The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The brief clip of the long jump made me realise that I'd never seen anyone come anywhere near a record in my memory. And it's true, the record is over 30 years old. And the triple jump I actually remember being set by Jonathan Edwards, but that's nearly 30 years ago. And high jump has stood for 30 years as well. 

We may have peaked in respect of jumping. 

Other long standing records, women's 800m, which I believe everyone thinks is probably drug assisted, has stood for 40 years and even Semenya couldn't beat it, hammer throw has stood since the mid 80s and nobody has come near it and again questions over drugs, javelin since 96...

I read the long jump has stood since the late 60s. But thats from memory so could be wrong. 

Edited by Seat68

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

800m, which I believe everyone thinks is probably drug assisted,

Just a tad...maybe.....could be

18RECORDBOOK01-superJumbo.jpg

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I read the long jump has stood since the late 60s. But thats from memory so could be wrong. 

1991, the epic Lewis - Powell duel. That was some jumping

2 minutes ago, Tegis said:

1991, the epic Lewis - Powell duel. That was some jumping

At least Carl Lewis has some chemical help to get where he got. Failed a number of test before the 84 Olympics but that got swept under the rug.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

At least Carl Lewis has some chemical help to get where he got. Failed a number of test before the 84 Olympics but that got swept under the rug.

Everything from the 80s should be scratched. Not a clean person among them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The brief clip of the long jump made me realise that I'd never seen anyone come anywhere near a record in my memory. And it's true, the record is over 30 years old. And the triple jump I actually remember being set by Jonathan Edwards, but that's nearly 30 years ago. And high jump has stood for 30 years as well. 

We may have peaked in respect of jumping. 

Other long standing records, women's 800m, which I believe everyone thinks is probably drug assisted, has stood for 40 years and even Semenya couldn't beat it, hammer throw has stood since the mid 80s and nobody has come near it and again questions over drugs, javelin since 96...

I can still remember seeing Bob Beamon breaking the world long jump record by an astonishing 55cm in 1968. That stood for 23 years. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Yup. Think it was Bush jr that changed it so that the NCAA started reporting failed doping tests to USADA (still highly dubious organization) and not just to the school the athlete was training at (the ones who likely provided the chemicals in most instances)

Edit: And that information wasn't released to the rest of the world anyway.

Edited by sne

32 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I wouldn't presume everyone is clean now. There's always new advancements.

• Like 2

Just now, TreeVillan said:

Oh most certainly not, but the industrial scale of it in the 80s was a sight to behold.

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

Big nations are always a couple steps ahead. It's the athletes from smaller/poorer nations who get caught using previous gen substances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Yep, the yanks athletics have a whole team of drs dedicated to substances that haven't been banned yet, control what they can and cant take 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That looked a pretty disgusting decision in the Boxing , Richardson clearly won that 

I always get the impression that whoever gets the majority of the post round replay footage is usually the chosen one (and not because they actually dominated the round). 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, the yanks athletics have a whole team of drs dedicated to substances that haven't been banned yet, control what they can and cant take 

For sure, Russia for example take all the punishment (probably because they're public enemy number one at the moment) but they're not doing anything that the US or China haven't been doing at the same time. 

I'm getting really annoyed with BBC coverage, too much nattering about shite. Barely showing anything from the field events then skimming over them.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â