The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

17 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Other than very few disciplines, it is very niche

We do a smaller version here for the Swedish championships yearly during the course of a week and everything concentrated to one (smallish) town. All being broadcasted on our BBC equivalent. You get to watch the top players in Varpa, Trampoline, Wakeboarding, Rope-skip, Canoe polo.

It's ace! :D

• Like 1

On 18/07/2024 at 15:09, Mic09 said:

Without ranting about Olympics too much (and I sort of like them) you hit the nail on the head.

Other than very few disciplines, it is very niche. Even in athletics, 100m sprint, how many people can name 3 sprinters?

And then you have 200m. 100m hurdles. 200m hurdles. Throwing of objects of various sizes and shapes, and that's before we get to stuff like a 100 different categories of swimming. Racewalking. WALKING. 

The 'top' sports (football, basketball, rugby etc) are more concerned about leagues and own championships. 

It's entertaining, sure. It's quirky. But why is it celebrated so much? Is it purely the 'branding' of it? 

but that's exactly why I like it...

for 4 years I have zero interest in these sports, I don't watch the world championships for any of them, I didn't watch a good chunk of the commonwealth games but now I will watch just enough of them to make it interesting before going in to another 4 year hibernation

and the "top sports" shouldn't be here, football, tennis etc have no place here, I might watch some hockey but give me shooting or canoeing or gymnastics over Olympic football, give me the sprint climbing thing and break dancing over Olympic basketball (although that might be interesting this year seeing as the yanks didnt win the world cup)

• Like 1

I have always loved Athletics and probably being a coach at an athletics club helps that, we have a member in the Olympic team with an outside chance of a medal (Ben Pattinson - currently fastest British 800m runner). Very inspiring for my kids who are also members (my lad won his first race yesterday - super proud Dad moment). I have lots of time for Cycling and Triathlon but the other stuff I can take or leave.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Crowd trouble at the opening football match, Andy Murray using it as a swansong for his career - is this really what the olympics is meant to be? 

Nope, but the Olympics has been losing it's appeal for a long while IMO.

2 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Nope, but the Olympics has been losing it's appeal for a long while IMO.

Same as all sporting events, everything is now so readily available and watchable that the main tournaments have lost their value 

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Same as all sporting events, everything is now so readily available and watchable that the main tournaments have lost their value 

Not just that, it lost it's main star in Bolt after he retired in 2016 amongst some others like Phelps (albeit he retired in 2012).

The last Olympics got a bit of a free pass due to Covid.

But there are multiple sports that shouldn't be there, (football, golf, tennis and boxing amongst others).

Boxing still being there is disgraceful considering they now allow professional boxers to come back and fight amateur's which is utterly wrong.

Multiple drug cheats allowed to compete and the fact a convicted child rapist is allowed to complete for the Netherlands in the volleyball.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bickster said:

Prancing about on a mat

Jumping over a box with airbourne gambols

Playing on the swings in a way they weren't intended to be used

Circus acts on a piece of wood

Ah,  a gymnastic connoisseur I see. :) I can actually picture you on the pommel-horse 

Edited by Tegis
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Ah,  a gymnastic connoisseur I see. :) I can actually picture you on the pommel-horse 

You mean circus acts with a padded box?

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

You mean circus acts with a padded box?

Padded is a is a stretch :D , but yeah

chinesehorse2.gif

7 hours ago, bickster said:

There are multiple competitions there that aren't even remotely what I'd consider sports

Horse dancing

Jumping off a high platform while doing airbourne gambols

Water dancing

Prancing about on a mat

Jumping over a box with airbourne gambols

Playing on the swings in a way they weren't intended to be used

Circus acts on a piece of wood

Hip Hop dancing

Crashing over waves on an ironing board

then we have the its a sport but they dicked about with it...

Shit American Rugby with tea towels

Handball but on a beach

Volleyball but on a beach with skimpy outfits

You forgot

Shooting standing sideways with one eye covered shouting at a man to release the orange pidgeon

walking like you’re late for the bus but can’t run

swimming as fast as you can while pretending to be an eagle who’s stuck in water

swatting a white ball into a hole

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â