The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

At least E-sport got it own "Olympic" games now (in Saudi Arabia of course) so we don't have to add that to the actual Olympics. Yet.

Posted (edited)

Really like this Marathon course. Both challenging and fun to look at.

Great that so many people are out on the streets watching.

Edited by sne

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The next step in 2026 is to just have a full on Olympians got talent contest 

Well, as has already been mentioned in this thread: 

Beginning at Stockholm in 1912, the Olympics included an arts competition. All of the entered works had to be inspired by sport, and had to be original and not previously published. Medals were awarded in five categories: architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture. As medals were awarded in five categories, the competitions were also named the ‘Pentathlon of the Muses’.

Link

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, as has already been mentioned in this thread: 

And as may have also been mentioned, Ireland's first ever Olympic medal was Jack Yeats in 1924 in the painting. 

• Like 1

Wonder if people watching the Olympic painting in 1912 sat there saying this is dull I’d rather be watching people spinning on their head  😀

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Olympic Taekwondo is awful to watch and not a patch on ‘ordinary’ Taekwondo sparring.

its just kick and flinch… yawn 

I had to suffer this last night as it was a Hungarian woman in the final so MrsH29 claimed ownership of the remote 

Needed a bit more cobra Kai type fighting for me 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Olympic Taekwondo is awful to watch and not a patch on ‘ordinary’ Taekwondo sparring.

its just kick and flinch… yawn 

Judo as well. Grown ass people tugging at each others clothes and then a ref that hands out yellow cards for whatever reason that decides the match. Awful. But of course the matches with the young Swedish girl who won the bronze were exciting... 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Wonder if people watching the Olympic painting in 1912 sat there saying this is dull I’d rather be watching people spinning on their head  😀

Unless it was a gripping grudge match between the reigning world champion Pablo Picasso and the wildcard Piet 'Squares' Mondrian. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unless it was a gripping grudge match between the reigning world champion Pablo Picasso and the wildcard Piet 'Squares' Mondrian. 

Bob Ross vs Salvador Dali would have been one for the ages.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Bob Ross vs Salvador Dali would have been one for the ages.

I can imagine the commentary.  "He's building them happy little trees.  Oh look, there's a flower by itself, I think he is going to paint a happy little friend.  This is a happy place, where little squirrels live here and play". 

• Haha 2

It can only be karma. After all the sports I’ve made herself watch the last two weeks, I’m now having to endure the rhythmic gymnastics. It’s like a cross between BGT and a cirque du soleil audition. Absolutely bonkers stuff. 

Stockholm 1912 continues to throw up good stories: 

Shizo Kanakuri (金栗 四三, Kanaguri Shisō, 20 August 1891 – 13 November 1983) was a Japanese marathon runner celebrated as the "father of marathon" in Japan. He holds the Guinness World Record for the longest time to complete a marathon with a time of 54 years 8 months 6 days 5 hours 32 minutes 20.3 seconds—Kanakuri retired from the men's marathon event at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics without informing the authorities, but Sveriges Television gave him the opportunity to complete his marathon 1967.

Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â