The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

Home nation (almost) always does well in the Olympics. Athletes are given both more funds and better opportunities to train and prepare to what they usually get. And home nations always gets better calls and judgments from the refs and judges. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

So like professional boxing then.

I thought that in previous Olympics the boxers wore protective head gear, now they aren't wearing it.

I understand that amateur boxing head gear is mandatory whereas in professional boxing head gear isn't. When was this changed?

It's kinda like the opposite of Wimbledon. Where Wimbledon starts with the good stuff and then you get the crap afterwards.

25 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I thought that in previous Olympics the boxers wore protective head gear, now they aren't wearing it.

I understand that amateur boxing head gear is mandatory whereas in professional boxing head gear isn't. When was this changed?

Women still wear it apparently.

Table Tennis is fun North Koreans ranked 16th out of 16 against China for the Gold Medal.

Loads of Chinese fans no North Koreans apart from staff.   

• Like 1

American tennis brat, Coco Gauff, a break point down, has spent the last fifteen minutes haranguing the referee while her opponent looks on, noted.

Someone really ought to be telling her to shut up and get on with it - hope she loses.

3 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Not sure what made the change but lot more cuts now. They should bring the headguards back. 

6 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Few games ago they changed it all. It used to be headgear and you got points for punches that made contact

Now its basically just professional rules

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Amazing swim by the British team in the relay. 

Can’t get my head around Leon Marchand doing both the fly 200m and breaststroke 200m semi finals in one evening and winning both comfortably - even could’ve pushed the world record in the 200m breaststroke if he wanted to…

…yet will be 2nd favourite to win in both finals :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

American tennis brat, Coco Gauff, a break point down, has spent the last fifteen minutes haranguing the referee while her opponent looks on, noted.

Someone really ought to be telling her to shut up and get on with it - hope she loses.

I didn't see this but I'd be surprised if Coco was clearly wrong. She's pretty measured usually and only complains if she's really been screwed.

Andy Murray. The best.

Alongside Villa fan Dan as well.

20 hours ago, sne said:

Home nation (almost) always does well in the Olympics. Athletes are given both more funds and better opportunities to train and prepare to what they usually get. And home nations always gets better calls and judgments from the refs and judges. 

They also get more qualifiers than they would normally. In a lot of the sports (like Boxing) there's a limited field size so it's easier to win the olympics than a world championship for example. If you are getting extra places in limited field events you can rack up a few medals handy enough. 

• Like 1

In regards to swimming why is it always freestyle not front crawl? You can swim any technique you want but unless its front crawl you will come last. It must be an historical quirk.

Also this probably comes up every Olympics but why are India so crap at most sports? It is obviously not a priority for the country even as am example of soft power. I wouldn't expect them to be at the top of the table  but they are currently level with Moldova at the moment.

Fun fact of the day:

If everyone called Tom in the GB team were their own country, that country of Tom's would be 8th in the medal table!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â