The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

Didn't know if to put it in here or in the racism thread. 

Is skateboarding the whitest sport in history? 

4 hours ago, peterw said:

Another thing - Paula Radcliffe is absolutely horrible to listen to. it sounds like she's gasping for air every 5 words or so.

Yeah I noticed that as well.....

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ice hockey must give it a run for its money, yachting, dressage and lacrosse. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

At the Olympics, yes. Grassroots, far from it. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Ice hockey must give it a run for its money, yachting, dressage and lacrosse. 

Well, give or take the odd 'Cool Runnings', all the winter sports. Which is hardly surprising. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

Grassroots, far from it. 

That's what confused me. I can understand yachting, dressage and lacrosse as @Seat68 said. I'd have thought skateboarding would be more accessible than almost anything to black participants. It's pretty weird. 

There's a big heritage of black skateboarders. 

The sports weird at the Olympics because it's not attracting the huge names, and it probably won't until it expands to the point that all the different disciplines are represented. But it probably should do that, it's a good sport and the vibe is very 'Olympic' - go out, enjoy it, have camaraderie with your peers.

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Swimming.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Cracking game in the mens vollyeball, Poland edging the US to reach  their first final since 1976.

Kenneth Williams – fredspoon

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Our best skateboarder is mixed race, but she seems the anomaly in that respect. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'd have thought skateboarding would be more accessible than almost anything to black participants. It's pretty weird.

Socio-economic bottleneck, isn't it? You're a black kid that can run fast or play "football" and there's a pathway through scholarships to college. You're a black kid that can fakie and kick flip, how do you convert that to a place at the Olympics unless your folks are proper wealthy. It's a relatively niche sport and there isn't the infrastructure to support youngsters coming through in the way there are with other sports.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That's what I thought. Possibly asthmatic? 

Worse. Sounds like covaids.

It must be gutting when you're running the 200m and you're considered your nations fastest at that distance and then you get to the Olympics and you're in the outside lane and you're overtaken by multiple runners before the bend even finishes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It must be gutting when you're running the 200m and you're considered your nations fastest at that distance and then you get to the Olympics and you're in the outside lane and you're overtaken by multiple runners before the bend even finishes.

Not as much as running the 5th fastest time ever in the 400 and still come second 😬

I'm going full Alex Jones here, but the Yanks have some new medicine, they're getting insane bursts right towards the end. I'm not having it lol.

Edited by TreeVillan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm going full Alex Jones here, but the Yanks have some new medicine, they're getting insane bursts right towards the end. I'm not having it lol.

They always do 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â