Testosterone, intersex and women's sport

veloman

4 minutes ago, veloman said:

How do people who have strong opinions on this topic feel about the comments made by Angela Carini ? 

I felt for her. She couid have got badly hurt.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's off topic as neither she nor her opponent are transgender.

I see !   So, for my edifiaction, whar gender is Khelif ?

9 minutes ago, veloman said:

Female. 

And even if you wish to argue that, assuming she is in some way intersex, it's still not a trans issue, and thus off topic.

• Like 1

I guess the one positive with the boxer, it might cause hateful people like Badenoch or Rowling to realise it’s not quite as simple as their world view wants it to be.

• Like 1

No Rowling decided to spend today misgendering a woman and railing against the Olympics as she sets fire to whatever vestiges of respect you might consider having for her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

She is female but has XY cromosomes. She should never been alowed to compete. Caster Semenya had the same and is now banned. So you need to ask yourself, why is a competitor with high levels of testosterone due to XY cromosomes allowed to box. Very dangerous. The IOC have alot to answer, especially as she was banned from the boxing world championships for this reason too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

She’s a woman from what I’m aware , but with high testosterone levels 

Does she have large gametes or small gametes? That I think would determine her sex from a biological point of view.

22 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Does she have large gametes or small gametes? That I think would determine her sex from a biological point of view.

I wouldn't wanna find out, either way 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

She is female but has XY cromosomes. She should never been alowed to compete. Caster Semenya had the same and is now banned. So you need to ask yourself, why is a competitor with high levels of testosterone due to XY cromosomes allowed to box. Very dangerous. The IOC have alot to answer, especially as she was banned from the boxing world championships for this reason too.

How do you enforce this? An arbitrary testosterone threshold? Does it apply to the men's game, where presumably there'd be a similar advantage? Where do you draw the line for biological advantages? Previously it was gender, but apparently that's not enough anymore

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Where do you draw the line for biological advantages?

Depending on whether you were born with the evolutionary equipment (functioning or not) to produce large or small gametes. The XY XX divide is the wrong marker to choose.

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How do you enforce this? An arbitrary testosterone threshold? Does it apply to the men's game, where presumably there'd be a similar advantage? Where do you draw the line for biological advantages? Previously it was gender, but apparently that's not enough anymore

There is a line for women and men's levels. 

Which is why drugs that uncrease it are banned.

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Well the Algerian woman (as well as every other competitor) was cleared by the IOC as eligible to compete, so what is the issue?

It's not even like she's particularly dominant anyway. It's like asking for Adama Traore to be banned, meanwhile Messi and Ronaldo are out there scoring 80 goals/season.

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is there a line for men?

Obviously a drug that artificially increases it is banned, but I've not heard of any men being banned for naturally producing too much testosterone?

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well the Algerian woman (as well as every other competitor) was cleared by the IOC as eligible to compete, so what is the issue?

It's not even like she's particularly dominant anyway. It's like asking for Adama Traore to be banned, meanwhile Messi and Ronaldo are out there scoring 80 goals/season.

I don't really feel like the level of dominance is relevant. Using that logic, we should be allowed to juice up Calum Chambers with all the performance enhancing drugs we like because he still won't be as good as Ronaldo or Messi are.

I'm not necessarily saying the Algerian woman should be banned, but if she's getting an unfair advantage due to being intersex then that shouldn't be permitted regardless of her level of skill.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Is there a line for men?

Obviously a drug that artificially increases it is banned, but I've not heard of any men being banned for naturally producing too much testosterone?

I don't really feel like the level of dominance is relevant. Using that logic, we should be allowed to juice up Calum Chambers with all the performance enhancing drugs we like because he still won't be as good as Ronaldo or Messi are.

I'm not necessarily saying the Algerian woman should be banned, but if she's getting an unfair advantage due to being intersex then that shouldn't be permitted regardless of her level of skill.

Well dominance is relevant because it is at least some measure of a potential unfair advantage. It's like saying Calum Chambers has an unfair advantage over everyone else, and yet he's...well, Calum Chambers. If he has one, it's not very evident.

You are often alluding to drugs and artificially enhancing, but this person is completely natural. For the bolded, that is exactly my point. Essentially she can't compete with women because of her testosterone levels, but also not with men because well, she's not a man. 

There’s another ‘scandal’ in Poland too where a polish woman lost to a boy looking woman and everyone is calling her a man too. TERFs are doing serious damage; they’re not stopping at actual trans people but attacking biological women who don’t fit the conventional female look. Feminists who want all women to look like women. Good work. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â