Lutsharel Geertruida

nick76

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

I’d personally trust Kosta to do the job, I reckon he’s going to be great. 

The issue with that is it just leaves us with two CBs. There's no Lenglet this year (so far) to be warming the bench as experienced back up. Not sure on whether Bogarde is ready at this point. Hopefully Mings will be back at some point but again it's not like we'll be starting him as soon as he's available. He'll need the most patience of anyone we've had coming back from injury in recent times.

Geertruida therefore ticks plenty of boxes given he can cover at CB pretty comfortably by all accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You literally said it was never happening and won't be happening.

This adds to confirmation that there is interest and talks which have been ongoing up to now.

So while it still may not happen, there is obviously an effort and desire for it to happen, and the injury to Matty further increases that desire and likelihood?

It hasn't happened yet and won't happen 👍

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If it's a six week injury then Cash misses out 2 CL matches, league cup and possibly four rounds of prem games.

That's a long time to be going in with just one RB. Yes we can move Kons to RB but then we have just two senior CBs to play so what happens if Pau goes down later in a game and can't continue.

What happened last season. Dropped points due to injuries leaving us very thing in key areas so we don't want to be dropping needless points against some of the opposition we have coming up due to being light in the full back position.

Geertruida profile is very good considering his age so he's the sort we need to be targeting as upgrade on Cash regardless of injury situation.

It would be absolutely barmy to go forward without any signing of a RB. Emery said after the game that Konsa is now feeling 'more comfortable' at CB or words to that effect, which I take to mean he doesn't particularly want another season where he plays as much or more at RB than at CB. We need to address this. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

He said Kosta not Konza 😉

Sorry! Ned (as I call him) looks ridiculously talented. However he is 18 so even with some of his weaknesses his minutes need to be managed rather than potentially having to start 4-5 90 minute games in a row.

We want to keep improving we need to keep upgrading in positions as we've done at LB signing Maatsen.

I like Cashy more than most of this forum but being realistic I think this will be his last season with us, might even leave in January so we need to get in another RB sooner or later.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I like Cashy more than most of this forum but being realistic I think this will be his last season with us, might even leave in January so we need to get in another RB sooner or later.

Same. I hate how black and white everything has to be; Cash was and is a big improvement for a side who had finished 17th with Guilbert and a retiring Elmo at RB. He's played loads of games for us, been good in many, bad in some, and medium in others, but overall he's been a big part of a side that have made a hugely surprise advance from the bottom to the top of the league. I don't think there's any disgrace in a player who was a big improvement for a side finishing 17th not being quite good enough to play regularly for a side that wants to finish in the top 4. 

There was an interesting tidbit on Gary Neville's podcast video the other day. As usual it was all about the 'bigger' side so we didn't get much of a mention among a lot of analysis of Arsenal, but there was one telling part about how he thinks Martinelli is underperforming and he says how happy Martinelli should have been that Cash was at RB not Konsa. The video should start at the beginning of that section: 

I know lots of people don't like him or whatever, but he clearly knows a bit about being a right back and his comments about Cash here make pretty clear that he thinks he's the weak link in our backline. 

So, it doesn't have to be Geertruida, maybe it can't be for whatever reason, but we are going to need a new RB. Geertruida seems to fit well because of his age and his flexibility. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Same boat.

I love him to bits but there is a realisation.

Sadly, he won't be the last favourite to be eclipsed as we evolve either.

The Maatsen signing doesn't really look all that well planned if we need to sell to buy a RB we definitely needed at the start of the window. RB was undoubtedly a bigger need than LB. I suspect there's funds there but we're biding our time - maybe it's a negotiating tactic.

7 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

The Maatsen signing doesn't really look all that well planned if we need to sell to buy a RB we definitely needed at the start of the window. RB was undoubtedly a bigger need than LB. I suspect there's funds there but we're biding our time - maybe it's a negotiating tactic.

Moreno has looked crocked since came back from injury and seeing how we often built our attack with LB it was a big need

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It was though. Go and read Monchi‘s Telegraph interview - he outlined how we wanted to reduce the age of the squad. It’s no good having two starting left backs both aged 31. This might have been the best window to sign someone of the calibre of Ian. 

I don't disagree - Maatsen is a superb signing. But if the window closes and we've an injured Cash and Ned is the only other option at RB other than moving Konsa there then I feel this should've been prioritised over LB.

I guess the point I'm making is more in relation to whether there's money left to sign a RB.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Same boat.

I love him to bits but there is a realisation.

Sadly, he won't be the last favourite to be eclipsed as we evolve either.

I agree. Cash has had some great moments. But he has also had some poor moments. And to me, he looks terrified every time someone gives him the ball. He has improved being on the ball in tight spaces, but he is always one mistake away from dropping us points.

I think as we progress, he looks like the main one to be replaced.

Im not sure Nedeljkovic should be that player right now due to his inexperience & is a more attacking option for that RWB slot, & I think we are looking at a more defensive RB in Geertruida (along with his versatility to cover RCB too), but Cash isn't the player who is going to travel with us as we progress.

I like Cash, but taking the emotion out of it, I imagine he will be replaced within the next year or so.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â