The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

I haven’t read this thread so apologies if this has already been discussed… but was the masked torchbearer meant to be an assassin from Assassin’s Creed games?

I'm not even remotely patriotic (let alone royalist), but let's face it - no-one's ever going to top James Bond and the Queen parachuting into Wembley stadium. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not even remotely patriotic (let alone royalist), but let's face it - no-one's ever going to top James Bond and the Queen parachuting into Wembley stadium. 

It wasn't the real James Bond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought it was an interesting idea- making the river the focus, one that sounds incredible on paper, but it suffered from a lack of focus as a result. I can't begin to imagine the logistics of trying to get that to work, but it must have been incredibly difficult. 

I also don't think it was a coincidence that when everything came together at the end and it picked up- the light show, Celine etc, it was all in one smaller controllable space.

In short a creditable attempt to do something different, but unfortunately I don't think it really worked, and I would be very surprised if at the next games we're not back in a stadium for the ceremony.   

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Was Jean Michelle Jarre involved? His sort of thing. 

I've been reliably informed that Jean Michelle Jarre is a fraud*

*Allegedly 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I've been reliably informed that Jean Michelle Jarre is a fraud*

*Allegedly 

This skit will be in my head for the next couple of hours now.

That's not a complaint.

• Haha 1

Terry Wogan (RIP) Would have made the ideal commentary on last nights opening ceremony 😊.

Mechanical horse, Celin Dion and the hot air balloon were the highlights for me.  I thought the rest of it was very disjointed but felt sorry for all those performers who obviously worked so hard in training and rehearsing for this one off, only for the weather to be so sh£te.

BBC coverage. You can watch BBC1 and listen to a bunch of people pontificating and reminiscing.  Or press the red button and, you know, actually watch some Olympic sports. Haven't they got this arse about face? 

Not shown a single bit of sport on the main channel, treating the sport like a side show. 

9 hours ago, Hobsons Choice said:

I thought it was an interesting idea- making the river the focus, one that sounds incredible on paper, but it suffered from a lack of focus as a result. I can't begin to imagine the logistics of trying to get that to work, but it must have been incredibly difficult. 

Yes, definitely an idea that SOUNDS good but any kind of critical thinking would question how you make it a spectacle. 

Certainly The UK would never run a dreary national event spectacular down The River Thames in the pouring rain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently Sydney also hoisted the Olympic flag upside down. 

Now I can see how it could happen once, but surely SURELY all subsequent hosts would have a full proof system to ensure it never happened again. 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Certainly The UK would never run a dreary national event spectacular down The River Thames in the pouring rain.

I understood that reference. 

Screenshot_2024-07-27-09-25-03-97_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve only seen the Gojira bit but that was ace

Huh, I totally missed that bit! I feel like I have to like Gojira because YouTube music always insists on playing Stranded when whatever I'm listening to has finished. It's like I have no choice in the matter.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I understood that reference. 

Screenshot_2024-07-27-09-25-03-97_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Thing is a) this shows the Paris thing isn't even original, so it's not like they've innovated like a lot of people are suggesting and b) it should have shown them how dull a procession of boats down a river can be. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently Sydney also hoisted the Olympic flag upside down. 

Sliiiiightly smaller and less obvious in 2000 and with a 576i broadcast on a CRT display, but yes they did :D

qF3bTBS.png

community-kenjeong.gif

I don't understand this shooting stance. Do they have to stand like that? It's 10 metres and they're all a bit crap. 

Also, the scoring system. Shoot near the centre! 21.6 ! Yes! What?....

German shooter is a beauty though.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â