The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

I don’t want to be harsh to the losing boxer here but watching the clips, she didn’t protect her head and was smashed immediately. A top level XX boxer would have hit her hard too. 

• Like 1

I posted this in the Trns thread but guess it belongs in here.

She is female but has XY cromosomes. She should never been alowed to compete. Caster Semenya had the same and is now banned. So you need to ask yourself, why is a competitor with high levels of testosterone due to XY cromosomes allowed to box. Very dangerous. The IOC have alot to answer, especially as she was banned from the boxing world championships for this reason too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That this the  way it will be going. More urban sports in temporary venues, lower cost, more central locations, lower age of the tv/streaming audience. Expensive competitions which are dominated by rich countries could be in trouble- rowing, equestrian competitions etc.

Equestrian getting ditched for sports like 3x3 basketball would be an excellent move. Equestrian is absolutely **** shit

9 hours ago, sne said:

3x3 (street basketball) really doesn't need to be a Olympic sport. 

I'd prefer having a sport like that in the Olympics than actual full court basketball with pro NBA players in it. It's like golf, if it was a team event for amateurs it might have a place in the Olympics. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can only assume all the people replying asking why he played the game then are American 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I posted this in the Trns thread but guess it belongs in here.

She is female but has XY cromosomes. She should never been alowed to compete. Caster Semenya had the same and is now banned. So you need to ask yourself, why is a competitor with high levels of testosterone due to XY cromosomes allowed to box. Very dangerous. The IOC have alot to answer, especially as she was banned from the boxing world championships for this reason too.

Has there been any evidence of raised testosterone? I'm not sure that an XY abnormality necessarily means that is the case unless you can point me to a resource that says otherwise.

Also Khelif seems to have lost loads of fights to female boxers, it isn't like she's some kind of monster that lays waste to all in front of her.

I'm not sure that the images of the other boxer giving in and crying weren't also partially just because she wasn't a very good boxer. It's kind of hard to know for definite.

48 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Has there been any evidence of raised testosterone? I'm not sure that an XY abnormality necessarily means that is the case unless you can point me to a resource that says otherwise.

Also Khelif seems to have lost loads of fights to female boxers, it isn't like she's some kind of monster that lays waste to all in front of her.

I'm not sure that the images of the other boxer giving in and crying weren't also partially just because she wasn't a very good boxer. It's kind of hard to know for definite.

Yes, tests have shown high levels of testosterone in previous competitions and she's been banned.

Quite looking forward to tonight's football - the weird grudge between Argentina and France means that this is now possibly the biggest football match in Olympic history.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

the weird grudge between Argentina and France means that this is now possibly the biggest football match in Olympic history.

So it's a total non-event then. If I owned a football club I would have a specific clause in all my players contracts stating they couldn't play in the Olympics. Futsal or Tecball would be more appropriate. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'd prefer having a sport like that in the Olympics than actual full court basketball with pro NBA players in it. It's like golf, if it was a team event for amateurs it might have a place in the Olympics. 

Each to their own I guess. 7-man Rugby is another half arsed version I could do without. Just like I wouldn't watch adults play 7-man football.

Think the only amateurs in the Olympics was played out half a century ago or more. Simone Biles has a net worth of £15m or so and she's there.

Posted (edited)

Finally time for Athletics. 

Edit: Great to see the 80k stadium is almost packed. Top stuff for a morning pass.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Each to their own I guess. 7-man Rugby is another half arsed version I could do without. Just like I wouldn't watch adults play 7-man football.

That's not really a fair comparison though.

7 aside football isn't really a sport in it's own right. 7s Rugby is. It's essentially it's own sport

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not really a fair comparison though.

7 aside football isn't really a sport in it's own right. 7s Rugby is. It's essentially it's own sport

7 aside football in Sweden is was 5 aside is in England. Kinda. 

Don't follow Rugby, do the best players in the world play in regular rugby, 7 aside or both?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

7 aside football in Sweden is was 5 aside is in England. Kinda. 

Not in the same way Rugby Sevens is. There are huge Rugby Sevens tournaments all over the world. It's a very big sport. It's not even remotely the same as 7 aside and 5 aside football.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't follow Rugby, do the best players in the world play in regular rugby, 7 aside or both?

Sometimes yes. Antoine Dupont just captained the French team to gold and he's one of the best french rugby players (15 aside) of all time.
Sevens is basically a bit like 20/20 in Cricket. It's a condensed version of the sport but it's still a huge, professional sport. It's not comparable to 5/7 aside football

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Not in the same way Rugby Sevens is. There are huge Rugby Sevens tournaments all over the world. It's a very big sport. It's not even remotely the same as 7 aside and 5 aside football.

Sometimes yes. Antoine Dupont just captained the French team to gold and he's one of the best french rugby players (15 aside) of all time.
Sevens is basically a bit like 20/20 in Cricket. It's a condensed version of the sport but it's still a huge, professional sport. It's not comparable to 5/7 aside football

Nice. Just looks like half a sport when watching it. Just like 3x3 basketball or parallel slalom.

As expected this new technology purple tracks in the athletics is already producing quick times. This, the new carbon plate shoes and the digital pacesetter has really changed the sport.

Paris Olympics: What to know about the new purple athletics track?

What’s the new tech behind the track?

The running track aims to enhance the athletes’ performances and prevent injuries. It was created through Mondo’s partnership with the Milan Polytechnic’s Polymer Engineering Lab.

It has a top layer that makes contact with the shoes and a bottom layer with a lower density that is meant to be compressed when the athletes run. The track is not completely rubber on the bottom but is rather filled with air cells of a geometric shape.

“The main difference between [this track and] the previous technology is the shape of the air cells which you have in the lower part of the track,” Luca Andena, an associate professor of material science and technology at the Polytechnic University of Milan who performed the modelling for the track, told Euronews Next. 

“When the athletes land on the track, part of the energy of the run is transferred to the track, and then the track gives back. Depending on how this transfer works, it could work against you by [stopping] you or it can have a net propulsive effect,” Andena said.

“What we found out is that with this new geometry, we basically have a track, which is at the same time a little bit softer, which we believe athletes will enjoy (…) but at the same time, we have a net impulse which should give a slight increase in performance compared to the previous one,” he added.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2024/08/01/what-to-know-about-the-paris-olympics-new-purple-athletics-track

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The Olympics used to be about amateurs though. Maybe there is a case for 5 a side football being more deserving of an Olympic sport than 11 aside, even with the u23 restrictions?

The bloke on the BBC commentating on that GB rowing gold medal. Telling us he was out of his seat because of the excitement but in the most boring monotone ever. 🤦‍♂️

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The Olympics used to be about amateurs though. Maybe there is a case for 5 a side football being more deserving of an Olympic sport than 11 aside, even with the u23 restrictions?

Nah. Have the real sport or don't have it at all IMO. And only allowing athletes who doesn't make money from their sport would be both silly and impossible in the modern world.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â