Girondins de Bordeaux FC

maqroll

Feels like they should have their own thread in here, out of respect.

I didn't even know they were struggling, and now they've folded.

How tragic. How did this happen?

• Sad 2

A huge name in French football. Their gradual decline is very sad. I feel really sorry for the players and staff loosing their jobs. It’s a damn shame that they’ve had to revoke professional status. I hope a buyer of good standing can come in and stop them entering liquidity. A black day for French football and European football more generally. No club should face this. 

We played them in 1997, needed that extra time goal from Savo to beat them in two very tight encounters. They had Papin and Wiltord upfront in both games.

Think they won the French League two years later and were CL QFs as recently as 2010 so very much a Leeds demise for them.

• Like 2

It's terrible to see. But putting my disaster capitalist head on it wouldn't be a bad idea for Villa or even Vitória to pick up some of their young players who are free now. Mathys Angely, a 17 year old centre half with first team and french underage experience.

But again thoughts with the fans. I loved their old stadium too, was unique.

Sad news indeed. I was only reading an article about their financial issues a few weeks back. Sounds like they had a potential buyer recently but it's fallen through. 

The French leagues in general are struggling. Viewership as been an issue for quite a whole and the likes of Mbappe leaving doesn't help. 

Very sad, remember an away trip there back in the 90’s. Pre match sat at the next table in a cafe to Tom Ross and my mate told him he had the perfect face for radio.

Edited by Robbie09
  • Haha 3

Multi club owner making a mess what a surprise. His Portuguese team arent faring better. Should be a banned concept

French league wanted to revoke the professional status a few years back because of the clubs problems and the club won an appeal so sadly this has been a long time coming

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Multi club owner making a mess what a surprise. His Portuguese team arent faring better. Should be a banned concept

French league wanted to revoke the professional status a few years back because of the clubs problems and the club won an appeal so sadly this has been a long time coming

Multi club owner is a bit of stretch - he has 2 clubs.  Boavista are also fine; had a tough season but mid-top flight is their home.

But yeah, big shame to see clubs going under.

14 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

So sad. So many good players back in the day.

Johan Micoud

Zidane

Pauleta

Lizarazu

Such a big club as well. 

And Papin played for them for a bit as well? French football is in ruins due to the collapse of their tv deal.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Their downfall has nothing to do with that - there’s major factors including the domestic economy, poor ownership and the collapse of TV rights. The French football federation have much to answer for. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Their downfall has nothing to do with that - there’s major factors including the domestic economy, poor ownership and the collapse of TV rights. The French football federation have much to answer for. 

What do FFF have to answer for? They warned the league and its clubs off the TV deal and then tried get Canal back onboard

Gutted. They were a very good side growing up in the 90s, regular UEFA Cup appearances and some very good players. 

What a mess. Probably the biggest name to have gone pop because of the way modern football is. 

Hopefully they can start again and find their way. 

Apparently they are still owed 10 million from Barcelona on the Malcom deal

If true and with this scumbag club it probably is then well anybody  supports them should be ashamed

On 25/07/2024 at 20:25, VillaChris said:

We played them in 1997, needed that extra time goal from Savo to beat them in two very tight encounters. They had Papin and Wiltord upfront in both games.

Think they won the French League two years later and were CL QFs as recently as 2010 so very much a Leeds demise for them.

Won the league in 2009 too. Only 15 years ago!

• Thanks 1

They've folded?! 

Gutted, with that. My Mrs is from there and a few games with her family was on my wishlist. Lovely colour kits too, they did an anniversary kit not long ago that was Great

Maybe V Sports can step in.

Bordeaux may not have a V in it, but it's literally the home of Claret.

I'm not a fan of the Multi Club Model. But protecting community assets like this is one of the few benefits.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â