Childhood Heroes

My dad was  an acquaintance of Ian ' Chico'  Hamilton who i had the pleasure to meet as a kid.

I saw him play a few times that year we were in the 3rd division it was 1973 if i remember correct always fond memories of him

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

Peter Broadbent Aston Villa 1967 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Pin page Pin page PLAYER FOCUS | Andy Lochhead Another three (Curtis, Gibson & Andy) who joined us late in their careers, back then Paul. 

Yes only Gibson still alive 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, turnbull said:

My first Villa hero was Charlie Aitken. Back in 69/70, when Villa had sold their Trinity Road training ground to King Edward's Grammar in Aston, for a while the players trained on Cooksey Lane playing fields in Kingstanding. I went to Kingsland Primary which was around the corner and occasionally we'd play football the same time as the Villa were there. Most of the kids, inc me, were more bothered about the players than our own game and if a stray ball headed over our way, there'd be a race to kick it back to whichever player was coming over to retrieve it. I remember the smile on Bruce Rioch's face once when he saw all the lads in a foot race to beat him to the ball. Good times. 

Yes, Charlie was my first hero, but there others, such as Bruce, Brian Tiler and of course Fred.

My biggest and lasting Villa hero though has to be Brian Little. Just a fantastic player, the best to wear the shirt, IMO.

UTFV

Great memories shared. It's great that so many villa fans think so fondly of Brian Little. He will always he my all time fav. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, turnbull said:

My first Villa hero was Charlie Aitken. Back in 69/70, when Villa had sold their Trinity Road training ground to King Edward's Grammar in Aston, for a while the players trained on Cooksey Lane playing fields in Kingstanding. I went to Kingsland Primary which was around the corner and occasionally we'd play football the same time as the Villa were there. Most of the kids, inc me, were more bothered about the players than our own game and if a stray ball headed over our way, there'd be a race to kick it back to whichever player was coming over to retrieve it. I remember the smile on Bruce Rioch's face once when he saw all the lads in a foot race to beat him to the ball. Good times. 

Yes, Charlie was my first hero, but there others, such as Bruce, Brian Tiler and of course Fred.

My biggest and lasting Villa hero though has to be Brian Little. Just a fantastic player, the best to wear the shirt, IMO.

UTFV

If I could give this more than one like I would 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

If I could give this more than one like I would 

Thanks mate. They were good days for me as a 9 year old lad, blissfully unaware of how bad things were at the club. All I knew was that "The Doc must go!" and he eventually did. 😁

57 minutes ago, turnbull said:

Thanks mate. They were good days for me as a 9 year old lad, blissfully unaware of how bad things were at the club. All I knew was that "The Doc must go!" and he eventually did. 😁

The low point was 2-4 at home to them lot in 67 I am told 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The low point was 2-4 at home to them lot in 67 I am told 

I didn't go to a game until September 69 so I wouldn't have known that, but the rot had certainly begun to set in a few years before the relegation to Division 3. 

I'm only a babby, remember 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnbull said:

I always felt The Doc had a lot of time for our club and for us fans. It didn't  work out in the end, but his appointment had the crowds flooding back to Villa Park and he did make some good signings too. My preference back in those days was "The board must go". ;) 

• Like 1

I once met Peter McParland at Dr Massey's surgery in Kingstanding. But my favourite at this time was Gerry Hutchins.  Great center forward!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Gabby ? - would not even allow him in the betting tbh 

Obviously he tarnished his reputation but back when he was scoring the derby winners.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Gabby ? - would not even allow him in the betting tbh 

Not that surprising that someone with 95 in their user name would've had a period of idolising Gabby in their youth tbf. Very much the same for me! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Not that surprising that someone with 95 in their user name would've had a period of idolising Gabby in their youth tbf. Very much the same for me! 

The 95 in the user name could also have suggested a vote for Eric: Eric Houghton - Wikipedia :D:D

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

No you are not wrong - but for me a guy who downed tools in our hour of need - gave up all rights to ever becoming a Villa legend. I’m bored of the goals v Blues rhetoric. He turned twice a year for a long period of time and dines out on this.

Sorry absolutely nothing personal towards you, but I cannot have this guy at any price.

• Like 1

Willie Anderson and Bruce Rioch as a very young boy - then Tony Morley and Jimmy Rimmer.  But overall, God himself, Paul McGrath.  I had the privilege of seeing him at Villa Park for four seasons before I left to the US.

Watching him put Baggio in his pocket and shut down the Italians for Ireland at Giants Stadium in 94 was the greatest "I told you so" moment of my life (I was there with 20+ Italian-Americans who I'd been assuring for months prior that they'd not beat a team with God in the middle)

• Like 1

Brian Godfrey.

I remember the comment in the Argus when he signed:  Brian Godfrey comes from Flint and plays like he's made of it. - That did it for me as an impressionable teen!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â