Things that were acceptable only recently but now aren't

sidcow

One thing that passed me by about the smoking ban was some of the exemptions.

I know someone looking in to starting up a cigar lounge, there are a few of them around, fully legal exemptions to the indoor smoking ban, I had no idea.

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

slightly before my time this...remember the days where you could smoke on trains though

now who on here is old enough to have had a ciggy on a plane?

I remember flying with Laker Airways to Benidorm in the 70’s and people smoking on the plane but  I was too young to smoke.

think the ban came in 1988 , guess I could have legally smoked on a plane in my lifetime had I been a smoker 

Just now, Davkaus said:

One thing that passed me by about the smoking ban was some of the exemptions.

I know someone looking in to starting up a cigar lounge, there are a few of them around, fully legal exemptions to the indoor smoking ban, I had no idea.

Yep, we've had one in Liverpool for years. Smoking only allowed in the one room thought and it has insane extraction apparently. Never been in though

Just now, bickster said:

it has insane extraction apparently. 

Does this exist? Could have been helpful around the UK in the last week or so. 

Maybe they could lend it to Musk? 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Smoking in general isn’t far from being in this thread

agree...went to a gig in berlin in june and was really noticable how many people were smoking. not just smoking though, properly blowing smoke all over us. i find now at least in the UK the smokers tend to be more considerate to non smokers around them.

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

slightly before my time this...remember the days where you could smoke on trains though

Used to fly regularly between manchester & madrid (every week or two) at one point & always used to grab the smoking seats, Always kinda felt sorry for the people one row in front as there was no divide at all (back 3 rows you could smoke, next row in front you couldn't) & everyone in the seemed to smoke pretty much for the whole flight, Wasn't ususual for people to offer you money/drink etc to swap seats with them for a bit mid-flight so they could have a smoke. Was once trying on some shoes in el corte ingles (kinda like spanish marks & sparks) in Madrid & they guy bringing me the shoes gave me a cig to smoke while i was trying them on

Edited by LakotaDakota

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I remember flying with Laker Airways to Benidorm in the 70’s and people smoking on the plane but  I was too young to smoke.

think the ban came in 1988 , guess I could have legally smoked on a plane in my lifetime had I been a smoker 

I was on a … what ever the Bulgarian National carrier was called just after the fall of communism when they freely reflected communists…

We hit turbulence and the aircrew just crashed the ash, to the whole flight. Bumpy ride… give out  free cigarettes. Only problem was they were Russian and no I’d rather smoke dried banana skins

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Homophobia

Listen, your lasagna was nice but stop coming to my panini sticker meet up and saying 'another lasagna for your Clive Mendonca shiney'

I can only wank into a milk bottle so much.

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Pretty sure my first transatlantic flight there was still smoking. That’d have been early 90s. From memory it was the last four rows of the plane. I was in the row in front of that and came off stinking of smoke. 

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Yes to all the above.  South West Trains to Waterloo, BA Heathrow to Moscow in 1994 at the back of the aircraft watching Mrs Doubtfire, always remember as we sped up for take off a Russian man stood up and wanted to go to the toilet.

Smoking indoors and hitting your kids are 2 that are only recently outlawed but seems insane that it was common and normal just a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Smoking indoors and hitting your kids are 2 that are only recently outlawed but seems insane that it was common and normal just a few years ago.

When was hitting your children made illegal?

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

When was hitting your children made illegal?

If it leaves any kind of mark I believe it is illegal. It certainly happens significantly less, certainly in public. I remember my mates getting a slap off their parents in public as kids.

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

Pretty sure my first transatlantic flight there was still smoking. That’d have been early 90s. From memory it was the last four rows of the plane. I was in the row in front of that and came off stinking of smoke. 

Yeah does seem the smoking ban on planes was much later than I thought , lots of trail bans and individual airlines but the total ban was late 90’s by the sounds of it 

I’m fairly sure I did a flight sometime around 2014 where people were smoking on board   , I’m going to say  it might have been Iran to Azerbaijan as I can’t think of any other airline that would have allowed it 

amusingly when I went to Uzbekistan with my son a couple of years ago , we went to a restaurant where if you wanted non smoking it was outside , smoking inside … still gives us both a little chuckle every now and then , if we  see people in the U.K. huddled outside a pub in the small smoking lean to area we say to each other  , they should move to Uzbekistan.. guess you had to be there 😳

1 minute ago, Genie said:

If it leaves any kind of mark I believe it is illegal. It certainly happens significantly less, certainly in public. I remember my mates getting a slap off their parents in public as kids.

That would be assault and not reasonable chastisement.

Hitting your kids is bad and it's rightly become socially unacceptable but it’s not illegal

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â