The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Was break dancing a demo sport or is it an officially sanctioned sport? And if so, why? Squash for the longest time could not get past the demo phase. Apparently, it was sort of there at Paris

It's gone again for the LA Olympics. We instead get  flag football, baseball/softball, cricket, lacrosse and squash. So equally silly sports.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

So equally silly sports.

Some fun facts from ChatGPT

The second largest spectator sport in the world is cricket. Cricket enjoys immense popularity, particularly in countries like India, Pakistan, Australia, England, and the West Indies. Major cricket tournaments, such as the ICC Cricket World Cup and the Indian Premier League (IPL), draw large global audiences, making it the second most watched sport worldwide.

The number of people who play squash worldwide is estimated to be around 20 million. This figure includes both recreational and competitive players. Squash is particularly popular in countries like Egypt, the UK, Australia, and Pakistan, but it is played in over 185 countries globally.

Squash is a relatively popular sport in Sweden, though it's not as prominent as other sports like soccer or ice hockey. However, it has a dedicated community of players and several clubs across the country.

Key Points about Squash in Sweden:

1. Clubs and Facilities:

• There are numerous squash clubs throughout Sweden, especially in larger cities like Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Malmö. These clubs offer facilities for both recreational and competitive play.
    • Many fitness centers also feature squash courts, contributing to the sport's accessibility.
  2. Competitions and Tournaments:

• Sweden hosts various national and regional squash tournaments, catering to players of different skill levels.
    • The Swedish Squash Federation (Svenska Squashförbundet) is the governing body for the sport in the country, organizing national championships and promoting the sport at all levels.
  3. Historical Context:

• Sweden has had some success in squash on the international stage, though it's more famous for its achievements in other racket sports, like tennis and badminton.
    • In the 1980s and 1990s, Sweden produced a number of strong players who competed internationally.
  4. Youth and Development:

• There are programs aimed at encouraging youth participation in squash, with coaching available for young players at various clubs.

Overall, while squash in Sweden may not have the widespread popularity of other sports, it has a solid infrastructure and a committed player base, making it a thriving niche sport in the country.

Squash was big in my home town (Linköping) when I was a kid. They had a successful club team and I think the best ever Swedish player in Fredrik Johnson. 

Cricket they'll split the west indies which could be interesting

I'm sure they've also trialled the WI twenty twenty in the states in an attempt to grow it there which I'd then guess that with the Asian expats there it's got a good chance of doing ok

It's a far bigger sport than baseball or NFL

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

She is unbelievably shit. 

I actually can’t understand how she made it there. She looks like someone on strictly come dancing. And not one of the good ones. 

Its like someone just dropped her in there and said “oh by the way you’re competing in breakdancing, you’ve got 48 hours to learn a routine”

Worse than that

Accusations that she cheated to get there as she and her husband influenced the judging panel (been denied) and that she's effectively just mugged the whole thing off on purpose 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Cricket they'll split the west indies which could be interesting

I'm sure they've also trialled the WI twenty twenty in the states in an attempt to grow it there which I'd then guess that with the Asian expats there it's got a good chance of doing ok

It's a far bigger sport than baseball or NFL

They hosted some of the T20 world cup over there pretty successfully.  I'm not sure about demographics in LA but New York had crowds over 30k for India matches.  I'm surprised it's taken this long to get in the Olympics.

• 2 weeks later...

As ever, I feel able-ist guilt that I don't really take any interest in the paralympics. The nearest I get is the day's summary on the evening news. 

Assessing degree of disability for defining the class categories must be a nightmare. I noticed the other night that there is a swimming event for athletes with intellectual disabilities. To qualify for this class, competitors must have an IQ of 75 or lower. 

I forsee a new sporting career for Liz Truss. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â