Lutsharel Geertruida

nick76

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m taking that, as it was Fab’s exclusive, rather than the Sky guy’s

yep - romano tweeted yesterday that the deal relies on the carlos deal getting done first. sky have just piggybacked on that

39 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Read an article yesterday that according to Forbes Romano has over a 90% success rate and is the second most reliable - 

He is supposed to have a lot of contacts and people working for him, spying at training grounds when a new signing is expected for example. From what you see he does seem to have some good knowledge and because he's so big I'm sure agents leak things to him when they need to. 

Seems very likely to happen, unless Diego Carlos' move falls through.

Question is where is he playing. Is he coming in for RCB? RB? Cover for both ala Konsa? Will Cash leave?

Will just have to wait and see on all those things. Fundamentally like the profile of player though. Fee will be interesting.

Find this an interesting one. From the very limited amount I've seen of him previously and the amateur research I've done in the last couple of days he's been at his best when inverting into midfield and essentially playing as a CM in possession (as some of the heat maps posted on previous pages attest to), which you'd imagine he wouldn't do at Villa given it's not the game of any left back at the  club to play as a third centre back.

Geertruida-Konsa-Torres-Maatsen isn't really a backline that screams solidity either and feels like we'd still be vulnerable to crosses etc, though conversely he's so comfortable in possession that he'd be a big help in controlling games better, which can be a struggle sometimes with Cash and/or Carlos.

40 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Find this an interesting one. From the very limited amount I've seen of him previously and the amateur research I've done in the last couple of days he's been at his best when inverting into midfield and essentially playing as a CM in possession (as some of the heat maps posted on previous pages attest to), which you'd imagine he wouldn't do at Villa given it's not the game of any left back at the  club to play as a third centre back.

Geertruida-Konsa-Torres-Maatsen isn't really a backline that screams solidity either and feels like we'd still be vulnerable to crosses etc, though conversely he's so comfortable in possession that he'd be a big help in controlling games better, which can be a struggle sometimes with Cash and/or Carlos.

He's actually very good in the air, he just hasn't needed to be during his days at Feyenord.

But the rest of that backline does indeed lack height and a commanding presence. I guess my point is, he makes us better defensively in the air, and more so than any other current defender we have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He's actually very good in the air, he just hasn't needed to be during his days at Feyenord.

But the rest of that backline does indeed lack height and a commanding presence. I guess my point is, he makes us better defensively in the air, and more so than any other current defender we have.

Didn't necessarily mean just winning headers from crosses but also stopping them at source etc. Towards the end of the season it felt as though teams had worked out how Villa defended and you were seeing a lot of goals conceded from teams doubling up down the wing. That can obviously happen in different ways and not always be the fault of the full back, but it was definitely an area that there could've been improvement in. As I said, haven't got a forensic knowledge of Feyenoord but my understanding is that defending runners in behind is something he hasn't been great at previously so I wonder how much of an upgrade he'll be in that sense, but regardless I think it'd be a net positive if he signed because he has such strengths in other areas that would improve how the team functions.

As the season approaches though there is a part of me that would feel more secure if Konsa played right back (despite being better at centre back) and we signed a more dominant centre back whose natural game is defending the box, because outside of an unfit Mings it's a profile missing from the squad.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Didn't necessarily mean just winning headers from crosses but also stopping them at source etc. Towards the end of the season it felt as though teams had worked out how Villa defended and you were seeing a lot of goals conceded from teams doubling up down the wing. That can obviously happen in different ways and not always be the fault of the full back, but it was definitely an area that there could've been improvement in. As I said, haven't got a forensic knowledge of Feyenoord but my understanding is that defending runners in behind is something he hasn't been great at previously so I wonder how much of an upgrade he'll be in that sense, but regardless I think it'd be a net positive if he signed because he has such strengths in other areas that would improve how the team functions.

As the season approaches though there is a part of me that would feel more secure if Konsa played right back (despite being better at centre back) and we signed a more dominant centre back whose natural game is defending the box, because outside of an unfit Mings it's a profile missing from the squad.

Yep.

30 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We've already signed players like Onana, Enzo and Barkley who will provide a stronger aerial presence from set pieces (at both ends).  I do think we failed to stop too many crosses from the right in particular last season - so an RB who can stop players getting crosses in from dangerous positions will help.  Crosses from further out are less of a problem because Emi's pretty good at dominating his area and actually they're harder for forwards to generate powerful headers / shots from.  I'm happy with a Konsa-Torres partnership if we are better at blocking the threat at source.  It's never going to be a watertight defence but it is one that will result in a net profit in terms of initiating more goals scored than goals conceded (from aerial balls / giving the ball away which are the biggest concerns).  Rogers is another with plenty of height who will be more clued into our defensive plans / approach and of course Emi B always seems to win more headers than he should.

I would like a more powerful aerial central defender as backup / replacement to Carlos - as that gives Emery options and allows us to play a maybe less technical CB when we're playing teams who are more likely to throw in more high balls.  A lot of this is also dependent on the real situation with Mings (which rightfully is still a pretty closely guarded secret) as I think we will have the option at times of playing a Konsa-Mings-Torres three - which would be pretty effective against certain opponents.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â