ender4

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Doesn’t a “new manager bounce” only occur when someone takes over a team midway through the season? 

I guess we'll find out on Saturday 😂

• Like 1

If memory serves, this fixture was Paul Lambert's first for Villa and West Ham's first game back after being relegated in a season where we also played them first game of the season (which happened to be Milner's last game in a Villa shirt and the emergence of Marc Albrighton as a real talent). 

I fear we'll have a similarly dreary night against Lopetegui's side who will bore us to death with a 1-0 defeat from a set piece.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2024 at 05:33, wedge said:

Make no mistake, this is going to be a very, very tough game.

They've got a tidy looking squad and have a new manager bounce infused home game to start the season off.

Every body has a plan until they're punched in the mouth.

• Haha 1

But seriously, imagine trying to get UCL after getting smashed in your Week 1 fixture away from home to a potential rival. Massively important th.....

Oh, wait.

• Like 2

As things stand, this is the team I’d go with:

Martinez
Cash Konsa Pau Torres Digne
Onana Tirlemans
Bailey Rogers McGinn
Watkins

Edited by duke313

20 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I would go as far to say it’s gonna be a very, very tough season

scrub this, feel a lot better about things now Felix is not coming, repeat of the 1996 game incoming inside and out 🤣

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If memory serves, this fixture was Paul Lambert's first for Villa and West Ham's first game back after being relegated in a season where we also played them first game of the season (which happened to be Milner's last game in a Villa shirt and the emergence of Marc Albrighton as a real talent). 

I fear we'll have a similarly dreary night against Lopetegui's side who will bore us to death with a 1-0 defeat from a set piece.

You're confusing two separate fixtures.

We did indeed play West Ham away in Lambert's first fixture in 2012 (and lost 1-0) but Milner's last game and Albrighton's emergence was two seasons before that in the opening game in 2010 under Kevin MacDonald (we won that game 3-0 and then got spanked 6-0 by newly promoted Newcastle a week later).

Edited by Mantis

Referee: Tony Harrington.
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Matthew Wilkes.
Fourth official:
Andrew Kitchen.
VAR: John Brooks.
Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

You're confusing two separate fixtures.

We did indeed play West Ham away in Lambert's first fixture in 2012 (and lost 1-0) but Milner's last game and Albrighton's emergence was two seasons before that in the opening game in 2010 under Kevin MacDonald (we won that game 3-0 and then got spanked 6-0 by newly promoted Newcastle a week later).

You misread me. I said that Lambert fixture was West Ham's first game back in the PL since the season they got relegated, which also happened to start with a game against us.

Speaking to a West Ham fan yesterday and he was excited for the team coming together but said there is still plenty of work to be done from what he has seen with a new manager and players for all to Gel - He actually fancied us for Saturday as felt more stable in terms of team this year vs last year

I told him it will be Newcastle MK2 in my opinion 5-1 With that big lumux up top Fulkrug grabbing 2 and bullying us

I would take a draw, and be pleased with that result…..but we kinda like London, these days, so who knows.

I still have a nervousness, about nullifying opponents.

Edited by TRO

3-1 West ham

I just don't see us being anywhere near ready for the new season.

It may take us 1 or 2 months to get up to speed and gel in the new arrivals 

• Haha 1