Things that were acceptable only recently but now aren't

sidcow

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I had The Cane at school. The teacher wasn't arrested. 

The Senior Master gave the cane in school

I never had the cane but…

I broke the Senior Masters leg in Staff vs First Team Rugby match watched by the whole school

I was carried off the pitch :D (in a good way)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

slightly before my time this...remember the days where you could smoke on trains though

now who on here is old enough to have had a ciggy on a plane?

BHX to Schiphol  1980

Bloody hell, the overlap here with the 'Getting Older' thread. 

Most of the above posts are stuff I took for granted for decades. 

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep, we've had one in Liverpool for years. Smoking only allowed in the one room thought and it has insane extraction apparently. Never been in though

A friend of mine was a member of a private cigar club in New York before Covid put it out of business.  It was a bar and restaurant and had a big humidor room where members kept their cigars.   The ventilation was amazing.   I don't smoke but had no issues eating dinner there and hanging out in the bar with friends who were smoking cigars.

This place also happened to have the urinal with the best view I've ever seen.   It was on the 55th floor or so of a building at the corner of 55th St. and 5th Ave, and the urinal was next to a floor to ceiling window facing down 5th Ave.   If people on the street below had binoculars they could see your Johnson while you were pissing.  (Of course they wouldn't need them to see mine!).

• Like 1

The smoking one is huge. Even though I was young, I remember most places in public having that unmistakable odour that just doesn't really exist anymore. It was just a part of life and now it's just...not. Thank ****

• Like 1

There were some small drawbacks to the smoking ban. Dingy rock clubs went from a permanent smell of fags to a permanent smell of sweat.  Metros aka Sweatros in Cardiff for a bit. They soon cottoned on and incense a plenty was suddenly wafting its way around.

It is mad though remembering how ubiquitous smoking was at Uni and then bam, gone. It was so normal. 

• Like 2

Yeah smoking was massive. 

And I think someone else has mentioned seat belts.

I well remember the fuss about back seat belts becoming compulsory but I wasn't so aware of what the response was on ONLY 1983 when  FRONT seatbelts hecams law, I was 13 but not driving and not really studying the news. It must has been mental. 

It was however only about a year before that when my mates mum was in a car accident and went clean through the front windscreen. She survived and I remember her saying that if it was only a year later she'd have been protected. 

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah smoking was massive. 

And I think someone else has mentioned seat belts.

I well remember the fuss about back seat belts becoming compulsory but I wasn't so aware of what the response was on ONLY 1983 when  FRONT seatbelts hecams law, I was 13 but not driving and not really studying the news. It must has been mental. 

It was however only about a year before that when my mates mum was in a car accident and went clean through the front windscreen. She survived and I remember her saying that if it was only a year later she'd have been protected. 

I do think that most sensible people had been wearing seatbelts for many years prior to it becoming compulsory. I don’t remember my dad ever not putting his on when driving. But do you remember Jimmy Saville fronting the Clunk Click Every Trip campaign… which brings me on to public information films…

This one turned into a rave banger…

And then there was the likes of

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I do think that most sensible people had been wearing seatbelts for many years prior to it becoming compulsory. I don’t remember my dad ever not putting his on when driving. But do you remember Jimmy Saville fronting the Clunk Click Every Trip campaign… which brings me on to public information films…

This one turned into a rave banger…

And then there was the likes of

Oh yeah, she'd chosen not to wear the seat belt that was fitted as she didn't HAVE to. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh yeah, she'd chosen not to wear the seat belt that was fitted as she didn't HAVE to. 

When I was in Beirut for a conference in 1998, the guy organising it picked me up at the hotel in his his Range Rover. I got in the front seat and buckled my seatbelt. He immediately said "Oh, you don't need to do that, it's not a legal requirement here". 

Given that Beirut traffic is basically a 24/7 demolition derby, I said "That's OK, but I prefer to wear it". 

"But you don't have to!"

"I know. But I'm going to, anyway" 

He then sulked for most of the trip, as he clearly considered it an insult and a slight on his driving ability. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FB_IMG_1723281499989.jpg

When I used to do my paper round one old lady on my route would make me drink a glass of sherry with her at Christmas  and also on my birthday 

i was 13 at the time this started , guess she also believed it would never render a paperboy unfit to ride his bike  

she was a nice old lady  , never moaned when we used her garden to play 40/40 , or kicked footballs in her garden during a game of 3 and in at the end of the road , shame she didn’t have a grand daughter she could have introduced me to 😀

I quite like a dry sherry. Interestingly, I find it gives a faster 'hit' than almost any other alcoholic drink. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I quite like a dry sherry. Interestingly, I find it gives a faster 'hit' than almost any other alcoholic drink. 

I always find Sherry makes me drive better. Takes away some inhibitions so I can drive through the smallest of gaps. 

Incidentally Williams and Humbert are still going strong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not a big thing here. I always associate it with those dandy boys Frasier and Niles Crane 🤣

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â