Lutsharel Geertruida

nick76

19 minutes ago, TomC said:

I agree, stats aren't everything...that's why I admitted that I haven't seen Geertruida yet.

That said, I have seen Cash play, and I don't think that he's a bad one-on-one defender. He's been up against Ronaldo, Mbappe, and Messi without embarrassing himself. His real weakness is his occasional concentration lapse, which has caused him to lose his mark at the back post, ruin the offside trap, or concede a dumb penalty. I have never questioned that better RBs are out there. I just want a clear defensive upgrade if we're going to upgrade. He's not as bad as some people around here think.

Agree with this. It's not a disaster at all if Cash is our RB for most of the season, but i'd like for him to have a genuine competitor for his spot. I think signing Moreno really spurred on Digne last season, and RB is really the only position we don't have an established backup apart from GK where it's unnecessary and striker where we have some good options.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Agree with this. It's not a disaster at all if Cash is our RB for most of the season, but i'd like for him to have a genuine competitor for his spot. I think signing Moreno really spurred on Digne last season, and RB is really the only position we don't have an established backup apart from GK where it's unnecessary and striker where we have some good options.

Is Kosta injured or is he written off now?

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It is a disaster as he then becomes the obvious point that every single team will target. Cash needs to be the back up until Kosta comes through as a genuine challenger to whoever we buy in the next week or so. 

2 hours ago, TomC said:

So he's a clear upgrade over Cash going forward, but maybe a little worse at defending, certainly no better.

If we're going to upgrade at RB, I want a defensive upgrade. Maybe Unai can improve him, and to be fair, I haven't seen him play, but based on the stats, I'm not sold yet.

The context of the data is important. He plays for a team that dominates games so is typically always on the attack. That’s why his defensive stats appear poorer as they do for the Liverpool fullbacks for example. 

He’s a good defender as he also can play CB as well so no doubt he’ll be a significant upgrade to that side versus cash as well. 

• Like 1

I think Mings might play as a partner for Pau which means Konsa RB. When they move to a back 3 in possession it lessens the impact of a left footed in RCB. 

Then we have the regular Pau Carlos Konsa from last season too. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It would be foolish in the extreme to rely on Ty’s body holding up for anything other than as a squad player or maybe one game a week max.

We definitely need a Geertruida type RB/CB hybrid and I’m confident that one will be signed before the end of the window. 

Mings is a LCB, Geertruida is a RB/RCB - we have 4 players for that side. Carlos, Konsa, Cash and Nedeljkovic. 

Whatever way you want to frame is about Mings. We've 8 defenders and 2 per position, along with Bogarde that makes 9. 

I hope we can sign this lad, I just have a good vibe with it.

then I'm done.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Mings is a LCB, Geertruida is a RB/RCB - we have 4 players for that side. Carlos, Konsa, Cash and Nedeljkovic. 

Whatever way you want to frame is about Mings. We've 8 defenders and 2 per position, along with Bogarde that makes 9. 

We only have to have some good cup runs, and these players need rest.....and maybe some of the niggles, can now be rested, instead they was played last season, with niggles.

We as fans are not used to big squads, it comes with the territory of being a top team.

I think this lad could be the difference between 6th and another 4th.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We only have to have some good cup runs, and these players need rest.....and maybe some of the niggles, can now be rested, instead they was played last season, with niggles.

We as fans are not used to big squads, it comes with the territory of being a top team.

We also need to sell to buy and it doesn’t look like we are making any more sales. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We also need to sell to buy and it doesn’t look like we are making any more sales. 

yeah....shame.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is Kosta injured or is he written off now?

He’s going to be our starting RB by Christmas in my opinion, but had two shaky moments in his debut so several have decided he isn’t ready ;)

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s going to be our starting RB by Christmas in my opinion, but had two shaky moments in his debut so several have decided he isn’t ready ;)

I doubt we will have an 18 year old as our starting right back. He will probably get minutes to help his development but I expect Cash and Konsa to be our first two starting options for the season. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I doubt we will have an 18 year old as our starting right back. He will probably get minutes to help his development but I expect Cash and Konsa to be our first two starting options for the season. 

I don’t, let’s see! UTV!

If we had fullback options of Maatsen, Digne, Geertruida and Kosta/Cash (whilst he’s still here) we would be so well covered defensively and offensively. 

If we wanted to bomb on we could go Maatsen and Kosta, more attacking down the left Maatsen and Gertruida. More attacking down the right Kosta/Cash and Digne. Big opponent Digne and Geertruida. 

Adding Geertruida IMHO would make a massive difference.

He’s also got some goals in him. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rich192 said:

If you go on the Villa Twitter page, there’s three posts in a row, which start with “L”, “G”, and “Right back”. 

It’s happening! 

And it's Wednesday

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â