Amadou Onana

wishywashy

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Bloke in the lower Holte close to me said we have spent 50 million quid on a glorified cheerleader

Possible response: 'Well thank god someone is supporting the team and players because you certainly **** aren't'.

Edited by lexicon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Onana loves it here, but important he doesn’t suddenly think that this is it.  He needs the same work ethic and drive that has seen Emery transform other players in this team.  He is by no means the finished article and experience suggests we will see the best of him next season 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Plenty of time.

Trains with him every session for club and country.

If he wants he can watch Rosco and copy Rosco.

Some people just don't have that vision Tielemans has, doesn't matter how much time they have they will never be able to play forward passes like that.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2024 at 13:52, rodders0223 said:

I think he's a great age, good talent, and option and a good buy overall but atm he's a bit of a problem.

Scoring a goal every other game and we have won 5/6 games though so we have faced worse ‘problems’ over recent history :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2024 at 11:14, macandally said:

I think Onana loves it here, but important he doesn’t suddenly think that this is it.  He needs the same work ethic and drive that has seen Emery transform other players in this team.  He is by no means the finished article and experience suggests we will see the best of him next season 

This is true, though he's given interviews already where he talks about how much he's learning from Unai and how he wants to be here to improve as a footballer, so I'm not too concerned about this being the case

Awful this evening, second time he has appeared disinterested. 

My cousin is a ST holder at Everton and he told me he goes missing when he feels like it. Thought it was sour grapes. Not so sure now. 

3 hours ago, jim said:

My cousin is a ST holder at Everton and he told me he goes missing when he feels like it. Thought it was sour grapes. Not so sure now. 

He's in for a shock if that's the case, because he'll be sat on the bench for plenty of matches.

I think its getting clearer that he should play the tougher matches. Away from home (well this was away but a league 1 team). I’m not sure about Ipswich approach but I assume they play good football, if that was the case then he starts. For tough home games he starts as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Should have been gliding around like prime Yaya Toure tonight but looked half arsed.

I don't think Bailey or Barkley looked that up for it either, tbh.
I think there's an element of preserving energy levels in games like last night's. And if you don't play at the right tempo then you won't pull a packed defence - even if it's a just a League One team - out of position. Also, are we really expecting Onana to be more than just tidy on the ball? He's not going to play incisive passes (at least not at this stage of his career), that's more the role of Barkley/Tielemans. And his physicality alone isn't going to make things happen in the midfield if there's no forward momentum/space being created by the passing and movement of the other central midfielder or the centre backs, who (esp. Torres) are integral to how we progress the ball in our methodical build-up.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Should have been gliding around like prime Yaya Toure tonight but looked half arsed.

I think he played for that reason. Started the season well but having a bit of a blip. With how Emery treated Rodger’s I see the same with Onana, he’s playing him and including last night to continue to drill him in exactly what he wants. I have full faith he will become consistently good but he’s in for a fight when Kamara gets fit.

Onana gave us something we didnt have with size and strength, i think when Bouba is back we have 4 in Youri/Onana/Kamara/Barkley that can play in the middle and can be used/mixed & matched vs our opponents - We had nothing like Onana previously and i think games last night are more  for break teams down types - I was far more dissapointed with Bailey for that reason

9 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The man has gone from missing piece of the jigsaw to apparently trash in the eyes of some in the space of a month. We probably want to take a good look in the mirror to establish why we tend to veer so violently between these extremes because it's more about us as fans than Onana (or anyone else) as a footballer.

Is anyone above critique? No. But some of the responses here make me think you need to give your head a wobble.

On top of that people seem to forget he's only 23 at a new club. He had a bad game yesterday but didn't look any worse than the other senior players that started. They all seemed to be holding back.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â