ender4

14 minutes ago, smg said:

Can’t wait for the answers to the question I posed to two negative ‘fans’ probably will never come, but am confused as to why so called Villa followers feel the need to post negative comments before games but don’t bother to explain why we are going to lose 3-0, get hammered , will be destroyed etc etc. Are they just looking for a reaction (bugger just gave them one) or do they support our less than successful city neighbours and feel inferior so feel the need to post crap?

Why do you want people to explain their opinions?  I suppose as a society we should try and limit airing our negative opinions in public but it's not very realistic an expectation.  

As long as there are no personal insults or anything nasty or over the top then just leave people to it.  I very much doubt any Villa fan wants to lose tomorrow but lots of people will predict a loss as bit of a defence mechanism so that if Villa do lose they can sort of shrug it off as they were expecting it anyway.  

Last year I actually thought we'd get something at Newcastle. Instead basically everything that could go wrong that day did.

In the first 10 minutes Pau could fall over and get a serious injury like Mings did (hopefully not). Or we could have a rubbish day failing to deal with their set pieces/corners.

I wouldn't say someone predicting West Ham to put three past us is some incredulous suggestion, plenty were scoring 2 or 3 past us in the second half of last season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Actually, been very surprised by how downbeat almost everyone seems about Villa this month. It worries me, the low expectations. What's our problem?

I have no doubt that the players and Unai see things differently.

1-3 Villa

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

I reckon he might start McGinn ahead of Bailey, keep it tight and combative, with Ramsey and Rogers. Then introduce Bailey later in the game. That’s how Bailey was so effective last early season.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Last year I actually thought we'd get something at Newcastle. Instead basically everything that could go wrong that day did.

In the first 10 minutes Pau could fall over and get a serious injury like Mings did (hopefully not). Or we could have a rubbish day failing to deal with their set pieces/corners.

I wouldn't say someone predicting West Ham to put three past us is some incredulous suggestion, plenty were scoring 2 or 3 past us in the second half of last season.

Utd v Fulham was poor, I thought Fulham especially so. Utd have a knack of squeezing points when they just don’t deserve it. We could do with some of that.

Hoping for a steady showing, happy with a point but they have danger all over the pitch. It will be interesting to see if our full 11 picks up from the last season (not the tail end version).

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I reckon he might start McGinn ahead of Bailey, keep it tight and combative, with Ramsey and Rogers. Then introduce Bailey later in the game. That’s how Bailey was so effective last early season.

Bailey was one of our best players last season. Initially he was better off the bench but he was starting second half of the season and was fantastic. 10 goals and 9 assists in about 2000 minutes of football. If he plays 3000+ minutes this season there's every chance he could get 15 goals and 15 assists or something ridiculous.

I think dropping him to try to be more defensive is not something that will work, playing Bailey will allow us to cause so many problems for West Ham in transition.

I just hope Ollie starts because we need him to if we are to get a positive result today. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

West Ham (a)

It’s so hard to predict the line up here. We have lots of options. I think it will be as above but with Diego at centre back and Konsa at right back.

It’s going to be very interesting to see who makes the bench too. Some people are going to be very disappointed today!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Completely forgot we got trashed by Newcastle on the first game last season, wasn’t that a 5:30 KO too…

• Like 1

I think this might be a 1-1 and I'd be ok with that. We need to get at least a point from the first 2 tough games, then from Leicester onwards start to pick up wins.

It's good to have the season back but I wish we were in a slightly better place going into the new season. Hoping for Geertruida and a new attacker by the Arsenal game.

We haven't won at West Ham since April 2011 so we are way overdue a win there, but a draw is fine. I just want an end to these opening day defeats whether we play a good side or a crap side so let's hope today we avoid that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smg said:

Like a question to another negative poster, would you care to explain why you feel this will be the final result?

Apart from us looking horrific in pre season?

Cannot wait. 

2 hours ago, MCU said:

Completely forgot we got trashed by Newcastle on the first game last season, wasn’t that a 5:30 KO too…

In fairness, we played well.  The result didn't do our performance justice. Can't wait for this evening. 

Was gutted when Luiz left. Hoping to see Tielemans step up.

What a season ahead, can't wait to hear the champions league anthem at Villa Park.

Backing us to start with a win.

West Ham 0-2 Aston Villa 

Edited by Villastine
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Pau Digne

Bailey Onana Tielemans McGinn

Rogers Watkins

I’d almost say it has to be this team. 

But as always… in Unai we trust 

17 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

West Ham (a)

I think the above may well be the line up which is some team. Assuming there are no surprise injuries we'll also have an unbelievably strong bench likely to be Gauci, Carlos, Kosta, Maatsen, Barkley, Buendia, Bailey, JPB, Duran which would mean no place for Moreno, Barrenechea, Iling Jnr, Dendonker and obviously Mings and Kamara are out. How far we've come.

I think we're better than West Ham so whilst it will be a tough game I fancy us to win it by a couple of goals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Don't feel confident at all. 

Yeah, it would have been nice to have seen us really purring for 90 mins a game before the season started but Emery in that Talk sport interview was steely focused, I know where you're coming from but I also think we might hit the ground running and be prepared really well for this.