The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hodgkinson  wins the 800 meters. And at her age a chance to be a multiple winner. Great stuff.

The poster girl of British athletics for the next few years. 

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Duplantis wins the pole vault and the most given gold in the whole Olympics. Doubt there is any athlete in any sport that is so far ahead of his competitors. Let's see if he can break another world record. 

6.10, new Olympic record. 6.25 next up.

Didn't seem even to break sweat. I still find it baffling that Bubka only won the Olympics once when he broke the record something stupid like 30 times.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I still find it baffling that Bubka only won the Olympics once when he broke the record something stupid like 30 times.

Boycott of Los Angeles, won in Seoul, ballsed it up in Barcelona and injured in Atlanta.

And then squeezed in 6 world championship gold medals :D

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't seem even to break sweat. I still find it baffling that Bubka only won the Olympics once when he broke the record something stupid like 30 times.

Guess Bubka didn't go to the LA one due to the cold war and the Soviet skipping it. Duplantis already has 2 Olympic golds. He's 24 years old...

Nice thing with the pole vault is that all of the guys seem to genuinely like each other and cheer for each other. A bit like in the Decathlon.

And now he has a new world record. He is immense! 6.25!

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Having 80k to yourself, setting a WR and the Gold. I'd say it's the pinnacle of his sport. Cannot be topped

• Like 1

Great day again today, Simone Biles is human, if the yanks shout loud enough they get a result.

Brilliant from Keely and Duplantis is already miles ahead, and he's only 24 

6.50 probably isn't that far away

1 hour ago, sne said:

Duplantis wins the pole vault and the most given gold in the whole Olympics. Doubt there is any athlete in any sport that is so far ahead of his competitors. Let's see if he can break another world record. 

6.10, new Olympic record. 6.25 next up.

6.25 and cleared easily could go higher 

What an athlete 

It's absolutely incredible to watch Armand Duplantis

I kind of want to try pole vaulting, but I'm pretty sure I'd die.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I cannot help comparing the solidarity that all the international competitors have/show/respect with each other at these games, with all the rioting etc that's going on in the the UK at the moment.....

Oh and well done Keely, a great run and well deserved!👏

Edited by delboy54

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's absolutely incredible to watch Armand Duplantis

I kind of want to try pole vaulting, but I'm pretty sure I'd die.

I'd be like the French Dude B)

skateboarding is rubbish. proper shite. Its just very young people falling from their boards. I get why its in there to try and be modern - i mean dressage and maybe fencing is all a nod to the past and in some sports privileged upbringing - but how can you have an event where the elite are just those who go round the course for 10 seconds or so until they fall? Nonsense.

Edited by peterw

4 minutes ago, peterw said:

skateboarding is rubbish. proper shite. Its just very young people falling of their boards. I get why its in there to try and be modern - i mean dressage and maybe fencing is all a nod to the past and in some sports privileged upbringing - but how can you have an event where the elite are just those who go round the course for 10 seconds or so until they fall? Nonsense.

Yeah it's been pretty dreadful watching.  If it wasn't for Sky Brown it probably wouldn't even be shown over here.

11 minutes ago, peterw said:

skateboarding is rubbish. proper shite. Its just very young people falling of their boards. I get why its in there to try and be modern - i mean dressage and maybe fencing is all a nod to the past and in some sports privileged upbringing - but how can you have an event where the elite are just those who go round the course for 10 seconds or so until they fall? Nonsense.

It could/should have stayed in the X-Games.

The park skateboarding is better than the street stuff. It's obviously still not quite as good as the very best in the sport can manage but it's still a decent watch.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

6.25 and cleared easily could go higher 

What an athlete 

There was an interesting comment from one of the Beeb commentators yesterday when he broke the world record.  Said something like "he can go much higher, but he'll keep going 1cm at a time - keep his shoe sponsor happy".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There was an interesting comment from one of the Beeb commentators yesterday when he broke the world record.  Said something like "he can go much higher, but he'll keep going 1cm at a time - keep his shoe sponsor happy".

And his bank account. He could likely go a couple cm higher with the pole he's currently using but to go much higher he needs a stiffer pole (Kenneth) and get used to to that. Probably needs to get even stronger too. He already has the technique and the speed for that.

Him and Karsten Warholm are going to race the 100m at an upcoming Diamond League meet. Apparently Mondo claims he is a sub 10.40 runner at the 100m

Just now, sne said:

And his bank account. He could likely go a couple cm higher with the pole he's currently using but to go much higher he needs a stiffer pole (Kenneth) and get used to to that. Probably needs to get even stronger too. He already has the technique and the speed for that.

I reckon he cleared 6.35m last night with at least one of his jumps. Can easily push higher right now. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â