Headphones or ear buds?

Marka Ragnos

On 15/08/2024 at 15:28, bielesibub said:

I think these are fantastic. I found that I could sleep with them on in one of my hospital visits as  the noise cancelling was brilliant - I now mostly use them when sleeping!

14 hours ago, osmark86 said:

yup, seconded

They're the best headphones I've owned by a mile.  Pricey, but well worth it - especially given the amount of listening I do when commuting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

They're the best headphones I've owned by a mile.  Pricey, but well worth it - especially given the amount of listening I do when commuting.

Oh absolutely, I use them all the time and I love them. Using them right now in fact. Sony have been crushing it for a few years now.

Apple household annoyance: Different earphones/buds getting picked up as sound output randomly around the house during meetings. Not sure how to stop this.

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Apple household annoyance: Different earphones/buds getting picked up as sound output randomly around the house during meetings. Not sure how to stop this.

Apple just does not get such basic things wrong. It must be you. Be more magical.

More seriously, this is because they are the wrong tools for the job. Get your employer to provide the correct tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, limpid said:

Apple just does not get such basic things wrong. It must be you. Be more magical.

More seriously, this is because they are the wrong tools for the job. Get your employer to provide the correct tools.

Thanks. You're right, of course, as always. 😉😁 I haven't had anything terrible happen, but I have to wonder about privacy/confidentiality breaches caused by bad Apple sound-output "hand-offs." I don't deal with anything high stakes, but someone somewhere must be? The worst thing that's happened with me so far is that my mother-in-law was suddenly brought into my own private conversation. 😬

• 2 weeks later...

So ... after a few weeks of trying and returning and trying again, I have found what totally works for me:

I bought a pair of much-discounted Air Pod Maxes, and I love them.  I tried some other "cans" suggested and didn't like the sound or how they worked in the Apple universe. I also got some new-gen Air Pods, and I don't like them at all. I'm keeping them because my wife and son will lose theirs soon enough and they'll inherit these.

Can't say enough positive about the Maxes. I think @blandy mentioned these? They're just very comfortable and they sounds excellent, and they're very sophisticated and intuitive in their simple-seeming, user-friendly features.  Example: The volume knob is intelligent and fool-proof. The quality of the build seems rugged, too.

The spatial sound is astoundingly good, IMO.

Very happy with these.

• Like 1

I have always wanted a pair of decent ear-buds but having tried various brands of, let us say, budget models, I found I could never keep them in long enough to walk more than a few paces, which is not great for someone known to enjoy a bit of air-guitar now and again.

So I mainly stick to my Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

For classical music I use Sennheiser HD 600 which are just stunning.

I see all the rich kids with air-pods stuck in their ears but never had the courage to take the gamble.

What sort of use are they good for and do they stop in?

Some reviewers recommend cheaper alternatives but I never believe them.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have always wanted a pair of decent ear-buds but having tried various brands of, let us say, budget models, I found I could never keep them in long enough to walk more than a few paces, which is not great for someone known to enjoy a bit of air-guitar now and again.

So I mainly stick to my Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

For classical music I use Sennheiser HD 600 which are just stunning.

I see all the rich kids with air-pods stuck in their ears but never had the courage to take the gamble.

Why not buy some decent buds and make use of your 14 day trial under DSR?

I wouldn't recommend anything Apple though unless you've already locked yourself in to their ecosystem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

They stay in fine if just sitting, walking or other sedentary activities. I’ve found for cycling they fall out, so I only use them in the winter (with a headband which covers m’lugs). But tbh if you’ve got good wired ones, it’s maybe not worth getting wireless ones, unless you do a lot of listening and the wire annoys you.

I got my wireless AirPod pros because cycling, the wire is an annoyance. I like them, but the sound is not as good as my wired Audio Technica E70s, though they are more comfortable to wear and are pretty good all round.

34 minutes ago, blandy said:

They stay in fine if just sitting, walking or other sedentary activities. I’ve found for cycling they fall out, so I only use them in the winter (with a headband which covers m’lugs). But tbh if you’ve got good wired ones, it’s maybe not worth getting wireless ones, unless you do a lot of listening and the wire annoys you.

I got my wireless AirPod pros because cycling, the wire is an annoyance. I like them, but the sound is not as good as my wired Audio Technica E70s, though they are more comfortable to wear and are pretty good all round.

Thanks!

It seems that when it comes to headphones, manufacturers tend to "update" their range pretty often and so it is difficult to track down a well-reviewed model because the suffix has gained a new collection of letters and digits.

A search for plain Audio Technica E70s produced a single hit and a price of $300+.

I've just counted and I have twelve pairs of headphones and two pairs of "value" ear-buds - some definitely need throwing away. 🙄

On 05/09/2024 at 16:22, MakemineVanilla said:

A search for plain Audio Technica E70s produced a single hit and a price of $300+.

I think I paid £260 quid for them, maybe 8 or 9 years ago, so $300 isn’t bad in the scheme of things. The way I look at it, is if they’re gonna get used for 10 or 20 years, then the cost is a few pence a week. Bit of a luxury, all the same.

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think I paid £260 quid for them, maybe 8 or 9 years ago, so $300 isn’t bad in the scheme of things. The way I look at it, is if they’re gonna get used for 10 or 20 years, then the cost is a few pence a week. Bit of a luxury, all the same.

I think £30 is expensive if the quality is poor.

Aural orgasms don't come cheap!😆

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â