Vile Summer 2024 Far-right/Anti-immigrant Unrest

Marka Ragnos

Just now, bickster said:

Encouraging societal breakdown is no threat to society?

That there is a failure of logic

She's the special kind of word removed that would have lead a cheer leading squad outside Auschwitz

Very unlikely she'd do something stupid like that again. So wouldn't be a threat to society 

If you have a platform, and you use that platform in a negative way, you literally are beyond the **** about stage and well into the find out stage. But you know, lets give the racists a slap on the wrist.

Just now, bickster said:

Yep, that's me totally convinced :crylaugh: 

So you really think she'd go straight back on x and start posting hateful violent tweets again and risk being away from her family for years. That makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

based on?

Countries like Norway or the Netherlands with low rates of incarceration and a focus on rehabilitation instead have much lower rates of reoffending compared with countries like the U.K. or US with a much higher rate of incarceration. 

It may sound counterintuitive but a person is more likely to reoffend if you send them to prison than if the punishment was a more community based rehabilitation program. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Countries like Norway or the Netherlands with low rates of incarceration and a focus on rehabilitation instead have much lower rates of reoffending compared with countries like the U.K. or US with a much higher rate of incarceration. 

It may sound counterintuitive but a person is more likely to reoffend if you send them to prison than if the punishment was a more community based rehabilitation program. 

You're focusing on the actual criminal and not the deterrent to others.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So you really think she'd go straight back on x and start posting hateful violent tweets again and risk being away from her family for years. That makes no sense to me. 

WIthout the actual punishment taking place? Yep you betcha I do, go quiet for a few weeks but she's soon be off on one again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

WIthout the actual punishment taking place? Yep you betcha I do, go quiet for a few weeks but she's soon be off on one again.

If the sentence was suspended then she wouldn't. 

Just now, PaulC said:

If the sentence was suspended then she wouldn't. 

You can't give her a suspended sentence whilst giving all the other participants in the Farage Riots heavy sentences, that really isn't the way this works. This special word removed was encouraging people to burn down hotels housing refugees at a time when there were literal mobs outside said hotels, trying to burn them down. This isn't some innocent mistake.

The people convicted of the actual attempts of arson with intent to murder so far have received much harsher sentences, so it is all in proportion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Meanwhile the Manchester airport men that attacked the police and broke the police woman's nose are still walking free.  This isn't about taking sides its about fairness. No doubt what she did was abhorrent but she's still a mother and a carer and has no previous criminal convictions and is no threat to society. This must be devastating for the entire family. It's not just about her it's her entire family affected. 

They'll be sent down no doubt, but they can't until investigations are complete.

This woman has already pleaded guilty to attempting to incite violence.

Edited by Wainy316

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not defending her or her tweet, she's a nasty piece of work, but its more about the inconsistency of the sentences issued. Be tough on crime, no problem, but don't cherry pick what you are tough on. 

Which other cases have been treated less harshly than this? Seems pretty much in line with the others. 

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

You're focusing on the actual criminal and not the deterrent to others.

The idea of treating one person unfairly to make an example to others is not a form of punishment I agree with personally. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The idea of treating one person unfairly to make an example to others is not a form of punishment I agree with personally. 

Absolutely agree. She wanted to intimidate a small group of people as an example to others. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

She’s pleaded guilty to encouraging the burning of people, during a rapidly escalating riot.

She hasn’t been mean to a pop star, or been rude to a politician. She encouraged race murders during a riot.

We could have rapidly lost control of places across the country. People were barricading hotel fire exits and trying to set light to them. Gangs were setting up roadblock check points. There was looting.

How can people think this woman has been harshly treated?

There are different ways to deal with criminal behaviour and prison sentences are not always the best.

In fact countries with the most optimal criminal reform outcomes treat a prison sentence as a last resort. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There are different ways to deal with criminal behaviour and prison sentences are not always the best.

In fact countries with the most optimal criminal reform outcomes treat a prison sentence as a last resort. 

And how many of these studies were based specifically on criminals who had participated in or encouraged far right rioting on the streets of those countries where there was great need to deter others form acting in a similar fashion?

Sometimes the deterrent is more important that the rehabilitation. Wider than this, I'd probably agree with you but in this specific set of circumstances, no, can't agree

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â