UK Immigration and Population

sidcow

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Haha this is funny. Liverpool lays claim to the oldest Black and Chinese communities in the country because it was the gateway to the Atlantic during he slaving years and for over century after.

This southern bubble of your own perception is just strange

I mean, sure, but Liverpool nearly 80% white British, way down the list of the most diverse (which will be a contentious definition on its own) cities in England, so maybe it's your Scouse bubble ;)

In a move that will surprise both me and him, I'm taking @Demitri_C's side on this one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, Bradford is famous for hardly any ethnic minorities. 

And are you classing Birmingham as South? 

According to Wikipedia (I know) Birmingham is 49% white and Manchester 57% white taken from 2021 census so not a huge amount in it. 

Why is this of concern though? A lot of people seem to be worried about this. 

People tend to want to live within their own homogeneous group. Happens across all groups. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

People tend to want to live within their own homogeneous group. Happens across all groups. 

The recent attacks on minorities in predominantly white areas will tell you one of the reasons why.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I mean, sure, but Liverpool nearly 80% white British, way down the list of the most diverse (which will be a contentious definition on its own) cities in England, so maybe it's your Scouse bubble ;)

In a move that will surprise both me and him, I'm taking @Demitri_C's side on this one

Popcorn-Gus-Psych.gif

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The recent attacks on minorities in predominantly white areas will tell you one of the reasons why.

Understandable of course. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Here we go!

Thats my evening sorted

dis-dis-gon-be-gud.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Then you sir have taken leave of your senses ;) it’s really not about the percentages is it. Liverpool itself is founded on immigration. You’ve obviously heard of the Irish, last time I checked they weren’t you know… British. But shit they are mainly white…they reckon 75% of the population has Irish ancestry, There’s a bit Welsh influence too (ok that is British) The point is that most of the ethnic groups just get along.
The British white thing really does mask a lot of other ethnicities that are second and third generation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Haha this is funny. Liverpool lays claim to the oldest Black and Chinese communities in the country because it was the gateway to the Atlantic during he slaving years and for over century after.

This southern bubble of your own perception is just strange

You know it can be a differing opinion to you without ut being 'strange'

Whats strange is your choice of using that word for a simple debate. Ive been liverpool about 6 times and it was less multicultural than london and Birmingham in my experience 

And i bet ive been outside my southern bubble on a more global scale than you have 😁

Edited by Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Jaw on floor

When we say multicultural, are we discussing recently arrived Muslims, or actually discussing multiple cultures, because I’m not sure there was ever a time this island had this mythical mono culture of English Britishness that so many appear to use as their base point.

My town has a Welsh castle, a Roman well, a French name, the largest employer is from the U.S., the largest group currently buying houses are English and the old Protestant bible school where Ian Paisley did his learning is now an Islamic centre. Many of the dockers were Irish. Some of the miners were Cornish.

The football programme was mangled this week because the guys were up at the Eisteddfod. 

I’m not sure if that makes this town any more or any less multi cultural than anywhere else.

Or do we mean brown people?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i get that - i think the point i was trying to make (not very well i might add) is the percentages of the above for smaller regions like london.

Of the 6% of the muslim community i do wonder how much is in the south in comparison to the north. If i was making a prediction i would say there is more in the south than the North. Up north there seems to be more white people than down south.

I could be completely wrong mind you

Bradford plucking a place out of the air. Actually look where Galloway has stood, that is a good indicator. The north really does have large Muslim population. Although muslim is not indicative of race. 

Edited by Seat68

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s strange because it’s so detached from reality. I can’t believe that there are people that don’t realise that oop norf has lots of brown people. It’s not like it’s some big secret.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It’s strange because it’s so detached from reality. I can’t believe that there are people that don’t realise that oop norf has lots of brown people. It’s not like it’s some big secret.

I didnt see that though - i said in my experience ive seen predominantly more white people than compared to london and Birmingham just on personal experience.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats strange is your choice of using that word for a simple debate. Ive been liverpool about 6 times and it was less multicultural than london and Birmingham in my experience 

And i bet ive been outside my southern bubble on a more global scale than you have 😁

How can you tell someone's culture or ancestry by looking at them?

8 hours ago, limpid said:

How can you tell someone's culture or ancestry by looking at them?

I never  mentioned the word ancestry

Edited by Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I never  mentioned the word ancestry

Okay, how can you tell someone's culture by looking at them?

(Although ancestry is a common component of culture.)

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt see that though - i said in my experience ive seen predominantly more white people than compared to london and Birmingham just on personal experience.

Have you been to Leicester or Luton?

London has a higher ethnically diverse population than the rest, but Birmingham is about 48% white, while a place like Leicester is 40% white.

OFNS

Ethnic group concesus 2021.

Interestingly enough, London has boroughs in both the top and bottom, depending on where you live.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

When we say multicultural, are we discussing recently arrived Muslims, or actually discussing multiple cultures, because I’m not sure there was ever a time this island had this mythical mono culture of English Britishness that so many appear to use as their base point.

My town has a Welsh castle, a Roman well, a French name, the largest employer is from the U.S., the largest group currently buying houses are English and the old Protestant bible school where Ian Paisley did his learning is now an Islamic centre. Many of the dockers were Irish. Some of the miners were Cornish.

The football programme was mangled this week because the guys were up at the Eisteddfod. 

I’m not sure if that makes this town any more or any less multi cultural than anywhere else.

Or do we mean brown people?

It all went downhill when the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons arrived.

Britannia for the Britons!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â