The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

In regards to swimming why is it always freestyle not front crawl? You can swim any technique you want but unless its front crawl you will come last. It must be an historical quirk.

It just means any style other than Breastroke, Butterfly or Back Stroke.

Front crawl is just basically the "Fosbury Flop" of swimming. You're allowed to use any technique but that one is so much better than any others that it's just become the default

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Also this probably comes up every Olympics but why are India so crap at most sports? It is obviously not a priority for the country even as am example of soft power. I wouldn't expect them to be at the top of the table  but they are currently level with Moldova at the moment.

Sport isn't a big thing in India, except for cricket which dominates everything. 

There is no sponsorship of athletes like their is in the Western countries.

Most people are more interested in putting food on the table, competing in the Olympics does not bring in money. 

There are no role models for kids to want to get into these particular sports.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It just means any style other than Breastroke, Butterfly or Back Stroke.

Front crawl is just basically the "Fosbury Flop" of swimming. You're allowed to use any technique but that one is so much better than any others that it's just become the default

Yes I know. But if it is the default why just not name it after it? It's like having a 100 meter race with one competitor to use hurdles if he wanted to.  It is semantics but it is just a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes I know. But if it is the default why just not name it after it? It's like having a 100 meter race with one competitor to use hurdles if he wanted to.  It is semantics but it is just a bit odd.

It is I guess but as you say I guess it's just historic. The name came from when people did use a variety of strokes but front crawl just became the default. 

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sport isn't a big thing in India, except for cricket which dominates everything. 

There is no sponsorship of athletes like their is in the Western countries.

Most people are more interested in putting food on the table, competing in the Olympics does not bring in money. 

There are no role models for kids to want to get into these particular sports.

Most of those reasons could have been said about China 30 years ago.  There must not be the political will to change it, which I thought may have evolved given the rising prominence of India in the world.  Does not seem to be a priority for the country it seems.

Posted (edited)

Truls Möregårdh just knocked out world no1 Wang Chuqin in table tennis. That is massive considering the sports status in China.

Table tennis is the biggest amateur recreational sport in China with an estimated 300 million players.
:o

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Villadevon said:

Men's Triathlon finally gets under way. Strange not seeing the Brownlee brothers.

I wouldn't be mad about jumping into the seine for a swim. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

How the hell are they allowing men fight woman in the Olympics! Just watched the one man lose to a woman, but this could be dangerous. Disgraceful really.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/29/two-olympic-boxers-to-fight-in-womens-category-despite-fail/

And the other one:

Kinda wanna see what happens when the two face off against each other. 

Yee was class, commentator was doing my head in though, even when Yee was passing Wylde he has saying “I’m not sure Yee has enough in the tank” when it was clear he’d got him. 

31 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

How the hell are they allowing men fight woman in the Olympics! Just watched the one man lose to a woman, but this could be dangerous. Disgraceful really.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/29/two-olympic-boxers-to-fight-in-womens-category-despite-fail/

And the other one:

Idiot GCs don't know what a woman is. Both athletes are Cis and always have been.

• Like 1

Disappointed with the coverage of the surfing. Haven’t seen any sign of it on the bbc but Discovery+ have it and have made it so dull. 
Stunning location, the heaviest wave going, some really top surfers but the commentators have ruined it. It feels like they don’t really understand what they’re talking about but just keep repeating the same thing over and over. 
Might have to mute them for the final. 

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Idiot GCs don't know what a woman is. Both athletes are Cis and always have been.

I mean this is from the Guardian. Guardian Link 

'...International Boxing Association, whose president, Umar Kremlev, told the Russian news agency, Tass, that DNA tests had “proved they had XY chromosomes and were thus excluded from the sports events”.'

Impressive to beat the odds and making it all the way to the Olympics with a name like this.

Augustin Loser name incorrect 😂 Loser Bruno : r/olympics

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â