The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

Currently watching the mens gymnastics, and I just don't get the scoring, our UK guys on the high bars do a routine with a high difficulty and do a great routine (in my view), yet the Chinese guy decides to do a lower difficulty routine and despite not doing enough handstand things in his routine, according to the BBC commentary team, yet scored higher.....

Sarah Sjöström with the gold in the 100m freestyle. She planned to sit this distance out and focus on the 50m but thought why not.

44 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Currently watching the mens gymnastics, and I just don't get the scoring, our UK guys on the high bars do a routine with a high difficulty and do a great routine (in my view), yet the Chinese guy decides to do a lower difficulty routine and despite not doing enough handstand things in his routine, according to the BBC commentary team, yet scored higher.....

I had the Eurosport commentary on. They were saying that the British guys weren’t locking out their arms dead straight, the handstand (on the bar) was off centre., Hands moved more. All little things to us, but I suppose at that level makes a huge difference 

10 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I mean this is from the Guardian. Guardian Link 

'...International Boxing Association, whose president, Umar Kremlev, told the Russian news agency, Tass, that DNA tests had “proved they had XY chromosomes and were thus excluded from the sports events”.'

Yeah, it's very awkward once you get into this area. Having XY chromosomes doesn't mean they aren't female. I know some people like to do this "I know what a woman is" nonsense but unfortunately for them nature doesn't always fit their blinkered world view and there are various chromosomal disorders out there, and definitely there are some where girls can have XY chromosomes.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the case here, but you know, this kind of thing isn't always a 100% black and white test (albeit I guess rules have to be decided upon somehow).

Of course this then opens the wider questions about gender disorders and cases like Caster Semenya.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it's very awkward once you get into this area. Having XY chromosomes doesn't mean they aren't female. I know some people like to do this "I know what a woman is" nonsense but unfortunately for them nature doesn't always fit their blinkered world view and there are various chromosomal disorders out there, and definitely there are some where girls can have XY chromosomes.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the case here, but you know, this kind of thing isn't always a 100% black and white test (albeit I guess rules have to be decided upon somehow).

Of course this then opens the wider questions about gender disorders and cases like Caster Semenya.

Yeah it's very complicated.

And saying things like "ThEy'Re LeTtInG mEn FiGhT wOmEn!!11!" doesn't help. It' snot that straight forward

15 minutes ago, sne said:

3x3 (street basketball) really doesn't need to be a Olympic sport. 

That this the  way it will be going. More urban sports in temporary venues, lower cost, more central locations, lower age of the tv/streaming audience. Expensive competitions which are dominated by rich countries could be in trouble- rowing, equestrian competitions etc.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Bit strange watching the women's volleyball and Brazil's star player Thaisa with fake boobs, fake butt and fake lips wearing full make-up. You do you but kinda unusual doing so much plastic surgery while still active.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That this the  way it will be going. More urban sports in temporary venues, lower cost, more central locations, lower age of the tv/streaming audience. Expensive competitions which are dominated by rice countries could be in trouble- rowing, equestrian competitions etc.

Yeah, but I doubt even Red Bull is interested in sponsoring that crap, and they sponsor everything. Guess it's the US market they are going for with it but it's a terrible viewer sport. Fun to play thou.

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, but I doubt even Red Bull is interested in sponsoring that crap, and they sponsor everything. Guess it's the US market they are going for with it but it's a terrible viewer sport. Fun to play thou.

Yes but NBC have paid $7.75 billion for the tv rights so basically the IOC is America's bitch boy in terms of sports and scheduling. The true Olympic spirit. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â