Headphones or ear buds?

Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

That is the question. Or maybe you still go wired either for cost or trendy reasons? What's your approach these days?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm in AppleWorld, but I've been unwilling to splurge on wireless AirPods. So I bought some very cheap wireless earbuds on Amazon, and they are actually painful to wear. I "upgraded" to slightly more expensive Soundcore earbuds, and they're actually quite good and reasonably comfortable, but they're a bit wonky in terms of connection.

At home and office, I often use wired headphones, and mine are good (Shure SRH 440s for about £70), but they're wired. I have to admit, I've been impressed lately by the way some of the big wireless over-the-ear headphones look, esp. the pricey AirPods Max. But jeez -- so dear. 

Apple headphones and earbuds have come way down in price recently, so I'm tempted now., The missus and kid both love their Apple AirPods. Still, I also see that Beats wireless headphones are much cheaper now, down to £120 for the Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones with an Apple W1 chip, which makes it very Apple-friendly, I gather.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Headphones for hifi and TV late at night

wireless AirPods for exercise, general phone/iPod use, except cycling in summer, and air travel where I use wired earphones. I’ve had an AirPod fall out cycling before, so unless I’ve got my winter headband on, which keeps them in, that’s why I go wired.

ear buds  , headphones make you look like a word removed or someone entering a Princess Leia look a like contest 

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

ear buds  , headphones make you look like a word removed or someone entering a Princess Leia look a like contest 

I concur with tone loc. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blandy said:

Headphones for hifi and TV late at night

wireless AirPods for exercise, general phone/iPod use, except cycling in summer, and air travel where I use wired earphones. I’ve had an AirPod fall out cycling before, so unless I’ve got my winter headband on, which keeps them in, that’s why I go wired.

Interesting to read all this.  I feel nervous about wearing earphones cycling because I'm afraid I'm not going to hear something and end up dead.  I used to use a little bluetooth speaker on my bike, but it's not very private and probably annoys some people (I'm already annoying enough without adding to it 🤓), so I stopped using that. Then there's the earbuds falling out issue. Definitely scared of using noise-cancelling on a bicycle but maybe regular wired earbuds would feel OK.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

51 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Demitri, what sort do you wear?

Depends on waht your budget is marka. I like skull crushers but if you are looking on cheaper side these are fantastic for the price august EP650

Click

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

But look at these fascinating people. The bloke in the middle is super cool, right down the pearl earring. 

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

I use these

41TybaZsmAL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Jabra Elite 8 Active Wireless In-Ear Bluetooth Earbuds with Adaptive Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation

Honestly the best ear buds I've had, I had a pair of the Elite 5 and they were great, these are even better though

• Like 1

I bought an expensive pair of wired B&O headphones just as they started removing headphone jacks from phones (I know you can get a usb c adapter) 🤦🏻‍♂️.  I use airbuds now (mostly because they're easiest for taking work calls). For music listening I much prefer headphones though I'd say. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Interesting to read all this.  I feel nervous about wearing earphones cycling because I'm afraid I'm not going to hear something and end up dead....Definitely scared of using noise-cancelling on a bicycle but maybe regular wired earbuds would feel OK.

When I use the AirPods, I have them on transparent setting so outside noises like horns and bells and voices and traffic are still audible. With the wired ones, I don't push them right in, so they're not completely sealed and I can still hear external sounds. Also using cycle paths a nd quiet backroads is my main route, so it's pretty safe (I hope).

• Thanks 1

Help........😬 And this is not even all of them, there are a few random AKGs, Marshalls, Denons, Apples, Koss that I bought on a whim.

So, from left to right.

Shokz Openrun - They dont go in/on your ear at all, they vibrate the jawbone. I use them as I develop rash and irritation from in-ears long term and with these I can use a helmet for commuting on a scooter. Not great sounding but does the job for podcasts and a quick phonecall.

Oneplus Buds Pro - My prefered BT in-ear solution with noise-cancelling. Very good, roughly Airpods pro equivalent for us Androiders

Shure sonething, I actually dont remember, they are more than 20 years old - Best sounding earphones I've ever tried within my budget.

Bose QC45 - Would have been my daily usage but as above, cant fit a helmet over them. Very good midrange solution on par with similar priced Sonys. Bit too basy.

Grado Labs SR80 - Good lord they sound good. Like the Shures they are 20 plus years but replacing them requires more than £1000 and that aint happening.

Missing from the picture:
Jabra elite active 45e - My workout set. The only ones that can handle my copious amounts of sweat. Rated IP67. I've tried several others and ruined them all.

cQnB1J7.jpeg

9f62aa907c7e7ed12f4d855ac6618d77497c877b

• Thanks 1

Neither.

I can quite easily wait to play stuff in the house or the car, I have no urge to have something stuck in my ear holes.

AirPods because I found an unregistered pair in my car one Halloween night a few years back and no one ever claimed them

Not a massive fan to be perfectly honest but it’s also rare that I use them at all. It would need to be a fairly long solo public transport journey for me to use them.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â