Headphones or ear buds?

Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

Well, you all have persuaded me that I need them all lol -- AirPods Pro and some Skull Candy Crushers. I think the Airpods for me are the most practical (based partly on what @blandy and others know say) but the Crushers ( @Demitri_C mentioned these and I'd never heard of before) are affordable enough that I can get my "big can" fix without investing too much. So I'm getting both instead of getting AirPods Maxes which seem to get mixed reviews). I gotta admit, I totally love the way the big over-the-ear headphones look, I don't know why, even if some people think they look naff.  And I won't get mistaken for Princess Leah, that's for sure.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

ear buds  , headphones make you look like a word removed or someone entering a Princess Leia look a like contest 

spacer.png

or both!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, you all have persuaded me that I need them all lol -- AirPods Pro and some Skull Candy Crushers. I think the Airpods for me are the most practical (based partly on what @blandy and others know say) but the Crushers ( @Demitri_C mentioned these and I'd never heard of before) are affordable enough that I can get my "big can" fix without investing too much. So I'm getting both instead of getting AirPods Maxes which seem to get mixed reviews). I gotta admit, I totally love the way the big over-the-ear headphones look, I don't know why, even if some people think they look naff.  And I won't get mistaken for Princess Leah, that's for sure.

Let me know how you get on with the skull crushers. I think they are fantastic 

• Thanks 1

I was bought some AirPods Pro for my birthday a couple of years back and was surprised at how good they were. 

Im sure they’re not actually that good and someone will tell me you can get something twice as good for half the price. But for a gift they’ve always done the job for me surprisingly well

At home I switch between two different pairs of headphones. The first pair of headphones is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. The second pair is the Audio Technica ATH-M70x.

When I'm out and about my go to is the NiceHCK Himalaya In-Ear Monitors. I also use them while gaming as I can't stand the clamping force of most headphones if I'm sat there for several hours playing a video game.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

At home I switch between two different pairs of headphones. The first pair of headphones is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. The second pair is the Audio Technica ATH-M70x.

When I'm out and about my go to is the NiceHCK Himalaya In-Ear Monitors. I also use them while gaming as I can't stand the clamping force of most headphones if I'm sat there for several hours playing a video game.   

That is some elite audio gear. I'm impressed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

So I'm getting both instead of getting AirPods Maxes which seem to get mixed reviews)

The Air pod maxes are tremendous headphones, as are the Sony and other high end equivalents (Bose etc.), It’s how much you’re gonna use them, though and how much spare money you have, if any. Without veering into the other headphone recommendation thread’s territory, I’ll just say that my various headphone history has been that the stock ones that come with a phone, or MP3 player or whatever do a job and are fine for calls and podcasts and stuff, but personally I’ve found the joy from getting the best my budget has allowed kind of endures when I use them. My problem is because of a life spent around jet engines, plus gigs and listening to music a lot, tinnitus means I have to use them less than I’d like, and if I do I get ringing ears for longer than I’d like at a level that intrudes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The Air pod maxes are tremendous headphones, as are the Sony and other high end equivalents (Bose etc.), It’s how much you’re gonna use them, though and how much spare money you have, if any

That's it. I'm in my 50s. I'm not going to be dancing around in a subway with my Air Pod Maxes. I also wanted something I could doze off with if I wanted, and any of the big "cans" aren't going to work for me with the way I sleep. I just got my new Air Pod Pros, and they're amazing. They're about as sexy these days as plain khaki trousers but they're super comfortable, intelligent, and have a decent microphone for phone calls. If you're deep in the Apple universe as we are in my house, it's easier, too. They hand-off and  re-connect pretty seamlessly, etc.

• Like 1

Jabra headphones, £ for £, are fantastic. Only complaint, the leather started flaking real bad on one pair of my Jabra 'over ear' sets of cans, but they were probably 7 years old at that point.

Samsung buds served me well for commuting and every day use, but terrible for activity and gym work. 

Sony WH-CH720N's (currently £75 on Amazon, I'm sure they were over £100 this time last year) are the best I've ever had for "lazy, indoors listening" - great sound, great noise cancelling, incredibly comfortable.

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I can't use ear buds. They just drop right out, sadly.

Not all disabilities are visible...

Same here for moulded plastic/metal.

Get the type that use the rubber nipples.

th-1213547724.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Any recommendations, or can they be fitted to anything?

Photoon14-08-2024at15_212.jpg.da33f51764eea84633d8059da000b3d7.jpg

The nipply types tend to be universal. Those are JVC and Sennheiser in the pic.

You normally get a selection of nipples with any buds you buy.

The slight issue is the nips can separate from the buds, if they're loose in a tight pocket?

I have lost a nip whilst pulling a tissue out of jeans' pockets. That said, I've kept the surplus nips from previous purchases, and just swap em around.

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2024 at 17:48, bobzy said:

These bad boys:

image.jpeg.92bef02385e62f95b142550ac7515183.jpeg

…and they’re awesome. 

I think these are fantastic. I found that I could sleep with them on in one of my hospital visits as  the noise cancelling was brilliant - I now mostly use them when sleeping!

On 08/08/2024 at 16:06, leemond2008 said:

I use these

41TybaZsmAL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Jabra Elite 8 Active Wireless In-Ear Bluetooth Earbuds with Adaptive Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation

Honestly the best ear buds I've had, I had a pair of the Elite 5 and they were great, these are even better though

I have the Elite 4 active, so no doubt not as good as yours but they are fantastic. 

On 08/08/2024 at 16:59, Tegis said:

Help........😬 And this is not even all of them, there are a few random AKGs, Marshalls, Denons, Apples, Koss that I bought on a whim.

So, from left to right.

Shokz Openrun - They dont go in/on your ear at all, they vibrate the jawbone. I use them as I develop rash and irritation from in-ears long term and with these I can use a helmet for commuting on a scooter. Not great sounding but does the job for podcasts and a quick phonecall.

cQnB1J7.jpeg

9f62aa907c7e7ed12f4d855ac6618d77497c877b

Purchased the open run last weekend and they are an absolute game changer for me when running. It’s fantastic to be able to listen to music whilst being aware of my surroundings. They are so comfortable aswell that i don’t even notice I’m wearing them. I’d recommend these to any runners/cyclist. 

• Like 1

I have these for travel (Bose NC 700 UC):

yXZ5iJwCZSYot6Apo3Awd-1920-80.jpg.webp

These for daily carry (Pixel Buds Pro):

217FxSUdXhL._AC_.jpg

These for when I need low latency:

box-front1-914x1024.jpg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â