Stories of the smooth-brained

Rob182

New guy at work, mid forties, was talking to someone on our online chat. They had asked about ordering some products and how to find them. I told him to copy and paste the links into the chat. A few minutes went by and he was just staring at his computer, completely lost. I asked if he was OK, he hadn’t got a clue how to copy a link and paste it 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, jim said:

New guy at work, mid forties, was talking to someone on our online chat. They had asked about ordering some products and how to find them. I told him to copy and paste the links into the chat. A few minutes went by and he was just staring at his computer, completely lost. I asked if he was OK, he hadn’t got a clue how to copy a link and paste it 🤦‍♂️

I did a fair bit of IT training in my Uni job, mainly to do with using specific packages, but also some basic PC usage. Some of the fastest learners were the Asian cleaning ladies (many of whom wouldn't have wanted their husbands to know that they were getting access to so much information on the internet). The slowest? Often the middle aged white male academics on the humanities side. One guy (who probably had a PhD) I had to treat like a five year old. Mouse? Window? Folder? File? Open? Close? Copy? Paste? Not. A. Clue. This was in about 2010. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I did a fair bit of IT training in my Uni job, mainly to do with using specific packages, but also some basic PC usage. Some of the fastest learners were the Asian cleaning ladies (many of whom wouldn't have wanted their husbands to know that they were getting access to so much information on the internet). The slowest? Often the middle aged white male academics on the humanities side. One guy (who probably had a PhD) I had to treat like a five year old. Mouse? Window? Folder? File? Open? Close? Copy? Paste? Not. A. Clue. This was in about 2010. 

My old astrophysics tutor (who was by far the cleverest person I ever met and was involved in the first British rocket programme amongst other huge achievements) could only type using one finger and I'm pretty sure didn't really know what to do with a mouse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshVilla said:

A girl I shared a house with at Uni asked us how to set the oven to "chicken".

It's one more than 'slightly apprehensive' and one less than 'abjectly terrified'. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's one more than 'slightly apprehensive' and one less than 'abjectly terrified'. 

I also walked into the kitchen one day to find her frying some frozen chicken nuggets. No oil in the pan either. 

My sister tried to cook dried pasta in a saucepan with no water, she just thought it softened as it heated up, she must have been 16=17 at the time

When I worked at JLR I once sent out a couple of Excel files to a guy who had requested them, he wanted to check the data on each file matched. We're talking hundreds of lines of data but a 5 minute job using a vlookup

Passed his desk later in the day and saw him working. He'd printed out each list in it's entirety and was going through it line by line, finding the corresponding data on the second printout and making sure it matched.

I reckon it would have taken him days

• Haha 4

Once there was a poster on this forum called @lapal_fan and he was really silly LOL he'd like call people big and fat and stupid losers but then sometimes he'd do a serious post and I'd spend ages trying to find the joke

The funniest thing was, as we all know, lapel's are properly rubbish, who would want to be a fan of them?

Welcome to the Lapel thread. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'll always be grateful

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When I worked at JLR I once sent out a couple of Excel files to a guy who had requested them, he wanted to check the data on each file matched. We're talking hundreds of lines of data but a 5 minute job using a vlookup

Passed his desk later in the day and saw him working. He'd printed out each list in it's entirety and was going through it line by line, finding the corresponding data on the second printout and making sure it matched.

I reckon it would have taken him days

Probably 10 seconds using “highlight duplicates”.

Crazy how some people workz

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

My sister tried to cook dried pasta in a saucepan with no water, she just thought it softened as it heated up, she must have been 16=17 at the time

I saw a friend from school poor himself an entire glass of neat orange squash and proceed to drink about a third of it, pulling a face with every sip and muttering “this is strong” to himself.

When we eventually asked him “you know you’re meant to add water to that, right?” he looked genuinely amazed.

The guy was 15-16 at this point. Got into Oxford a year or two later.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â