UK Immigration and Population

sidcow

Posted (edited)

And another one today. Seems China has issues. Good luck to them in getting immigrant workers to fill the gaps! 

https://news.sky.com/story/chinas-demographic-problem-sparks-fears-of-retirement-age-increase-13194057

China's demographic problem sparks fears of retirement age increase

China is facing a looming demographic disaster as its population continues to get older without enough young workers.

As the population of seniors grows in China, demand for home bathing services carried out by carers is booming.

Analysts predict there will be 500 million people over the age of 60 in China by 2050.

China is facing a looming demographic disaster. It has too many old people and not enough young workers.

It's a legacy of the country's one child policy, when most urban families were only allowed to have one child between 1980-2015. Since the policy was lifted, China's birth rate has remained low.

A birth rate of 2.1 is needed to sustain a population - China's is now approaching 1, according to government statistics.

While younger people cite high house prices, job insecurity and the economy as reasons for not starting a family.

The growing population of the elderly is putting pressure on the state pension scheme.

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences estimates it could run out of money by 2035.

Edited by sidcow

I wonder if one day we see a flip and a race to secure immigrants to keep western economies going? 

People’s attitudes might change if it means they don’t have to work longer, or have benefits / pensions cut.

Does anyone know if there is data on specific religions for regions/cities for white to muslims?

So for example when i go london and Birmingham i find those areas to be more multi cultural. But when i go up north to places like manchester or blackpool its mainly white people i see

Edited by Demitri_C

On 09/08/2024 at 19:59, sidcow said:

It's just struck me he's probably talking about allowing land based wind turbines. Solar parks and building on grey belt land. 

I hope he doesn't play golf because golf courses have taken over 20 times more land in the UK than the maximum amount of land net zero infrastructure will need to take up.  Plus land surrounding them is still actually able to be used for farming. 

Still it's better that we continue to poison the world and not build enough homes for the population. 

I know it's not like Sutton Park is in any way short of space, but god, why do we have to have TWO 18-hole golf courses ...

Not that anything else should be put there of course but yeah, there are far too many golf courses imo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder if one day we see a flip and a race to secure immigrants to keep western economies going? 

People’s attitudes might change if it means they don’t have to work longer, or have benefits / pensions cut.

I was just thinking the same with other countries encouraging people to go there to live and work . 

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

I know it's not like Sutton Park is in any way short of space, but god, why do we have to have TWO 18-hole golf courses ...

Not that anything else should be put there of course but yeah, there are far too many golf courses imo.

Ban golfing 👍

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone know if there is data on specific religions for regions/cities for white to muslims?

"White" isn't a religious characteristic.

"Muslim" isn't a phenotypical characteristic.

I don;t think what you are asking for can exist.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, limpid said:

"White" isn't a religious characteristic.

"Muslim" isn't a phenotypical characteristic.

I don;t think what you are asking for can exist.

So how do they pull the data for the stats for the whole of the population in the uk? Surely they can provide data for regions/cities as its on a smaller scale?

Edited by Demitri_C

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Genie said:

I had that thought about China. 

I can't see huge swathes of people wanting to go there (who aren't working at the top end) so they are likely to try and "outbid" other nations for migrants. 

However the real answer is to find a way to get off the constant population growth cycle. We need to reduce the human population, need fk find a way to do that. 

I know Japan are doing a lot of work on "health bots" to perform elderly care and monitor.   If a lot of elderly care can be automated that reduces a lot of need for people to do that kind of work. 

I'm also pretty certain that AI and robots will take a lot of people's jobs so the issue of "people" to do jobs may well reduce, but that doesn't solve the lack of tax collected.  Especially as big corporations can get very creative about how much tax they pay. 

Edited by sidcow

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So how do they pull the data for the stats for the whole of the population in the uk? Surely they can provide data for regions/cities as its on a smaller scale?

The point is that white and Muslim aren’t mutually exclusive. You can be white and Muslim because religion and ethnicity are two different statistical fields.

Not all white people are Christian, not all brown people are Muslim.

The data exists from the latest census but may not yet be published from 2021 (some of it wasn’t available to the pollsters in Sctland during the election for example). Not a conspiracy, they just haven’t finished publishing the data yet.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

The point is that white and Muslim aren’t mutually exclusive. You can be white and Muslim because religion and ethnicity are two different statistical fields.

Not all white people are Christian, not all brown people are Muslim.

The data exists from the latest census but may not yet be published from 2021 (some of it wasn’t available to the pollsters in Sctland during the election for example). Not a conspiracy, they just haven’t finished publishing the data yet.

Yeah i get that - i think the point i was trying to make (not very well i might add) is the percentages of the above for smaller regions like london.

Of the 6% of the muslim community i do wonder how much is in the south in comparison to the north. If i was making a prediction i would say there is more in the south than the North. Up north there seems to be more white people than down south.

I could be completely wrong mind you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

When you've just escaped a dangerous , war torn, criminal filled, backward country you don't want to move somewhere worse. 

If the dinghies landed at Blackpool, they'd be paddling back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i get that - i think the point i was trying to make (not very well i might add) is the percentages of the above for smaller regions like london.

Of the 6% of the muslim community i do wonder how much is in the south in comparison to the north. If i was making a prediction i would say there is more in the south than the North. Up north there seems to be more white people than down south.

Yes, census data is available for regions and even down to council ward level for all kinds of data

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

When you've just escaped a dangerous , war torn, criminal filled, backward country you don't want to move somewhere worse. 

Fan of blackpool i take it 😂

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the population of London is about the same as the combined total population for Scotland, N Ireland, and Wales so I’m not sure it could be described as small.

I think we do have issues around the ghettoisation of populations but this likely comes more from money than skin colour. New arrivals with no money will naturally end up in the poorest areas, traditionally the east end of London, now just as likely to be Leeds or Bradford.

It’s probably the obvious visual queues of skin colour that make people think that maybe Bradford has more immigration than some other area of nearby Leeds. Then you get a story on the news where the riot or disturbance in Leeds was around the Roma and east European community. Just as much an immigrant as a Bangladeshi, but a bit less brown.

It really will depend on where you go within an individual city too. If you have tourist money and visit Cardiff you will likely go down the bay. The 100 metres that hugs the coast is white tourist land. But a 5 minute walk will deliver you in to one of the UK’s largest and oldest Somali communities. What would once have been dockland has been gentrified with office worker apartments where once the West Indian community of Tiger Bay would have been dominant.

There are still black people around Bute Street, they rarely have the financial clout to be buying up the new waterfront apartments and then letting them out as air BnB. So they are two streets back, out of sight.

I can’t imagine this is the exception, I’d expect a similar pattern of geography pretty much everywhere. Money as the driver. Rather than religion.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Census 2021 population maps

Have a play around on there mate 👍

Edit: just seen that @Brumstopdogsbeat me to it 

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â