The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

20 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Yes, tests have shown high levels of testosterone in previous competitions and she's been banned.

Ok, cool, do you have reputable source for these test results please?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like your thinking. 

Although I wonder if everybody would choose the same sequence... 

I think eventually they probably would. You wouldn't want to be in anyone's wake, so they'd probably all start front crawl. Then maybe from fastest stroke to slowest for best chance of calm water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Ok, cool, do you have reputable source for these test results please?

A mate in Wolverhampton taxi licensing. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A mate in Wolverhampton taxi licensing. 

The IBA have a page about their testing, which some have claimed is highly dubious. It could be that the tests were rigorous and the results genuine and Khelif shouldn't be able to participate, I don't honestly know, but their own statement reads like this:

Point to note, the athletes did not undergo a testosterone examination but were subject to a separate and recognized test, whereby the specifics remain confidential. This test conclusively indicated that both athletes did not meet the required necessary eligibility criteria and were found to have competitive advantages over other female competitors.

https://www.iba.sport/news/statement-made-by-the-international-boxing-association-regarding-athletes-disqualifications-in-world-boxing-championships-2023/

On 18/07/2024 at 12:45, Avfc96 said:

Is it just me or are the Olympics not the event they used to be? If you're in the UK, you now got limited coverage on the BBC as Eurosport have the exclusive rights and all of the 'superstars' of the past 10--15 years have retired.

It's because of the coverage.

My mates got a dodgy box, so every morning I go round and pick and choose what I want to watch. He's fine with that. One minute I'll ask him to put the swimming on then I can choose something else.

Then I go home

It's well documented the BBC lost out heavily to Discovery/Eurosport in the last bidding.

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think eventually they probably would. You wouldn't want to be in anyone's wake, so they'd probably all start front crawl. Then maybe from fastest stroke to slowest for best chance of calm water.

I'd choose the blind panic/doggy paddle with a lilo for the first length. Then snorkel.

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

You also start different strokes in different ways. Only two of them start with a dive so you would always pick one of those first. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You also start different strokes in different ways. Only two of them start with a dive so you would always pick one of those first. 

Make it like Mario Kart and give em some Rockets bananas and oil and you got a real sport happening 

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

You should be allowed to choose which order you do your strokes in the swimming medley. That'd make the final length much more interesting.

The same goes for the mixed 4x400 relay on the track. 

When they first introduced that race it was so interesting because strategies varied. So you could have a last leg with a woman miles out in front but up against a man who would reel her in. 

These days the order is mandated so it’s nowhere near as interesting

I've always assumed that the standard relay strategy was to put your fastest runners on the first and last legs, with the two 'spear carriers' doing as best they can in the middle two. 

The french/argie game was absolutely mental from the 85th min, to the 111th.

Henry (coach) going mental at his team for not winding down the clock after the game finished 😂

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It’s 3 that dive in isn’t it? 

Posted (edited)
On 01/08/2024 at 17:20, Lichfield Dean said:

Has there been any evidence of raised testosterone? I'm not sure that an XY abnormality necessarily means that is the case unless you can point me to a resource that says otherwise.

Also Khelif seems to have lost loads of fights to female boxers, it isn't like she's some kind of monster that lays waste to all in front of her.

I'm not sure that the images of the other boxer giving in and crying weren't also partially just because she wasn't a very good boxer. It's kind of hard to know for definite.

No, not really. Not evidence that meets any kind of acceptable standard. I think the IOC is right about standards of proof for biological sex. But that doesn't mean they're off the hook. Maybe today's messy outcome was a sort of an inevitability in 2024, but I do feel like the IOC perhaps could have done a better job of protecting both athletes from the hatred they've both faced today since the bout. I can't think Khelif wanted all this negative attention and humiliating speculation about her sex, and Carini was just instantly made into the sickening poster child of the far right, and that doesn't seem fair to her either. I feel like I want to blame someone for creating such a vulnerable situation for the athletes, but I don't know. I suspect that IOC thought it was being super enlightened and progressive but hadn't considered fully how it would feel for the women. Lack of imagination perhaps. A need for more framing and preparation from a PR perspective? Don't get me wrong. I don't have any big answers, but my heart goes out to the boxers, and I wish them both well. I feel angry at right wingers for their sheer scientific stupidity, too.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Our guy in the 100 meters Jeraniah Azu false start. New rules say he is disqualified straight away. Very harsh. 

I thought this had been in place for 10 years or more. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your right since 2009. Didn't realise that.

What interesting if they go too close to the starting, the right side, but too close, it’s considered a false start. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â