The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

7 aside football in Sweden is was 5 aside is in England. Kinda. 

Don't follow Rugby, do the best players in the world play in regular rugby, 7 aside or both?

Rugby Sevens has a very long tradition as a competitive sport in its own right, and it’s well suited to the Olympics because it is usually played across a week or a weekend, with multiple fixtures per day. See Hong Kong Sevens.

It’s much more accessible to general audience because a lot of the complicated stuff in the scrums and rucks is taken out of the game, and there’s no real kicking game.

Think it’s been one of the best additions to the Olympics tbh.

Also, it’s not actually a given that the best professional 15-a-side players are dominant in sevens. Yes someone like DuPont, but there are plenty of elite sevens players who are mediocre at 15-a-side and vice versa.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Rugby Sevens has a very long tradition as a competitive sport in its own right, and it’s well suited to the Olympics because it is usually played across a week or a weekend, with multiple fixtures per day. See Hong Kong Sevens.

It’s much more accessible to general audience because a lot of the complicated stuff in the scrums and rucks is taken out of the game, and there’s no real kicking game.

Also, it’s not actually a given that the best professional 15-a-side players are dominant in sevens. Yes someone like DuPont, but there are plenty of elite sevens players who are mediocre at 15-a-side and vice versa.

Fair enough, Sweden is not a rugby nation but I can watch regular rugby and enjoy it. 7's feels pointless to me like arena football, 3x3 basketball and sprint skiing.

45 minutes ago, sne said:

As expected this new technology purple tracks in the athletics is already producing quick times. This, the new carbon plate shoes and the digital pacesetter has really changed the sport.

It will be interesting to see if any of the many dubious world records get beaten. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

It will be interesting to see if any of the many dubious world records get beaten. 

By new dubious records. Sure there will be records but I still think you earn more money by breaking records at the Diamond league events... Obviously that depends on what nation you represent and how your sponsor contract looks.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bit strange having the stadium w/o the flame/balloon thing. Is that a first?

Agreed. And it isn't even a flame this time. Just some bright lights and steam.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The Olympics used to be about amateurs though. Maybe there is a case for 5 a side football being more deserving of an Olympic sport than 11 aside, even with the u23 restrictions?

I wasn't commenting on whether Sevens should be at the olympics or not. I actually don't think it should.

I was just saying that comparing it to 7 aside football isn't a good comparison because of how much bigger and more professional Rugby Sevens is as a sport in it's own right.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough, Sweden is not a rugby nation but I can watch regular rugby and enjoy it. 7's feels pointless to me like arena football, 3x3 basketball and sprint skiing.

Conversely, I cant watch rugby, its awful in my opinion, but 7's holds my attention and I do enjoy it.

• Like 2

One for the Swedes but there is a German equestrian horse jumping guy named Christian Kukuk. Just a great name that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Dupont had to lose weight for it I believe.

Truls!

Had to watch the table tennis on ARD with a VPN because Swedish telly showed horse jumping but who cares. Onto the final! Halcyon days stuff.

Posted (edited)

I‘m done with the BBC now. A couple of hours ago, I really enjoyed watching the big Teddy lad, throw the Korean fella. They’ve shown it in full twice since. There is so much sport going on and if you sit and watch their live stream, you just end up seeing the same thing over and over. 

Edit: oh wait. That last one was the actual final. Shows how much I know 🤦‍♂️

Edited by choffer

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I‘m done with the BBC now. A couple of hours ago, I really enjoyed watching the big Teddy lad, throw the Korean fella. They’ve shown it in full twice since. There is so much sport going on and if you sit and watch their live stream, you just end up seeing the same thing over and over. 

Edit: oh wait. That last one was the actual final. Shows how much I know 🤦‍♂️

The BBC no longer have the exclusive rights, Discovery have them which means the coverage is incredibly limited.

Edited by Avfc96

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Conversely, I cant watch rugby, its awful in my opinion, but 7's holds my attention and I do enjoy it.

I was lucky enough to be able to go to the Hong Kong rugby 7's competition some years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it, the games were short and fast with hardly any stoppages. Ideal sport for the Olympics. 

Not a huge fan of "normal" rugby though...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

Finally time for Athletics. 

Indeed. Now I'm interested. 

Great run from Keeley Hodgkinson in the 800m heat. 

You should be allowed to choose which order you do your strokes in the swimming medley. That'd make the final length much more interesting.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

You should be allowed to choose which order you do your strokes in the swimming medley. That'd make the final length much more interesting.

I like your thinking. 

Although I wonder if everybody would choose the same sequence... 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â