Childhood Heroes

Deano - Altho I met him once at a train station on the way to one of our recent Wembley trips (can't remember which one) - and good god, we couldn't stop him talking about formations and tactics and team shape. It was great to hear, and he had nothing but positives to say about us, but he wouldn't bloody shut up, we nearly missed our train.

Also, God, of course, altho at the time I never realised HOW special he was, wasn't until I read his book later in life that I really understood where he was at during his time with us.

Ian Taylor, and, probably an odd one, but Tommy Johnson.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Alex Cropley

Can still hear and remember that sickening cracking sound dirty Albion bastard

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Never mind, I thought the 2010's can't possibly be worse than that... 👀 (If you were a kid then, then you have my sympathy)

Yeah it certainly wasn't an easy time. There weren't many in terms of heroes around when I really started having a deep interest in the club which is why I really "clung" to Jack I suppose. I know he left us in the end but it was amazing for every Villa fan to witness a local lad helping to lift the club out of its slump. 

Edit: Of course Deano, the gaffer, is and was a hero for myself and so many of us for what he did as well!

Edited by HeroesAndVillans

Andy Gray and Brian Little, privileged to have seen them both at their best.

• Like 3

As a kid in the 90s there was no real way to follow the Villa from Australia, so it was just Bozzy by default.

Once the Premier League became more accessible over here in the 2000s, it was Ian Taylor. My prized possession was the 00/99 striped shirt with Taylor 7 on the back.

Just now, JPAngel said:

As my username would suggest, Angel was my hero growing up. Even though I made this account in 2004 (at 14 years old), I'm still proud that he's never been forgotten!

I feel so bad for JPA after what Duran’s pulled. That video from him was special and you could hear and see how much playing for us meant to him. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Tony Daley. He opened my primary school fete once back in the day and missed a penalty against me in the beat the goalie thing me and my mates did with a 5 a side goal on the school field. I wish I could claim to have saved it, but he put it wide to the right (my left). There were a few of us donning the gloves, he had one shot against each of us. I can still see it clear as day as if it was yesterday.

I had many, many posters on my bedroom wall from the Big Ron/Taylor mkI eras from Shoot, Match and 90mins magazines. Lots of Dalian, Big Cyrille, Yorke - but Tony Daley was different gravy. I idolised him.

He took a few pens against me when I was a kid too at the old Stumps next to Villa Park. Took him a fee goes to score and I felt like the best goalie in the world. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â