundry tech review for this on the PS5 is fun. It's like it ticks all the boxes that makes them twitch but they can't quite bring themselves to say it's outright bad, but you know they want to.

I've smashed through it a bit this afternoon. Still in chapter one, just got to the boss who 

Spoiler

Transforms into a snake.  He's a bastard!

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I've smashed through it a bit this afternoon. Still in chapter one, just got to the boss who 

Hide contents

Transforms into a snake.  He's a bastard!

First phase open with a forward dodge when he jump attacks then immediately use the 'Blue Baby' ability as he lands. Then use the immobilise and then Red Tides straight away. He should only have half health by then and use timed dodges to get him down to second phase.

Second phase, timed dodges (quick succession for most of his attacks) then bait his lunge attack and get in a heavy attack. Once Immobilise and Red Tides are back up use them immediately.

Try tweaking your points around if you're having issues with a particular boss. The game is very flexible when it comes to messing with your build.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â