The 2024 Paris Summer Olympics

sne

Only 10 days away. Time for a thread. Could be an interesting one and hopefully be remembered for the sport and nothing else.

Sweden has some very solid gold opportunities but I'm more ignorant than usual about the overall standards of the troop and their chances.

I find it terrible that Russian, Iranian, north Korean and Belarusian athletes are allowed to compete given the war in Ukraine. They should be left as outcasts. 

37 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I find it terrible that Russian, Iranian, north Korean and Belarusian athletes are allowed to compete given the war in Ukraine. They should be left as outcasts. 

Yeah, quite a lot of athletes that should not be allowed to be there. Be it nationality, doping or criminal records.

56 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, quite a lot of athletes that should not be allowed to be there. Be it nationality, doping or criminal records.

If you took out all the athlete's that are doping there wouldn't be anyone left. 

Got to be honest all I’m interested in is 100 m and 200 m men’s also the heavyweight. super heavyweight boxing title the rest to me is neither here or there. massively enjoyed Ovett Cram and Tory boy back in the day, same as Thompson

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Got to be honest all I’m interested in is 100 m and 200 m men’s also the heavyweight. super heavyweight boxing title the rest to me is neither here or there. massively enjoyed Ovett Cram and Tory boy back in the day, same as Thompson

Does that refer to Coe?

Looking forward to the breakdancing 

One of several things that I would zero interest in if it wasn't at the Olympics and in two weeks time I will be an expert in 

Unfortunately though I don't think I'll watch that much of it cos of work and even then it'll be 10pm highlight shows, could do with being out west and a time delay 

I love the Olympics but have to confess, my favourite event nowadays is the Rugby 7s.

this year’s competition should be brilliant, just because Antoine DuPont is playing for the  France 7s and took the 6 Nations off to train for it. 

It should be epic! 

I'm lucky enough to be going to 3 days of the Olympics in early August. Due to see athletics, track cycling, diving, skateboarding, beach volleyball and rhythmic gymnastics so quite a mix! Hoping the negative press/ sentiment around it is a bit like London 2012 in that everyone thought it would be crap beforehand, but it actually turned out brilliantly. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't count on the cycling "medal factory" being quite so productive this time. The loss of Katie Archibald from the Women's Edurance squad could be very significant.

Time to become an absolute expert on track cycling and Athletics and then not think about them again for another 4 years B)

• Like 1

Is it just me or are the Olympics not the event they used to be? If you're in the UK, you now got limited coverage on the BBC as Eurosport have the exclusive rights and all of the 'superstars' of the past 10--15 years have retired.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Time to become an absolute expert on track cycling and Athletics and then not think about them again for another 4 years B)

Im going all in on Breaking

No, not a clue

• Haha 1

Athletics, handball, men's basketball, cycling/mountainbike, stuff Sweden might be good at (apart from horse riding) like beach volley, swimming and I'm sure some stuff I've yet to find out about.

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

Is it just me or are the Olympics not the event they used to be? If you're in the UK, you now got limited coverage on the BBC as Eurosport have the exclusive rights and all of the 'superstars' of the past 1--15 years have retired.

The lack of terrestrial coverage has definitely hurt it recently

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

When is the festival of unpopular sports over? ;) 

Without ranting about Olympics too much (and I sort of like them) you hit the nail on the head.

Other than very few disciplines, it is very niche. Even in athletics, 100m sprint, how many people can name 3 sprinters?

And then you have 200m. 100m hurdles. 200m hurdles. Throwing of objects of various sizes and shapes, and that's before we get to stuff like a 100 different categories of swimming. Racewalking. WALKING. 

The 'top' sports (football, basketball, rugby etc) are more concerned about leagues and own championships. 

It's entertaining, sure. It's quirky. But why is it celebrated so much? Is it purely the 'branding' of it? 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â