The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

Posted (edited)

Just weird to have a high ranking Scientologist front and center at the closing ceremony.

Edited by sne

Overall it was probably one of the better Olympics. Paris showed enthusiasm and it was good to see crowds back after Tokyo, and an improvement after the chaos at Rio as well. 

As ever you have to ask if it was worth 11 billion for two weeks of sport, and for 2028 they are planning to add yet more sports to the event. It is almost too much stuff going on at the same time, you can only really focus on a few sports happening concurrently. I don't know how they are going to lower costs in the future to get more cities or city regions to bid in the future. Is it sustainable? I don't know.

Another one in the never ending list of US athletes that should have been banned but were allowed to compete thanks to US courts/USADA being a joke.

On 12/08/2024 at 09:51, The Fun Factory said:

Overall it was probably one of the better Olympics. Paris showed enthusiasm and it was good to see crowds back after Tokyo, and an improvement after the chaos at Rio as well. 

As ever you have to ask if it was worth 11 billion for two weeks of sport, and for 2028 they are planning to add yet more sports to the event. It is almost too much stuff going on at the same time, you can only really focus on a few sports happening concurrently. I don't know how they are going to lower costs in the future to get more cities or city regions to bid in the future. Is it sustainable? I don't know.

Think Paris spent $4.8bn and had a big push for being most sustainable ever etc. Still a huge amount of money but going in the right direction at least. 

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can anyone name a breakdance who took part in The Olympics other than Raygun?

She should get an agent and make a ton of money doing the (crap) dance on tour and on tv

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve struggled to find the routine online. Lots of commentary on it, lots of background story. The actual breaking, not so much.

Yes, I found this also. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I mean. Her style is obviously unconventional but I don't see the zero score. And I don't think the other girl was all that either. Think this had been blown out of proportion. 

She is unbelievably shit. 

I actually can’t understand how she made it there. She looks like someone on strictly come dancing. And not one of the good ones. 

Its like someone just dropped her in there and said “oh by the way you’re competing in breakdancing, you’ve got 48 hours to learn a routine”

Was break dancing a demo sport or is it an officially sanctioned sport? And if so, why? Squash for the longest time could not get past the demo phase. Apparently, it was sort of there at Paris

edit Rachael Gunn ... hence Raygun. 

Edited by fruitvilla

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â