Vile Summer 2024 Far-right/Anti-immigrant Unrest

Marka Ragnos

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

How hard was that?

Harder than it needed to be because you aren’t giving us quotes and references for your argument.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's Google for you.

Yeah I relied on it. I read an interesting quote by Cletus R Jacamo last night if you want to go seek it out. 

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Surely you should know as he is reliant on you to validate this Leo X. 

Knowledge has always been at the forefront of my brain 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Knowledge has always been at the forefront on my brain 

How you know something is always more important than what you know.

On 07/08/2024 at 07:19, TheAuthority said:

Ben, trying to take the really wide, long (insert KW) view here.

Isn't this all an indication of a state failing it's citizens in education and in opportunity? After many generations of working poor, kids in poverty, crap schools, terrible housing, no opportunity you end up with a vile underclass that care so little that they will riot/stab and generally be anti-social.

I am not in anyway trying to excuse them but when you're growing up you have to be aspirational - you need to have a positive outlook and want to get on in life. It seems like a lot these people are completely lost/out to lunch. Their parents grew up the same way, they have kids and the cycle continues. 

It's noticeable to me that folks on VT are generally very negative about the UK and it's got worse in the last couple of years. I don't know what the answer is to get people excited about their future and country again. "Cool Britannia" in the 90's might have been a little contrived but people generally seemed excited about their lives back then.

I'm catching up on this thread and about 40 pages behind so sorry if it's been covered and it's repetition.

I've also just read @Rolta's anecdotal reply about people falling into the rabbit hole despite having opportunity in front of them and it's impossible to ignore that reality.

But there's also a reason why areas of great poverty, like the S.Wales valleys for instance, are seen as recruiting opportunities by the racist mobs. There's more than something true about your post imho. Happier content educated people with opportunity are less inclined to listen to hatred and bigotry and accept it's reasoning as fact imo. But it's not hard to understand why people feel disenfranchised from the wider society when their communities have been disenfranchised from the wider society and left to rot. Whether using them as dumping grounds for the undesirables from other areas is just exaserbation or cause and effect is probably worth thinking about. I think it definitely adds to the social bubbles that exacerbates the lack of understanding. Creating divisions of us and them. Out of sight...

I also often wonder if people who dismiss this idea out of hand have ever recently visited places like those down the Rhondda and seen the reality of what living in or growing up in these areas of extreme poverty is actually like. Low employment, high crime, riddled with drug abuse, abandoned by the political class, poor levels and access to education. The very places that need the most from our societies if equality of opportunity is to be more than just an aspirational soundbite.

Of course, as other posters have alluded to, there are also just racist scumbags. Some of them are proper rich - like convicted fraudster SYL et al.

I definitely grew up around people who did simple maths around the number of jobs and the number of immigrants and put 2 and 2 together to makes 5 million, and I wonder if opportunity might well at least quash that particular roadway into extremism at source.

It's also at some level symptomatic of divide and conquer 101. The more we can 'other' various group identities be it along the lines of religeon or race or wealth and class etc and misdirect anger towards them, it time and time again lets the ruling overlords off the hook and does little to affect the status-quo or create the conditions for any real fundamental change. As the great Voltaire quote says:

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

I suppose it's only really relevant if we believe in enlightenment as a concept, rather than wishy thinking from 300 years ago.

It's undoubtedly complicated though and there's definitely no one size fits all reason underpinning it.

Anyway monologue over, I'll go back to the fanny jokes in another thread.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Is Leon Davis Leo X? 

Wasn't Leon Davis one of the guys suspected of assassinating Malcom X?

If so that would be a pretty weird person to quote.

I'm genuinely interested in who Leo X is and the quote, but I can't find any reference to anyone called Leo X or the quote itself on the net. And it doesn't look like @sheepyvillian has any intention of enlightening us. Which is a shame

I assume it's something he made up

Edited by Stevo985

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Hmm. So it's the morning after and a time for reflection on a bizarre outburst.

Would I be right in thinking (because I only post on here) that there is a lot of revisionism going on online with people trying to downplay the riots and make them seem less than they were? Mere high jinks from a bunch of idiots? 

Doesn’t seem like he’s attacking your comment from the right?

Much more likely to be “racism against black people in America is a unique historical crime that knows no equal, how dare you demean their suffering by comparing it to your own country’s pathetic attempts at racism?”

At least that’s the only interpretation I can come up with that seems consistent with his recent posts.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Doesn’t seem like he’s attacking your comment from the right?

Much more likely to be “racism against black people in America is a unique historical crime that knows no equal, how dare you demean their suffering by comparing it to your own country’s pathetic attempts at racism?”

At least that’s the only interpretation I can come up with that seems consistent with his recent posts.

Thank you, Brother. 

1 minute ago, will87 said:

Leo X will be someone from the Nation of Islam I'm guessing.

This was buried among all the dozens of links to the Pope. 

Screenshot_2024-08-26-14-45-37-01_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â