ender4

A good challenge to start against a team who should only finish a few places below us. Probably take a draw and get a point on the board, but we have been so good in London recently I fancy us to nick it - Rogers off to a flyer, 0-1.

59 minutes ago, rubberman said:

A good challenge to start against a team who should only finish a few places below us. Probably take a draw and get a point on the board, but we have been so good in London recently I fancy us to nick it - Rogers off to a flyer, 0-1.

Except at West Ham. Absolutely crazy that we've beaten Chelsea and Spurs away twice in a row and also beaten Arsenal away last season, yet have lost twice in a row to Palace away (one of them 5-0) and not beaten West Ham away since 2011.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2024 at 22:36, Keyblade said:

I just want Rogers to play behind Ollie and not on the left. I don't know if Ramsey is ready to start but we need Rogers in the 10 to pull those CBs and DMs out of position. Wan Bissaka would mark him out of the game otherwise you'd feel

We usually play with the Rogers/Ramsey player as a sort of deep inside left - covering left midfield when in a defensive shape and playing the inside channel behind Ollie when we're going forward - the left sided attacking player being the fullback who will be out wide. 

• Like 1

As ever the new season fills me with optimism, haven't been to the London stadium since the 2012 London Olympics super Saturday so hoping to witness another great performance at the stadium. 1-2 with Ollie and Morgan scoring.

Edited by Eligius

Press them aggressively?

If they’re as good as so many are thinking (not so sure) then maybe this is a good time to play them before they are settled and players have all gelled?

• Like 1

Don't see many surprises in the starting line up. The biggest question is probably the right back position. 

Given that we are generally shit away at WHU I think Unai will go with Cash with his experience but still think Kosta has a chance after that pre-season.

Back to weekends with a purpose, and a claret and blue one at that. I really don't get the negativity of some. It's onwards and upwards from here on now. Of course we'll have a few set - backs along the way, but that's to be expected in this game. 

I think we come out on top by 3 goals to 1. Unai will have them focused that's for sure. My faith stays intact. 

Come on me Babbys!!

Edited by sheepyvillian

Can see us going a bit more solid and midfielder-heavy to start, with Bailey being used off the bench to hopefully good effect as he often was last season. Same as others have posted above, something like:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Torres Digne

Onana Tielemans

McGinn                              Ramsey

Rogers

Watkins

We got battered last season in our first game and finished 4th.

This is an easier game than Newcastle away, we've not made whole sale changes to the staring 11 and West Ham have new players to bed in. 

I'd be disappointed to not come away with at least a point. 

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Except at West Ham. Absolutely crazy that we've beaten Chelsea and Spurs away twice in a row and also beaten Arsenal away last season, yet have lost twice in a row to Palace away (one of them 5-0) and not beaten West Ham away since 2011.

After the 90s finished we never did that well at Upton Park traditionally. Can remember a few draws with Gregory as manager then we had a 4-0 Monday night horror show when we made Harwood look like Mbappe. Then more draws under O'Neill.

Probably something like two wins in 20 odd years which isn't great at all. Given it's the opening day a point is a fine result tomorrow.

Big game, a win cements our place as title favourites and a loss basically guarantees we'll be relegated. If it does end in a draw it will mean we can be 99% sure we will draw all 38 games this season and finish 14th. 

No pressure. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, striker said:

Concerned for Villa on this one. 3-0 to West Ham.

Like a question to another negative poster, would you care to explain why you feel this will be the final result?

• Like 1

Can’t wait for the answers to the question I posed to two negative ‘fans’ probably will never come, but am confused as to why so called Villa followers feel the need to post negative comments before games but don’t bother to explain why we are going to lose 3-0, get hammered , will be destroyed etc etc. Are they just looking for a reaction (bugger just gave them one) or do they support our less than successful city neighbours and feel inferior so feel the need to post crap?

i know this isnt predictive, but we have lost 80% of our 5 opening PL games since we got promoted.

lost versus Spurs, Watford, Bournemouth & Newcastle, for a combined 14-4.

Our 1 win was versus Sheff utd, 1-0 in 20/21.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1